Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If the authorities didn't build things just in case all the fuss would be reversed. If course 63% of lorries in those parks will be foreign registered. With all the lorries parked all over Kent for the last few years, a few lorry parks are well overdue.

Try telling that to the exporters of perishable goods, with their lorries stuck in Kent, rotting produce, unable to get through to the tunnel or ferry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Try telling that to the exporters of perishable goods, with their lorries stuck in Kent, rotting produce, unable to get through to the tunnel or ferry.

I worked in Kent for many years. Lorries parked outside people's homes and offices were not welcomed. You don't know what will happen , you are guessing

I’ve been reading that a lot of European hauliers aren’t even going to bother to come to the U.K. from late December onwards, as they don’t want to be stuck in any chaos.

it’s therefore possible that traffic may not be as bad as feared....... but we won’t be getting any fresh food deliveries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve been reading that a lot of European hauliers aren’t even going to bother to come to the U.K. from late December onwards, as they don’t want to be stuck in any chaos.

it’s therefore possible that traffic may not be as bad as feared....... but we won’t be getting any fresh food deliveries.

I have always wondered why I and other road users, like UK trucks have to pay a fortune to drive on EU motorways, but foreign drivers can use ours foc. I am sure you are aware of all the Romanian Truck parked on the roads around Allington and Ashford. Perhaps we can now benefit from this new level playing field and Kentish hauliers, like my cousin can be competitive again.

• Like 3

Listening to this mornings news the powers that be who are doing the negotiations

are a little more upbeat today and have said

"If we sort the fishing rights out, we could be very well days away from a deal." 

So until the fat lady sings I will remain positive .

As for food laid in lorries rotting away . ..  I used to do work with perishable transport

just like my son does now . You would be surprised how old some apples really are before 

you clap eyes upon them sat in Tesco's telling you best before the end of the week .

Same when they get to some warehouses and put into Hibernation (Chilled and gassed  )

Technology and old tricks keep food fresh longer than you think , Store Apples near spuds 

and the apples stop the potatoes sprouting.

As for the more urgent fresh foods that need to be here fast, then just as before ,

we would use airfreight . I'm not saying there will not be any problems ,there will be 

but not as bad as some would have us believe . 

Even Mrs Kalos says the best advice is wait and see don't second guess problems that 

we have not even got yet .

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

Project Reality now, according to HMG.

Most of these only say "may need" and that further information will be provided during December. I guess the reason it's not been updated yet is because there is no decision on a deal or no deal. So even the no deal scenario might  not require all the extra documents suggested, so why not wait until we know, instead of rubbing your hands in glee and saying I told you so.

No one likes a no it all Harry.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Which perishable goods do we export to the EU? The majority comes the other way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Most of these only say "may need" and that further information will be provided during December. I guess the reason it's not been updated yet is because there is no decision on a deal or no deal. So even the no deal scenario might  not require all the extra documents suggested, so why not wait until we know, instead of rubbing your hands in glee and saying I told you so.

No one likes a no it all Harry.

May, could, might, perhaps. Will doesn't feature much. When I was involved in writing standard, ( British and, sorry European ) when we couldn't agree, we put that clause into the '  too difficult box by using words like may, could , might instead of must, will. We called them weazle words. I am imagining some folk foaming at the mouth and rubbing their hands with glee. A bit Monty Pythonesque.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

See the pessimistic doom and gloom merchants are back out again on this forum.

Never went away. Say the same thing over and over, it still won't make any difference. Just think of all those folk in European forums. Where will they sell all their tulips, sprouts,swedes. Where will they get the fish to have with there hips and mayona.........that's another thing. Mahon will go bust............it will all be sorted.

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I had also read that most countries will continue to accept UK driving licenses, surely you're not trying to re-create project fear Snow Hill, are you?

Never mentioned U.K. Licences, however you will still need to carry it when driving abroad and it’s likely you will need and IDP, which you didn’t need for EU countries until now. 

It depends whether or not there is a deal for final answer. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Never mentioned U.K. Licences, however you will still need to carry it when driving abroad and it’s likely you will need and IDP, which you didn’t need for EU countries until now. 

It depends whether or not there is a deal for final answer. 

