Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Yes because we can probably still carry it even if it doesn't make us unwell.

Not sure if that has yet to be shown to be the case. Probably too early to for the research to be available at present.

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

For the first time in 18 years we have no cruises booked for this year and reluctantly I say there will be no cruising this year imo.

I hope I am wrong and will book a last minute cruise if they are allowed.

Graham.

We are the same Graham, we have usually got at least 2 or 3 booked.  We have no intention of booking any cruises until Europe gets things under control. We may go to Devon later in the year if things are looking good here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I have to agree with the majority that cruises are unlikely this year. There may be short UK destination only cruises which wouldn't appeal to me, I want sun. So my Ventura August Med cruise is very doubtful, I will take a refund of my low deposit. That leaves my Iona cruise to the Canaries in February 22, what is the consensus on that one ?

As I’m on that cruise I damn well hope it’s going to happen 😳

Edited by devonuk
Error
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I see that the Kranke woman has more or less put the block on foreign holidays for the Scots this year.

That will be interesting to try and enforce, if cruises finally start again from Southampton.  

Can I ask what was actually said?  Was there a clear no go message, or some allusion to such? 

Tbh I tend to like her normally straight forward messages, rather be to Han be the cryptic ones from Boris.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

We are the same Graham, we have usually got at least 2 or 3 booked.  We have no intention of booking any cruises until Europe gets things under control. We may go to Devon later in the year if things are looking good here.

I just edited booked because I forgot we were due to go to the Canaries on Iona for 14 nights in February 21 which was cancelled by P&O in 2020.

We are the same as you with 2-3 cruises booked every year.

I have family in Weymouth and Pauline said last night when Plymouth was on TV Can we tour Devon and Cornwall,Wales and Scotland.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But given that those from the UK will  be protected, why cannot they travel, regardless of the  vaccination situation in Europe.

No guarantee we could not get a mild case of a risky variant somewhere else and bring it back here though.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I just edited booked because I forgot we were due to go to the Canaries on Iona for 14 nights in February 21 which was cancelled by P&O in 2020.

We are the same as you with 2-3 cruises booked every year.

I have family in Weymouth and Pauline said last night when Plymouth was on TV Can we tour Devon and Cornwall,Wales and Scotland.

I shall await your cheery face when I'm in the Harbour Office this summer Graham.  Right in the middle of Salcombe.  Make sure you come and say hello.  I do Friday to Monday .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tring said:

Can I ask what was actually said?  Was there a clear no go message, or some allusion to such? 

Tbh I tend to like her normally straight forward messages, rather be to Han be the cryptic ones from Boris.

Nicola Sturgeon has warned Scots not to book Easter holidays as it is "highly unlikely" that hotels or self catering accommodation will be open.

The first minister advised against booking a break either overseas or in Scotland at the start of April.

She also said it was unlikely that overseas holidays would be possible in the summer.

However, she said "staycations" might be possible - although it would depend on the Covid data nearer the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56088301

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tring said:

Can't resist answering even though politics isn't a subject I want get into on here.

Sturgeon loves to answer everything before BJ and annoys me intently, so I tend to mute the TV when she appears.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It feels, to me, that we should sacrifice foreign travel until next summer.  We can’t keep repeating cycles of mind-numbing lockdown, a few weeks of anything goes and then inexorable re-infection leading to more lockdown

Even the PM seems to be thinking this, saying there can’t be another lockdown.  If there can’t be another lockdown then this, awful, winter lockdown has to be made to work.  We can’t clear this island and then head off round the world, bringing back re-infection 

I know this won’t be a universally popular view.  I don’t like the prospect any more than anyone else does 

Absolutely agree (sorry Joe, I know you have special circumstances, and I think we all feel for you and your beloved).  And even if I didn't agree, there is little chance of mainland Europe being vaccinated in time for even the later part of the holiday season, so that takes out most non-flying holidays. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But given that those from the UK will  be protected, why cannot they travel, regardless of the  vaccination situation in Europe.

