Will HAL sell Volendam & Zaandam?

Mickb

Carnival today reported that they intend to sell 4 more ships bringing their total disposals to 19.

I suppose that some the older AIDa ships may be in the frame but Volendam and Zaandam must be vulnerable - they are more or less the same age and capacity as the Rotterdam and Amsterdam . It would be a shame.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mickb said:

Carnival today reported that they intend to sell 4 more ships bringing their total disposals to 19.

I suppose that some the older AIDa ships may be in the frame but Volendam and Zaandam must be vulnerable - they are more or less the same age and capacity as the Rotterdam and Amsterdam . It would be a shame.

Well Volendam and Zaandam are parked up handy if Fred Olsen were to make an offer.

They seem to still have a purpose in the fleet handling itineraries that the larger ships are not suited for.

So if they were sold I think it would have to be for a much higher price than the near scrap value, no payments for two years type deal that Rotterdam went for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickb said:

I would say there is a good chance that this might happen..

Yes 4 ships are leaving CCL lets not forget    ( 9 brands )

Cruise line Parent company Passengers
(thousands)[7]
Revenue
(US$ millions)[7]
Passengers % Revenue %
Carnival Corporation & plc 12,302.30 18,305.16 47.4% 39.4%
Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Corporation & plc 5,716.5 4,166.89 22% 8.9%
Princess Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,667.5 4,228.85 6.4% 9.1%
Costa Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,560.6 2,235.62 6% 4.8%
AIDA Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,183.7 2,128.28 4.6% 4.6%
Holland America Line Carnival Corporation & plc 831.5 2,589.60 3.2% 5.6%
P&O Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 623.4 1,031.85 2.4% 2.2%
P&O Cruises Australia Carnival Corporation & plc 499.6 548.02 1.9% 1.2%
Cunard Line Carnival Corporation & plc 169.6 823.79 0.7% 1.8%
Seabourn Cruise Line  
Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roz said:

So back to my question - if Zaandam and Volendam are gone, which ships will do the longer itineraries, or will HAL just quit doing them?

If this closure keeps dragging on, I am afraid Hal might not survive..

I believe that it will come down to the past profitability of each ship, any projected capital expenditures required over the next few years on each of the ships under consideration, and the marketing direction of the cruise line. 

Who really knows...except the bean counters and senior corporate execs who probably have a prioritized short list on their respective desks.

18 of the 19 were previously announced in CCL's Q3 reporting,. So we are talking a single hull, not four.     Scott. 

(source: https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-summary-third-quarter-results _ )

image.thumb.png.e3a5b759cc67f14f4f4f0063ae3926db.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Roz said:

So back to my question - if Zaandam and Volendam are gone, which ships will do the longer itineraries, or will HAL just quit doing them?

The Grand World Voyages will be a cruise offering of the past for some time if these two ships leave the fleet.  That's my expectations.  In the past, some of the Grand World Voyages were "easy" for them to fill.  Others, not so much.  In the "new day of cruising that we all hope is approaching", filling a larger ship may be quite challenging.  The first voyages?  Maybe not so difficult.  There seems to be a significant pent-up demand.  But, afterwards?  

48 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

The history of Holland America Line is quite interesting. They have survived and even thrived, in much worse circumstances than these.  It is quite the story.

Indeed, it is.  And, that is a reason why I think HAL will survive.  Somehow, the adversity that the Company faced was overcome.  

However, I cannot help think for HAL to survive, its Corporate parent may need to shed some brands for the Corporation to survive.  Wasn't HAL Mr. Arison's initial acquisition to CCL?  The acquisition of HAL fulfilled Mr. Arison's Tiffany Project plans at that time.  Now, easily discarded?  I wonder.  I hope not.  

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

18 of the 19 were previously announced in CCL's Q3 reporting,. So we are talking a single hull, not four.     Scott. 

(source: https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-summary-third-quarter-results _ )

image.thumb.png.e3a5b759cc67f14f4f4f0063ae3926db.png

It’s still four un-named ships. Fifteen are gone, four remain.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Zaandam is schedule to do the 2022 WC, so I wonder what ship HAL would use if they sold it?

Zaandam is also scheduled for the Grand Africa Voyage sailing RT from Fort Lauderdale on October 10, 2022.  I just received emails on Friday confirming all the previous arrangements, and I am finding it quite a challenge to believe this will be the third consecutive GAV I will have had cancelled!

