Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Clearly Aldi's use by dates must be much shorter than Tesco's.😇

You misunderstand me. Shelf life is the same, but 1 litre of milk lasts us over two weeks, so 2 litres would go off before we used it all.

Just now, wowzz said:

You misunderstand me. Shelf life is the same, but 1 litre of milk lasts us over two weeks, so 2 litres would go off before we used it all.

It's strange how we all differ, we go through just short of 3 X 2 litre bottles each week. We do have porridge with milk, which might be sacrilege to our Scottish posters, and cereal each day for breakfast, as well as custard and white sauces some weekends, but for the rest it's just used in tea or coffee. It does not seem excessive to us, but clearly it's much higher than some others use.

• Like 2

Just now, terrierjohn said:

It's strange how we all differ, we go through just short of 3 X 2 litre bottles each week. We do have porridge with milk, which might be sacrilege to our Scottish posters, and cereal each day for breakfast, as well as custard and white sauces some weekends, but for the rest it's just used in tea or coffee. It does not seem excessive to us, but clearly it's much higher than some others use.

We use 4 lt per week, cereal and latte (or milky coffee as we call it)

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Basically we just use milk for 2 cups of tea each per day, hence our low usage.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

You need to go to Aldi - 50p per litre if my memory serves me right. Fresh skimmed milk in Tesco equates to 70 p per litre.

Fresh milk in Tesco is £1.09 for 4 pints which is more than 2 litres and is same for full cream, semi skimmed or skimmed.  The same price in Aldi which is another local shop for us.  Our nearest shop is M&S Food which charge £1.15 for 4 pints, so still a whole lot less than 70p per litre.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tring said:

Fresh milk in Tesco is £1.09 for 4 pints which is more than 2 litres and is same for full cream, semi skimmed or skimmed.  The same price in Aldi which is another local shop for us.  Our nearest shop is M&S Food which charge £1.15 for 4 pints, so still a whole lot less than 70p per litre.

You are correct, I was just looking at the 1litre size, because I don't buy the bigger cartons,  as it would just be wasted due to our low usage. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Where do you get your 2 litre bottles?  All the shops I mentioned sell fresh milk by the pint, so large bottles are 4 pints.  A litre is only 7/8th of a pint.

This discussion  of  milk prices does seem to bring us to a new low.  We  must be feeling at a loose end today for some strange reason 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tring said:

Where do you get your 2 litre bottles?  All the shops I mentioned sell fresh milk by the pint, so large bottles are 4 pints.  A litre is only 7/8th of a pint.

This discussion  of  milk prices does seem to bring us to another low.  We  must be feeling at a loose end today for some strange reason 🙂

At least, unlike some other threads, we haven't started an argument about milk prices!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You are correct, I was just looking at the 1litre size, because I don't buy the bigger cartons,  as it would just be wasted due to our low usage. 

Milk can be frozen, so possible to freeze  in smaller quantities once opened, but maybe you are not as tight fisted as we are........

Edited by tring

Just now, tring said:

Milk can be frozen, so possible to freeze your in smaller quantities, but maybe you are not as tight as we are........

We did do that in the dim and distant past, but I think I can live with the fact that I'm  spending 20p a week too much on milk!

• Like 1

Presume you all know about filtered milk, sold in Tesco and Sainsbury's (no idea about other supermarkets). Bit more expensive, but the use by date is usually about 3 weeks hence and it keeps forever once opened. Tastes the same as the normal stuff. I started buying it to put in the fridge for when we got back from cruises, now I'm on my own use it just because it keeps so well.

And there endeth my domestic tip of the day.😄

• Like 3

Just now, AnnieC said:

Presume you all know about filtered milk, sold in Tesco and Sainsbury's (no idea about other supermarkets). Bit more expensive, but the use by date is usually about 3 weeks hence and it keeps forever once opened. Tastes the same as the normal stuff. I started buying it to put in the fridge for when we got back from cruises, now I'm on my own use it just because it keeps so well.

I hadn’t heard of it until my mother started buying it during the first lockdown. It suits my parents well!

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Never heard of it before. We get milk delivered on the doorstep (along with eggs, cream etc).

Useful tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

This discussion  of  milk prices does seem to bring us to a new low.  We  must be feeling at a loose end today for some strange reason 🙂

I think you will find that a litre is 1.76 pints, but you're right the pack size is 4pts, which equals 2.271 litres.

Edited by terrierjohn
Sorry the original figure must have been us pints.

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Never heard of it before. We get milk delivered on the doorstep (along with eggs, cream etc).

Useful tip.

Milkmen have disappeared here.

I do remember getting the milk delivered in bottles years ago. The birds used to love to peck at the silver foil. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Milkmen have disappeared here.

I do remember getting the milk delivered in bottles years ago. The birds used to love to peck at the silver foil. 

Ditto here. We had deliveries until the chap took to delivering at about lunch time, not ideal in the summer when I was working. 

Gold foil when I was a child - Guernsey milk? We woz posh.😄

PS - difference between men and women beautifully highlighted in the last 2 posts, ha ha.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1