That decision isn't necessarily ours to make. It's going to be a busy old summer here (and in Devon, Cornwall and every other UK holiday destination). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I love that quote Tring! One or two posters have called me pessimistic as well but, unfortunately, my predictions over the last year in regards to cruising have proved correct. I fully admit that my pessimism with regards to the speed that the vaccines could be rolled out was wrong, and I am absolutely delighted about that. If I may add a quote of my own, I am always happy being proved wrong, as it is such a rare occurrence I enjoy the novelty of it 😂 

On a serious note, I think you might be right about the reasons for the delay although frankly I just don’t see cruises being mentioned next week. I think people have to guard against interpreting any announcements as to when overseas holidays might re-start as applying to cruises. I feel that cruises may be treated as a very separate entity and may not resume until some months after other types of overseas holidays. For the same reasons that cruises were the first type of holiday to be stopped at the outset of the pandemic I fear that they will be the last to recommence as it starts to come to an end. I could envisage a situation where those who have been vaccinated might be allowed to do round Britain cruises or cruises to nowhere by the summer, but I fear that overseas cruises are likely to be off until late summer at the very earliest. And that, I think, is optimistic. 

Last year, I had a cruise booked on Boudicca for the end of March 2020. Like everyone else I was watching the unfolding situation, and up until the 6th of March I was thinking ‘if the cruise goes, I suppose we’ll have to go’, even though I was less than enthusiastic. But on 6th March I switched to ‘I’m not going on that cruise even if I lose all the money I paid.

I particularly remember the date, as I was booked on Iona for 6th March this year, and even then, I thought that the Iona cruise wouldn’t sail. I wasn’t posting on CC at the time, but if I had posted that particular comment, the ‘glass half full’ brigade would have completely wigged out at the negativity - even though, as it turned out, I was completely correct. At some point, reality catches up with ‘optimism’.

I had hoped that P&O might be able to do a few short trial cruises this summer - in my mind that is looking less likely now.  

Unfortunately I can’t see how the cruise industry can get going again in the pandemic. 

Very few of the cruises on P&O’s current schedule are viable in this new world - even if they can get going again many of the currently scheduled cruises would need to be rearranged for shorter cruises, (like Iona) . Then all the refunds would need to be done for the people booked on the rescheduled cruises.

P&O obviously realise this, but, to protect funds, all they can do is cancel in bite sized chunks. 

it really is a nightmare, and I feel so sorry for all involved.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, tring said:

She already announced the clear no travel abroad message a month ago, I posted it on here at the time. She also told people not to book a staycation unless they could get the money back on a deposit if things don’t open.

The clarification is that even staycations are most likely off for Easter.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Can't resist answering even though politics isn't a subject I want get into on here.

Sturgeon loves to answer everything before BJ and annoys me intently, so I tend to mute the TV when she appears.

I think our thoughts are possibly the same then to an extent.  I agree it is quite frustrating that the UK as a whole cannot act in a unified manner which is basically the problem.  I do think there is a certain amount of the non English nations wanting to assert their right to have different views, though it did seem that Boris did not want to involve the others to reach a unified position at the onset of all this.  So a bit of each at fault as I see it and would therefore say this is a not a "problematic" comment.

I see my "message" was pretty cryptic though now I have read it and it is too late to edit.   Ooops.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I posted earlier that I think P&O will wait until Boris announces his road map next week which answered your query.

NCL have come out in the last couple of hours to say their cruises are paused through May21 which I posted for anyone who is interested because I think P&O will follow suit but as yet their website still says April21.

Sneak preview of Johnson's roadmap. 😬

image.png.3e86f4e45ddf526dc523395cf69a2613.png

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

39 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

That leaves my Iona cruise to the Canaries in February 22, what is the consensus on that one ?

I reckon you should be fine for that cruise. A lot can happen in a year, as we have discovered during the last one! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

She already announced the clear no travel abroad message a month ago, I posted it on here at the time. She also told people not to book a staycation unless they could get the money back on a deposit if things don’t open.

The clarification is that even staycations are most likely off for Easter.

Thanks.  I did not see that post from you then.  I think it is more or less what we all think now, though I do find the lack of unity across the UK quite frustrating and an added potential problem if we were thinking of travelling to the other nations.  For that reason we have stuck to England though, as we do not travel in school hols and early summer is a bit iffy.  So travelling south to what may be warmer weather is probably the best option (we have booked 2 weeks in Sept).

What we would really miss is if we cannot go somewhere warmer at some stage next winter.  We seldom stray that far in summer anyway, though we are disappointed our plans to see relatives in Canada is not to be this year.

Edited by tring

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I shall await your cheery face when I'm in the Harbour Office this summer Graham.  Right in the middle of Salcombe.  Make sure you come and say hello.  I do Friday to Monday .

Thanks Jean.

If we come down to Devon we will certainly pop in and say hello.

Graham.

30 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

She is simply doing her job and if she happens to do it more quickly than the PM then why should that annoy you?

How exactly do you know what she “loves”, do you know the lady personally perhaps?

• Like 5