Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I haven't been in a supermarket for 3 months, but my Sainsbury deliveries don't seem to have any problems just yet. 

We went to Morrisons today. Couldn't move for produce. Stacking up in the isles. I thought they were all backed up at the docks. It wasn't like that pre Brexit, room to move then. Boris told them ' move it all to Woking '. Incompetent in my view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I haven't been in a supermarket for 3 months, but my Sainsbury deliveries don't seem to have any problems just yet. 

No shortages in any supermarket I have been in, but let's face it, after only 4 days there shouldn't be any shortages anyway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I've had no problems with fresh fruit and veg either. Asda delivered me a beautiful fresh cauli this morning. Cornwall UK on the label.

Avril

• Like 3

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We haven’t had any problems with our Tesco deliveries either, but the next time an item is missing I shall be sure to blame it entirely on Brexit 😉 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We haven’t had any problems with our Tesco deliveries either, but the next time an item is missing I shall be sure to blame it entirely on Brexit 😉 

The only item unavailable on my Waitrose order this morning is skimmed milk (substituted to semi-skimmed). Everything else available. Not sure why no milk!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

The only item unavailable on my Waitrose order this morning is skimmed milk (substituted to semi-skimmed). Everything else available. Not sure why no milk!

Normally, if there are supply issues, production of skimmed will be stopped first, as it is less popular than skimmed.

Have you tried long life (UHT)skimmed milk ? I defy you to tell the difference from fresh when used in tea or coffee, and the long life means you can keep 6 or 7 litres in your larder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Normally, if there are supply issues, production of skimmed will be stopped first, as it is less popular than skimmed.

Have you tried long life (UHT)skimmed milk ? I defy you to tell the difference from fresh when used in tea or coffee, and the long life means you can keep 6 or 7 litres in your larder.

I always keep some UHT milk in, handy to have if you have run out and when you get back from being away so you can have a cuppa without having to go out and get milk or stop off en-route. Bread in the freezer too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I have got some long life and I agree it it SO much better than a few years ago and I cannot tell the difference either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Yes, I have got some long life and I agree it it SO much better than a few years ago and I cannot tell the difference either.

I now prefer the taste of UHT, to me it tastes creamier although the fat content is the same. I have a dozen or so which is about a fortnights supply. The stuff delivered now has a use by date of next summer.

Cruising trivia - someone was complaining that they did not have semi skimmed, only skimmed and full fat. Thinks, put half of each in your tea and stir it 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I now prefer the taste of UHT, to me it tastes creamier although the fat content is the same

Allegedly the higher heat treatment, compared to pastuerisation, improves the taste. We haven't bought fresh milk for 20 years or so. 

Plus, of course UHT is cheaper! 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Plus, of course UHT is cheaper! 

Not in our Tesco's it isn't.  If you buy the large bottles of fresh milk it is cheaper.  It is generally the other way round abroad though, with UHT being the cheapest option.

We always keep some in though as spares and have increased those stocks since covid.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tring said:

Not in our Tesco's it isn't.  If you buy the large bottles of fresh milk it is cheaper.  It is generally the other way round abroad though, with UHT being the cheapest option.

We always keep some in though as spares and have increased those stocks since covid.

You need to go to Aldi - 50p per litre if my memory serves me right. Fresh skimmed milk in Tesco equates to 70 p per litre.

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You need to go to Aldi - 50p per litre if my memory serves me right. Fresh skimmed milk in Tesco equates to 70 p per litre.

Yes Aldi, you can pick up eggs, bread, welding mask and inflatable dartboard at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yes Aldi, you can pick up eggs, bread, welding mask and inflatable dartboard at the same time.

Its one  of  the joys of shopping in Aldi and Lidl - you never know what you will come home with!

And you save money! 

• Like 1