Regardless of any likely deal, it is inevitable that an IDP will be needed, but, in the scale of things, that is no big deal, just an inconvenience that we could do without.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe some semi-positive good news for existing EHIC holders if the BBC have got this right:

British travellers will still be able to access emergency health care in the European Union. European Heath Insurance Cards, (EHIC) cards will remain valid until they expire. According to the UK government, they will then have to be replaced by a "UK Global Health Insurance Card" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A summary of the deal has been published.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948093/TCA_SUMMARY_PDF.pdf

para 118 states the following ...

118. In addition, the Protocol will ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme – continue. This means individuals who are temporarily staying in another country, for example a UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday, will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay

It there looks like the EHIC will continue but maybe in a different format.

Brian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, batholiver said:

Maybe some semi-positive good news for existing EHIC holders if the BBC have got this right:

British travellers will still be able to access emergency health care in the European Union. European Heath Insurance Cards, (EHIC) cards will remain valid until they expire. According to the UK government, they will then have to be replaced by a "UK Global Health Insurance Card" 

Just my luck that my EHIC expires on 4/1/21 !

But I won’t be travelling into Europe any time soon. Hopefully they will sort out the new system by the time I start travelling again.....

I really wish they could share with a full list of changes to expect next year. I really want to be aware of the changes, even the minor ones that we will have to face next year. Its very important, especially for cruise lovers who are frequently travelling. Hope to see it soon 

18 hours ago, BrianI said:

A summary of the deal has been published.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948093/TCA_SUMMARY_PDF.pdf

para 118 states the following ...

118. In addition, the Protocol will ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme – continue. This means individuals who are temporarily staying in another country, for example a UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday, will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay

It there looks like the EHIC will continue but maybe in a different format.

Brian

Good that the EU have granted that, plus they will also recognise U.K. driving licences so no need for IDP. Will still need Green Card for Insurance which covers only the minimum level of insurance in country being visited, so if comprehensive is required this will cost extra. 

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Good that the EU have granted that, plus they will also recognise U.K. driving licences so no need for IDP. Will still need Green Card for Insurance which covers only the minimum level of insurance in country being visited, so if comprehensive is required this will cost extra. 

Although I never used it I believe my insurance currently includes full cover for driving abroad, whether this will continue outside the EU remains to be seen.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Although I never used it I believe my insurance currently includes full cover for driving abroad, whether this will continue outside the EU remains to be seen.

Mine used to, but now only covers third party with the Green Card. The European RAC cover I had with my car ended on December 31st 2019, so I need to purchase additional cover when I next drive in France. 

This is what my policy says

“We can also issue you with an annual Green Card. This gives you the minimum insurance for the country you’re visiting, which is the equivalent of, or less than, our third party insurance. Or we can give you a maximum of 90 days foreign use extension on your comprehensive or third party fire and theft policy for a small charge (trips for three days or less are free). “

Edited by Snow Hill

I am not sure why people are so worried about the EHIC card for cruising.  You have to have full insurance cover anyway, so what use would you make of the EHIC?  Most people are treated on the ship if they fall ill, which is not covered by EHIC?  Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I am not sure why people are so worried about the EHIC card for cruising.  You have to have full insurance cover anyway, so what use would you make of the EHIC?  Most people are treated on the ship if they fall ill, which is not covered by EHIC?  Am I missing something?

Say you fall over ashore and break your leg. Having an EHIC card makes  life a lot easier in the A&E department. 

I had to accompany of ours to the local hospital in Spain when she broke her arm. Thr first thing they asked for was her EHIC card.

Just now, wowzz said:

Say you fall over ashore and break your leg. Having an EHIC card makes  life a lot easier in the A&E department. 

I had to accompany of ours to the local hospital in Spain when she broke her arm. Thr first thing they asked for was her EHIC card.

Yes agree with that.  Although your cruise insurance would cover that anyway.  Only time I have used EHIC was on a driving holiday and husband wasn't well.  I have been ill twice on a cruise and both times was treated on the ship.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree with that.  Although your cruise insurance would cover that anyway.  Only time I have used EHIC was on a driving holiday and husband wasn't well.  I have been ill twice on a cruise and both times was treated on the ship.

As wowzz said having the EHIC card is much more convenient than handing over a credit card and claiming money back from the insurer, or having to phone the insurer hoping they will pay the hospital direct. No doubt holiday insurance premiums will rise to cover the extra expenses or if they introduce an alternative scheme, my guess is that it is unlikely to be free as the EHIC card is. I have never needed to use mine but have always carried it whenever in Europe just in case.