Reduced ship capacity

Namvvet68

My guess is that people will start to post here about an unusual number of "move over" offers, and at that point, we will be able to read the tea leaves.  If a return to cruising means reduced capacity, there is obviously a lot of shuffling of already booked passengers that has to be done and it is quite possible that PCL will start in on that initiative even before they make any sort of public announcement.

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

My guess is that people will start to post here about an unusual number of "move over" offers, and at that point, we will be able to read the tea leaves. 

I don't think people will get move over offers to reduce capacity to meet CDC guidelines.

More likely, they will be told their cruise has been cancelled ...

...due to operational reasons.

...or, perhaps due to government regulations.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I don't think people will get move over offers to reduce capacity to meet CDC guidelines.

For those cruises that are already above the 'reduced capacity', I think you are spot on!!  However, I'm finding it very hard to believe that there are a lot of sailings that are already booked to their new capacity that they will actually have to do this.   There will be shifting of what ship you may actually sail on as not all will start sailing at the same time.  That will prompt some cancellations, to be sure.  If that's what the post meant by 'move over offers', then yes, that will probably ring true.  As for the highly coveted 'move over offers' as we've come to know them, then, that is doubtful.  

I did read in the CDC technical requirements, the crew will need to each have their own room.  No more sharing.  This will be interesting.  I've seen some of those cabins and it doesn't appear they can put up a barrier to split them in half (they are already pretty small).  I've heard talk they may occupy a lesser desirable deck of passenger cabins, and that is all speculation, but it makes sense.  On the Grand and Crown class, that may be deck 8, mid to forward.  I've also read that it would be optimal for all passengers to be housed in balcony cabins or better, again, speculation, speculation, speculation.  Time will tell, I guess. 

All of this was written without knowing the efficacy of the vaccine, though ... and so, that could be a game changer.  Meanwhile, in the state of California, looks like we are working hard to achieve herd immunity before we have access to the vaccine.  Ugh!!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Not sure I follow

• Assume a Thanksgiving 2021 cruise is now fully booked with 3,500 passengers
  • Assume that tomorrow it is announced that all cruises in calendar year 2021 must sail at no more than 40% capacity.
  • The Thanksgiving cruise can sail, but can do so with no more than 1,400 people

Does the cruise line cancel the cruise, or try to "move over" 2,100 people to a later cruise?  You are suggested the former and I can't see a single reason why that would be the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I have no doubt that they will be running at reduced capacity, and I think that everyone who has booked inside cabins for the earliest sailings will end up with balconies.

Or an offer to rebook a balcony with cruiser paying the difference / refund offer if no balconies available. I can see inside staterooms being blacked out to avoid booking over capacity soon

ADDED :: I think anyone who books an inside room is risking cancelation 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

ADDED :: I think anyone who books an inside room is risking cancelation

And I think they'd be crazy to ask someone to suddenly pay more because they're now required to occupy a balcony.

It's much better business-wise to give something, (that really doesn't cost you anything) in order to accommodate a paying customer, versus giving them the choice of paying additional money, or not sailing at all.

I just looked at my December 1st Queensland cruise. The difference between inside and obstructed ocean view is $100 [14 day cruise, solo test pricing]. Are inside & obstructed ocean view usually that close? 

As to what Princess will do,  we are all just guessing at this point. BUT I'd be pi$$ed if I booked a balcony and got bumped / understand that those booking inside rooms would be equally upset. So do they block off every other room? My 3 future cruises are filling up fast so they should do something 

19 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

And I think they'd be crazy to ask someone to suddenly pay more because they're now required to occupy a balcony.

It's much better business-wise to give something, (that really doesn't cost you anything) in order to accommodate a paying customer, versus giving them the choice of paying additional money, or not sailing at all.

So those who paid full price for a balcony don’t get a discount ?

• Like 1

Just now, memoak said:

So those who paid full price for a balcony don’t get a discount ?

Why would you be eligible for a discount?

You paid for a balcony, and you got one.

What Princess does in order to accommodate others has nothing to do with your booking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'd be pi$$ed if I booked a balcony and got bumped

I don't foresee them cancelling an existing balcony booking if they have to upgrade everyone else.

My guess is they'll have to bump those with insides up, gratis, or give them a move over offer.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Does the cruise line cancel the cruise, or try to "move over" 2,100 people to a later cruise?  You are suggested the former and I can't see a single reason why that would be the case.

What I meant was that half the people would be told their cruise was cancelled.

Of course, they will probably put some marketing spin on it using buzz words like

re-purposed, etc.

I don't think princess will be offering refunds or major upgrades to get people to move

off of "too full" cruises.  It will be said politely, but it will be "too bad".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I did read in the CDC technical requirements, the crew will need to each have their own room.  No more sharing.  This will be interesting.  I've seen some of those cabins and it doesn't appear they can put up a barrier to split them in half (they are already pretty small). 

I think reducing passenger capacity, and singleing-up crew can be don't together.

First, for passengers, you want the count to be below some numer, while you maximize revenue.

Delete all the passengers in inside cabins.

Tada!  You now have cabin space for single crew!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I think reducing passenger capacity, and singleing-up crew can be don't together.

First, for passengers, you want the count to be below some numer, while you maximize revenue.

Delete all the passengers in inside cabins.

Tada!  You now have cabin space for single crew!

I agree with you except. the inside cabins are dispersed throughout all decks.  That was the reasoning for blocking off one deck, or at least a great portion of it for staff / crew.  You never know what they are really going to do, though.  Time will tell.  

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

I don't foresee them cancelling an existing balcony booking if they have to upgrade everyone else.

My guess is they'll have to bump those with insides up, gratis, or give them a move over offer.

We shall see, I have 5 interior cabins booked and paid for in June.  Havent heard anything from PCL yet, will keep you posted

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Namvvet68 said:

We shall see, I have 5 interior cabins booked and paid for in June.  Havent heard anything from PCL yet, will keep you posted

We also have insides booked, and I remember during the Diamond sailing that there was concern for folks confined to insides. With an order to run at reduced capacity, it only makes sense to eliminate the inside cabins first.

• Like 3

....or they just leave some balcony cabins vacant to allow for reducing capacity....should covid break out...they move people from insides into the balconies?

How do we know they aren't already blocking some cabins to reduce capacity?

They might just appear sold, but Princess actually just blocked them out....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

What I meant was that half the people would be told their cruise was cancelled.

Of course, they will probably put some marketing spin on it using buzz words like

re-purposed, etc.

I don't think princess will be offering refunds or major upgrades to get people to move

off of "too full" cruises.  It will be said politely, but it will be "too bad".

There have been some posts lamenting getting only a $25 credit for moves when there have been ship changes.

I think the capacity reduction will be something like:

We apologize, but we will be unable to accomodate you on voyage XXX due to operational reasons.

Again with a massive $25 credit.

No true move-over offer, where the bribe keeps getting bigger until you accept.

I think those days are gone for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

There have been some posts lamenting getting only a $25 credit for moves when there have been ship changes.

I think the capacity reduction will be something like:

We apologize, but we will be unable to accomodate you on voyage XXX due to operational reasons.

Again with a massive $25 credit.

No true move-over offer, where the bribe keeps getting bigger until you accept.

I think those days are gone for a while.

and the first to be 'cut' will be those that booked at the lowest fares ...

• Like 3