Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

UK holidaymakers could be banned from visiting EU countries next year as Brits may fall under non-EU travel restrictions - in place to help stop the spread of coronavirus - when the Brexit process is finalised. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/12/uk-travellers-could-barred-from-eu-travel-from-1-january-because/

Just one of many changes, but potentially very serious, as it means we could all be barred from entering Europe from 1 January.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And to add to that, from today’s Times:

Brexit no-deal would see British planes banned from flying to Europe

There was a report on BBC news earlier saying that Ursula von der Leyen had made a statement about something that could protect flights and I think other travel initially.  I did not take much notice, but I think it was about temporary arrangements so flights are not grounded and if it that can be done for EU flights I am sure the UK will do something similar on our side.  There will be a lot of unexpected effects though and a lot of the financial effect will no doubt be blamed on COVID.  Useful that it is all happening at once, isn't it.

Regards other travel our FCO are doing well at present in stopping lots of travel.  In normal times there has been no shortage of non EU residents travelling in Europe, so I very much doubt it will make any difference in the long term and will in fact likely be thought about along with other measures I mentioned above.  May be another form to fill in but never stopped Brits travelling to elsewhere, especially on cruises. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Would this thread be better titled ‘Project Fear 2’? 😉 

Only if you're have a fear of facing facts and reality.

The intention is simply to reflect day to day,  hour to hour even, changes in what's going to be happening on the travel front from 1 January. It's a very fluid situation and makes planning anything very difficult, given the increasingly likely no deal scenario which we were all assured wouldn't happen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

UK holidaymakers could be banned from visiting EU countries next year as Brits may fall under non-EU travel restrictions - in place to help stop the spread of coronavirus - when the Brexit process is finalised. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/12/uk-travellers-could-barred-from-eu-travel-from-1-january-because/

Just one of many changes, but potentially very serious, as it means we could all be barred from entering Europe from 1 January.

I think reality will apply and EU countries will be desperate for the millions of British holidaymakers and their £s which props up their tourist industries.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Only if you're have a fear of facing facts and reality.

The intention is simply to reflect day to day,  hour to hour even, changes in what's going to be happening on the travel front from 1 January. It's a very fluid situation and makes planning anything very difficult, given the increasingly likely no deal scenario which we were all assured wouldn't happen.

Nothing about the ultimate reality of brexit is yet fact or reality Harry, and whilst I accept that there are many forecasts predicting the outcome  until we have sufficient data to analyse, then it is all speculation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I think reality will apply and EU countries will be desperate for the millions of British holidaymakers and their £s which props up their tourist industries.

Reports on LBC this evening that Spain and Greece,Cyprus,Malta are considering setting there own rules to encourage Brits. Stay sure and others are allowing cover even when FCO do not recommend travel. Project fear may be just that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Glad Bailey said:

I believe Boris statement on oven ready applied to the Withdrawal Agreement,not

a Trade Deal

You are right, but selective memories prevail. He who shouts loudest doesn't always get it .

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Nothing about the ultimate reality of brexit is yet fact or reality Harry, and whilst I accept that there are many forecasts predicting the outcome  until we have sufficient data to analyse, then it is all speculation.

Everything is fluid at the moment, but some dismiss our countries business managers abilities. Shame on them.

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What is very clear, is that if you have a holiday home in Europe,  you won't be able to stay in it for more than three months at a time. 

That will be decided by individual Country's, but we don't know what will happen yet

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That will be decided by individual Country's, but we don't know what will happen yet

No, that has already been confirmed. No ifs or buts. Here is the link to the official UK web page that spells out the restriction.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

Interesting to note that you also will not be able to take meat or milk or products containing them into the EU . No more taking a packet of bacon with you for a "full English"  in your self catering accommodation. 

Edited by wowzz

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, that has already been confirmed. No ifs or buts. Here is the link to the official UK web page that spells out the restriction.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

Interesting to note that you also will not be able to take meat or milk or products containing them into the EU . No more taking a packet of bacon with you for a "full English"  in your self catering accommodation. 

