The Daily for Sunday Jan 17, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

We have 2 unexpected changes to the fleet today, although I don't think either ship has changed their AIS destinations.  MS Noordam is docked in Long Beach, and MS Volendam is docked in Portland.

Roy

Tiny correction, Roy - Noordam is in San Pedro and Carnival Panorama is in Long Beach

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I’m a bit late today, but good afternoon everyone.

im so excited you would think something fabulous was happening. Well, my New York daughter and grandson are coming for an outdoor, masks on, socially distant visit. Haven’t seen them since June when grandson graduated from high school. His brother, who I miss terribly went to his girl friend’s in Connecticut for the weekend. We have a big outdoor heater for the  patio so hopefully we will be warm. Oh, I forgot, Molly, their dog is coming too.

But it is fabulous! We all know how tough it is not to interact with family & friends. Enjoy yourself. This might even call for a “Happy Dance”!

• Like 8

January 17, 2013

Punta Arenas, Chile

Sail in was rather unremarkable this rather cold, early morning. Members of our roll call had booked a tour to Otoway Sound to see the penguins. It also included a tour through town, the local cemetery which was billed to rival Rocoleta and lunch at a local restaurant. There were enough people to fill 2 vans, and our van, the first one, was about 20 minutes late and the second ended up coming a half hour after that. (In 2018 I ended up booking a different shorex with the same company, and after months of very poor communication, (and several unanswered calls, texts and emails that morning) they stood us up at the pier.😡

DSC_0686.thumb.JPG.bc617e0e914e161ca238aa875a94256b.JPG

Otoway Sound at the time was home to one of the largest Magellanic Penguin populations. I use the past tense here because a few years after our visit, the penguins reportedly quit returning. (I don’t know if that is still the case. There are a number of tour vendors with current sites that sell tickets to visit it.) The drive out to the location took us past many sheep ranches and finally onto an improved dirt road for the final approach.

DSC_0689.thumb.JPG.87e724ce66a3068a6df52d39a3de4a48.JPG

DSC_0604.thumb.JPG.eab939c338149d5b62787a6e15121275.JPGDSC_0610.thumb.JPG.7412fa500a19f638bf5be319c9b46205.JPG

Magellanic Penguins would arrive at Otway in mid-September from the Falklands and Brazil and immediately begin to court and build their burrows. By the first part of October they would lay their eggs, which would hatch mid-November to mid-December. When we visited, the young ones were molting. By the end of March/April they would have left for their winter grounds. Both parents care for the chicks. Our guide told us while they mate for life, once one partner dies, the remaining partner will take a new mate each summer. The park maintained a 1500 meter wooden deck path that allowed visitors to get near the penguins. It was really fun to watch the penguins waddling around their nesting grounds and in the surf/on the beach. 

DSC_0621.thumb.JPG.9d8542710f5d1197faf933ad389861c0.JPGDSC_0639.thumb.JPG.782908b9f775d9b7099cae76b7d6bf77.JPGDSC_0655.thumb.JPG.3aefc000d0dc7a98ce4a3642d1d2d3d2.JPGDSC_0634.thumb.JPG.7c1fb99978b14267a7cfbeb345d01d8d.JPGDSC_0636.thumb.JPG.7f7ff860d68d63d4dd26dc803fac09d1.JPGDSC_0675.thumb.JPG.497d9c6eaece824715293083ad26f434.JPG

We had lunch at a restaurant that specialized in seafood, Sotitos, in downtown. Got a chance to spend a few moments with the city dogs that were stationed outside. One had gotten quite friendly with me and then stuck his head in my pack and stole a hat. Then we loaded up in the van again and went to the town overlook where we could see most of the town and the Strait of Magellan, and on to the local cemetery. Our final stop was the Plaza de Armas where we had a few minutes to shop at the crafts stands before heading back to the ship.

DSC_0734.thumb.JPG.ffcca6663a4c1f5582520b7dc0785cf2.JPGDSC_0735.thumb.JPG.240ac34dc9bc92876ac11dcb13c09ba1.JPGDSC_0736.thumb.JPG.7a5fcb37cab1cbc2134a7a71b6c77140.JPGDSC_0745.thumb.JPG.a1141eed4adf6cdc8f38277aae6aa642.JPGDSC_0759.thumb.JPG.627c38419031c79fa61a39e4f27ddc26.JPG

(When we get into March I will post about our cruise and a great lunch we had in this the Braun Building at Shackleton's Bar.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 17

36 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Pretty unusual for a dam ship to be in Pedro.  I would love it if they sailed out of Pedro or LA.

Completely depends on whether or not a Carnival ship is in Long Beach, a Carnival-financed cruise terminal and a single berth. They will get first dibs there 

• Like 4

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

Our cat has certainly taught us to understand rejection.

Big headline in our newspaper this morning "Make America Float Again", after "America Magic" capsized during a race  against Prada Luna Rossa, on Auckland Harbour..The crew worked to stop the boat sinking,  Rapid assistance was given from the  three other America's Cup teams, also America's Cup Event Ltd, the Race management team, Coastguard , Harbourmaster and local fire and police personnal. 

None of the crew were injured.  The vessel was able to be raised high enough in the water to be taken under tow the 18 km ,back to it's home base. Race officials said that the Vessel was towed backwards because of a hole in the bow.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam is in L.A. (San Pedro) today, Rich. I'll see if I can grab some pics of her

Noordam is looking pretty good today at Berth #93 in San Pedro (port of L.A.)  after all those months, pretty much at sea. Here's hoping she, and the other nine blue hulled beauties, get pax in the near too distant future 

Image may contain: sky, flower, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, tree, plant and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Los Angeles & Long Beach Cruise Ship Berths.jpg

Los Angeles & Long Beach Ports.jpg

Los Angeles Cruise Center B91, B92 & B93.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam is looking pretty good today at Berth #93 in San Pedro (port of L.A.)  after all those months, pretty much at sea. Here's hoping she, and the other nine blue hulled beauties, get pax in the near to distant future 

Good to see these photos.Thanks for sharing.

• Like 5

Thanks for the welcome Roy.  I have been a lurker here for a while.  I feel right at home here as I sort of know a lot of people.  I have read most of your voyage blogs and greatly enjoy them .  I know copper10-8 and his lovely wife from his law enforcement career before he ran away to sea. And DBguy was, in a pre-COVID time, my morning coffee shop buddy where we discussed cruising and solved world problems over coffee and bagel .   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam is looking pretty good today at Berth #93 in San Pedro (port of L.A.)  after all those months, pretty much at sea. Here's hoping she, and the other nine blue hulled beauties, get pax in the near too distant future 

Great memories of that berth.

Roy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Thanks for the welcome Roy.  I have been a lurker here for a while.  I feel right at home here as I sort of know a lot of people.  I have read most of your voyage blogs and greatly enjoy them .  I know copper10-8 and his lovely wife from his law enforcement career before he ran away to sea. And DBguy was, in a pre-COVID time, my morning coffee shop buddy where we discussed cruising and solved world problems over coffee and bagel .   

Well Hello there!

• Like 4