Meals (or Not) on Long International Flights

Roz

49 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We fly for leisure, but the difference between trying to sleep sitting up in economy with your neck kinked, vs lying flat tucked under a duvet is incomparable.  

For me it doesn't make much difference for the possibility to sleep. Of course it's more comfortable not to sleep in business or first compared to economy but still not worth the extra money just for that, for me. 

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

For me it doesn't make much difference for the possibility to sleep. Of course it's more comfortable not to sleep in business or first compared to economy but still not worth the extra money just for that, for me. 

Same! For work, I am not traveling in anything below Business class. When it's out of my pocket and I can't use miles or get an upgrade, you better believe I'm in the back. Yes, I am young and in shape and recover quickly, so it's easier to say this but...those 20-30 hours are not worth $3k or more per person when that money can make so many more memories on the ground (or on the water, or underground, whatever your vacation preference may be). 

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

Same! For work, I am not traveling in anything below Business class. When it's out of my pocket and I can't use miles or get an upgrade, you better believe I'm in the back. Yes, I am young and in shape and recover quickly, so it's easier to say this but...those 20-30 hours are not worth $3k or more per person when that money can make so many more memories on the ground (or on the water, or underground, whatever your vacation preference may be). 

I don't think it's the same! I'm prepared to pay for business class but not to be able to sleep better! I should probably not pay $3k per person for it but $2k when flying to the US is okay for me to pay.

We are casually watching/window shopping  three flights international flights from Canada for tentative trip at the moment..   Athens, Thailand (BKK), and Morocco (CMN).   The first two are favorites, the third is a new one for us.

Shopping is the same.  We start by looking the the fewest numbers of stops. Can we use points and if so does it make sense to do so (not always).     Then by the shortest durations.  Then price. Then departure times, arrival times, and what airports we have to travel through.  After that airlines...do we get points on any of them, which ones do we prefer?

It has never come down to food service for us yet.

Edited by iancal

On 1/6/2021 at 11:56 AM, bennybear said:

We fly for leisure, but the difference between trying to sleep sitting up in economy with your neck kinked, vs lying flat tucked under a duvet is incomparable.  

Same!  My flying is all leisure, and I just cannot do those long flights sitting up in economy anymore.  Never say never, but I'm just miserable if/when I do it.  I don't sleep as well in business as I do at home, but for me, being able to stretch out in a lie flat with a duvet is worth the cost to me.  I realize not everyone feels the same or has the budget to make the same choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We fly out of Detroit, where DELTA is the big dog.   It mystifies me that business class rt from DTW to Capetown on Delta and KLM is a LOT of money.   But, I can fly to Toronto for about $150 and then fly Toronto rt to Capetown on Delta and KLM for less than half the cost.  Same thing for flights from Boston, JFK, or DULLES. 

I have found some occasions where I can fly from DTW to Boston.   And then DELTA will fly me back to Detroit to connect with my flights to Capetown for a lot less than if I just flew from Detroit.  The whole thing is maddening.

The only IFFY thing is that it would be separate tickets, so if something goes wrong with the first flight then I am in big difficulties.  And who knows when we can go to Canada again.

11 minutes ago, teacherman said:

We fly out of Detroit, where DELTA is the big dog.   It mystifies me that business class rt from DTW to Capetown on Delta and KLM is a LOT of money.   But, I can fly to Toronto for about $150 and then fly Toronto rt to Capetown on Delta and KLM for less than half the cost.  Same thing for flights from Boston, JFK, or DULLES. 

I have found some occasions where I can fly from DTW to Boston.   And then DELTA will fly me back to Detroit to connect with my flights to Capetown for a lot less than if I just flew from Detroit.  The whole thing is maddening.

The only IFFY thing is that it would be separate tickets, so if something goes wrong with the first flight then I am in big difficulties.  And who knows when we can go to Canada again.

Looking for the best Bus Class fares is, indeed, very maddening.  Because of where we live we always price out fares from MDT, BWI, IAD, PHL, EWR, and sometimes even JFK to seek out the best deals.  There never seems to be any logic behind the fares (it can sometimes be a lot cheaper to leave from a secondary airport and connect at a major hub then if you book directly from that hub) and other times it really pays to use the major hubs as the Gateway airport (we sometimes find it pays to rent a car and drive 2-3 hours to another airport).

We also did well with some flights out of Toronto (there used to be a commuter flight from our home airport to Toronto), especially on Air Canada.  Our experience with Air Canada's flights on the 777 have been very good and they have a fabulous Business Class lounge at Toronto.

Hank

• Like 1