6 hours ago, Mickb said:

If 

Price Is Right Logo Vector | Price is right games, Summer camp games,  Camping with teens

yes, If not, I see them in the fleet for another couple of years

13 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Yes 4 ships are leaving CCL lets not forget    ( 9 brands )

Cruise line Parent company Passengers
(thousands)[7]
Revenue
(US$ millions)[7]
Passengers % Revenue %
Carnival Corporation & plc 12,302.30 18,305.16 47.4% 39.4%
Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Corporation & plc 5,716.5 4,166.89 22% 8.9%
Princess Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,667.5 4,228.85 6.4% 9.1%
Costa Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,560.6 2,235.62 6% 4.8%
AIDA Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 1,183.7 2,128.28 4.6% 4.6%
Holland America Line Carnival Corporation & plc 831.5 2,589.60 3.2% 5.6%
P&O Cruises Carnival Corporation & plc 623.4 1,031.85 2.4% 2.2%
P&O Cruises Australia Carnival Corporation & plc 499.6 548.02 1.9% 1.2%
Cunard Line Carnival Corporation & plc 169.6 823.79 0.7% 1.8%
Seabourn Cruise Line  

Gail & Marty....fascinating chart, where did you get this from?  Can you fill in the blank for us with Seabourn?   Of course revenues are one thing, profits are another.

Ship Built Builder Entered
service
for
Seabourn
Gross Tonnage Flag Notes Image
Seabourn Odyssey 2009 T. Mariotti 2009–Present 32,346 tons 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas   Seabourn Odyssey (ship, 2009) IMO 9417086 in Split, 2011-11-16 (2).jpg
Seabourn Sojourn 2010 T. Mariotti 2010–Present 32,346 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas   Seabourn Sojourn (4).jpg
Seabourn Quest 2011 T. Mariotti 2011–Present 32,348 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas   Seabourn Quest 02.JPG
Seabourn Encore[9] 2016 Fincantieri December 2016 41,865 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Largest ship to be built for Seabourn. Seabourn Encore (ship, 2016), Sète cf01.jpg
Seabourn Ovation[9] 2018 Fincantieri May 2018 41,865 GT

14 hours ago, Roz said:

They could easily do them with one of the Vistas as the P&O Arcadia, Cunard QV &QE and Costa Deleziosa and Luminosa are all derivatives of the Vista Class and they have done world cruises / long cruises for years very successfully. HAL would probably have to drop its prices slightly to fill them but on the flip side they would be cheaper to operate.
If anything dropping the prices on their grand voyages wouldn’t be a bad thing for attracting more Brits/ Europeans on them (I know we’re not the target market) as on average the starting price for a world cruise for us on P&O, Cunard, Fred Olsen etc... is £10,000 (r/t UK) however on HAL its usually £19,000 (plus flights) a couple we cruise regularly with is fortunate enough to do a world cruise every year and a couple of years ago they did HAL as they are one of their favourite lines but said they wouldn’t do another with them as it simply wasn’t worth nearly double the cost plus flights and luggage over Cunard or P&O etc... the only thing they preferred was the smaller ship but they could have that on Fred Olsen or P&O Aurora for a-lot less... quite a few Dutch and Germans have said very similar to me also regarding the value.

• Like 3

Here is a list of possible Carnival Corp ships to be sold/disposed, based on In service date (there are a few ships that are around the same vintage but have been extensively refurbished and imho are unlikely to be sold). I was a bit surprised that Costa now has a pretty modern fleet, but not sure if one of their ships scheduled to be transferred to a new Chinese joint venture line is counted in the four.

Carnival Ecstasy    1991

Carnival Sensation    1993

Aida AIDAcara    1996

P&O Australia Pacific Explorer    1997

Carnival Elation    1998

Carnival Paradise    1998

Grand Princess    1998

Pacific Princess    1999

HAL MS Volendendam    1999

HAL MS Zaandam    2000

P&O Aurora    2000

Costa Mediterranea    2003 (Not as old as others, but scheduled to be transferred to China joint venture in 2021)

While old, I don't think the Pacific Explorer will be one of the ones sold, as P&O Australia already has sold off 3 ships recently. If I had to bet, considering the new builds coming into the fleet, I'd say a couple of the Carnival ships, the Grand Princess, and who knows for the fourth. 

Edited by vicd1969
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KirkNC said:

It’s still four un-named ships. Fifteen are gone, four remain.

Is this not 17 named ships ?    

1. Rotterdam (Borealis)
  2. Amsterdam (Bolette)
  3. Maasdam (Aegean Myth)
  4. Veendam (Aegean Majesty)
  5. Pacific Aria  (Aegean Goddess)
  6. Pacific Dawn (Satoshi)
  7. Oceana (Queen of the Oceans)
  8. Costa Victoria (scrap)
  9. Costa neoRomantica (Celestyal Experience)
  10. Costa Atlantica (tsf to CSSC)
  11. Costa Mediterranea (tsf to CSSC)
  12. Carnival Fascination (Century Harmony)
  13. Carnival Imagination (scrap)
  14. Carnival Fantasy (scrap)
  15. Carnival Inspiration (scrap)
  16. Sun Princess (Pacific World)
  17. Sea Princess (Charming)
  18.  A yet-unnamed Costa ship (source: CCL's Q3-2019 results call -  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21632-five-ships-to-leave-costa-fleet-by-may-2021.html)

and, if I were a betting person?  19. Perhaps AIDAcara? (1996 construction, 1200 berths)   

Scott.