Yes things change. It doesn't say you can't go. It says you might, things may, you could maybe, as I don't often take milk and meat products to EU I won't get too excited. When we do self catering in France, surprise, surprise. Shops sell meat and milk. Green card,international driving permit, visa. Big deal. I have Canadian and USA Visa's ,easy to get unless you have been naughty. Project fear only works on people who get frightened. Brits don't normally quake in their boots at the thought of having to buy that foreign bacon. We don't know and saying the same old stuff on cruise critic will change nothing. I doubt this political thread will last long anyway, so I have finished with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Speculation - which is what pretty much every thread on this forum involves. But with the developing Brexit catastrophe, or situation if you prefer that word, it's particularly important, because it affects every aspect of our lives.

I wish we didn't have to speculate.  Remember the words oven and ready?

Your short term memory is failing you Harry, we did oven ready only yesterday.

The one bright spark is the desire from the EU for a disruption free transition in January, I think there is a better prospect of agreement to this, since it would only be temporary, rather than the full trade deal. That might kick the can down the road for a further 3 months, and who knows what might happen in the interim.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Yes things change. It doesn't say you can't go. It says you might, things may, you could maybe, as I don't often take milk and meat products to EU I won't get too excited. When we do self catering in France, surprise, surprise. Shops sell meat and milk. Green card,international driving permit, visa. Big deal. I have Canadian and USA Visa's ,easy to get unless you have been naughty. Project fear only works on people who get frightened. Brits don't normally quake in their boots at the thought of having to buy that foreign bacon. We don't know and saying the same old stuff on cruise critic will change nothing. I doubt this political thread will last long anyway, so I have finished with it.

I too don't bother about taking bacon etc when on holiday, but I was surprised to read about the new restrictions.

However, I do believe you are not taking the 3 month rule seriously enough - this is a major change and has a significant impact on many Brits.

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I too don't bother about taking bacon etc when on holiday, but I was surprised to read about the new restrictions.

However, I do believe you are not taking the 3 month rule seriously enough - this is a major change and has a significant impact on many Brits.

The way I read it is that it's 90 days in every 180.Not consecutive days but total.Alternatives are residency or visa.Next year unless we are stuck again for 9 months the 90 in 180 is doable for us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The way I read it is that it's 90 days in every 180.Not consecutive days but total.Alternatives are residency or visa.Next year unless we are stuck again for 9 months the 90 in 180 is doable for us

Yes, 90 days (not consecutive) in a rolling 180 day period.  

I guess that those who might have gone to their holiday homes from, say, the beginning of May to mid October,  will have to return to the UK for a couple of months mid summer. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am not sure there will be that many, most long term residents have opted for residency, and only retirees can afford the time off to have more than 3 month vacations.  I have not read the full details but if you are allowed 3 months in any 6 month period, how do they calculate this? if its Jan-June and Jul-Dec, then you could theoretically stay from April 1st through to September 30th.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am not sure there will be that many, most long term residents have opted for residency, and only retirees can afford the time off to have more than 3 month vacations.  I have not read the full details but if you are allowed 3 months in any 6 month period, how do they calculate this? if its Jan-June and Jul-Dec, then you could theoretically stay from April 1st through to September 30th.

No, it's the cumulative number of days in a rolling 6 month period. As you say, it could be relative difficult to check at the borders, but I can see the local police trawling round known expat communities checking up on people.

I think you would be surprised how many youngish  expats there are living in somewhere like Spain, making a living,  but operating outside the system. Then there are a significant number of retirees living in large expat communities like Torrevieja,  who have just not bothered to register with the authorities. On top of these, you have the holiday home owners who would normally spend 4 or 5 months on the trot abroad.

We did the "right" thing when living in Spain, by becoming fiscal residents, but we never took the arduous process of taking out Spanish citizenship, as we always knew that one day we would return to the UK. If we were still living in Spain today, I'm not sure what our legal position would be. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, it's the cumulative number of days in a rolling 6 month period. As you say, it could be relative difficult to check at the borders, but I can see the local police trawling round known expat communities checking up on people.

I think you would be surprised how many youngish  expats there are living in somewhere like Spain, making a living,  but operating outside the system. Then there are a significant number of retirees living in large expat communities like Torrevieja,  who have just not bothered to register with the authorities. On top of these, you have the holiday home owners who would normally spend 4 or 5 months on the trot abroad.

We did the "right" thing when living in Spain, by becoming fiscal residents, but we never took the arduous process of taking out Spanish citizenship, as we always knew that one day we would return to the UK. If we were still living in Spain today, I'm not sure what our legal position would be. 

I still think it will only affect a small number, most expats living their have known that brexit was coming, so they will have taken out residency.