What's it like to cruise now video

chmusar

I am going to wait for a while until all restrictions are relaxed .

I like the part about servers in the buffet though . I hope that stays. 

I never touch any of my food with my hands at the buffet , i use a knife and fork for everything ... even muffins , lol .

I would even consider paying more for the extra cleaning that occurs during the pandemic if they did that on every cruise moving forward.

Saw this video on my YouTube recommendations this morning as well.  We'll see what happens when we get to cruising in the US. I like the servers in the Windjammer and the new muster... I hope those are kept forever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Saw this video on my YouTube recommendations this morning as well.  We'll see what happens when we get to cruising in the US. I like the servers in the Windjammer and the new muster... I hope those are kept forever.

I agree about the Windjammer as i prefer it that way and I think the Muster on the App first is a great way of doing it .

But in reality how can it work with social distancing in restaurants , bars shows etc. even with  half the capacity on board because in the video it looked like there was hardly anyone on board.

Wow, I would LOVE to be on a cruise right now or even know for sure that I could cruise in a few months. Miserable and depressing to me is my life now!!! I wear a mask when I buy groceries or anytime I have to venture out of my house, so what's the difference? I have had my first shot, so in another month or so, I should be protected but that's not even enough. Now I read that I will still have to wear a mask (which is okay with me!), because even thou I will be 94% protected they're not sure if I can give it to someone else. REALLY!!! I don 't understand this at all. I only have a  number of years left to live and I would like to LIVE!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

I wear a mask when I buy groceries or anytime I have to venture out of my house, so what's the difference? 

There is a big difference. I wear a mask 10-12 hours a day at work. The only time I don't wear it is when I'm eating lunch in my car for a half hour. I have no issue on my day off if I have to run to the store for an hour or two or if my wife and I go out to a restaurant where we only have to have the mask in place when walking through the restaurant. Unless you plan on staying in your room the mask will have to be worn anytime in a public area. That's not for me especially when sitting on the sun deck. If you wear eyeglasses you are in for a special treat as your glasses fog up.  At least on a land vacation you don't have to mask up outdoors by the pool or beach.  Try wearing you mask all day nonstop before you board a cruise ship

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

I think this video was edited nicely to show the conditions but not necessarily the “crowds”.  

We sailed back in December and it was quite fun. Yes having a mask near the pool is a pain but put a drink in your hand and the mask comes off.

The oddest part to me was the shows. Having a theater (Singapore rules) at around 30% is weird.  Now at the end of the month on land on Singapore capacity at some venues (movie theaters, event spaces) was moved from 50% to 65% so I’m the future we may see something similar on the ship.

With Quantum staying in the AP region. I hope they swap this crew to another one of the ships on anchorage and run it here for a few more months. I think RC is waiting for Japan (I believe early Feb) to make a decision on cruising as both Spectrum (in March) and Quantum (in April) have ports of call there. 

If Japan stays closed I don’t see any other cruises to nowhere happen anytime soon in AP. Also almost all countries in the region are closed to visitors. 

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There is a big difference. I wear a mask 10-12 hours a day at work. The only time I don't wear it is when I'm eating lunch in my car for a half hour. I have no issue on my day off if I have to run to the store for an hour or two or if my wife and I go out to a restaurant where we only have to have the mask in place when walking through the restaurant. Unless you plan on staying in your room the mask will have to be worn anytime in a public area. That's not for me especially when sitting on the sun deck. If you wear eyeglasses you are in for a special treat as your glasses fog up.  At least on a land vacation you don't have to mask up outdoors by the pool or beach.  Try wearing you mask all day nonstop before you board a cruise ship

I see your points. All of them. Thanks for explaining.  I can't imagine wearing a mask all day, every day. For me, cruising with a mask vs. not cruising at all would be worth it. I could be happy just sitting on a balcony looking at the ocean and masking up at other times. 

No thanks for a while at least.  Unless they keep the occupancy way down this doesn’t look like fun at all.  You’ll be waiting in lines for everything (which defeats the purpose) and takes all the enjoyment out of cruising.  We love being waited on in the dining room and meeting new people.  This would basically be gone.  

I have thought for long time they need to do a better job of cleaning between guests in staterooms so that is great, as well as service in the buffet.  I like more frequent cleaning of handrails, elevator buttons and high touch areas.  And everyone should be made to wash their hands before entering buffets or at least using sanitizer.  We always used sanitizer after touching things that other people touched like the miniature golf clubs and always wiped down our cabin at the start of a cruise. We  flew in October and I honestly liked wearing a mask in that over crowded environment. 

But...

Random temp checks are really pointless since so many don’t run a fever with covid and touching your card to something that others touch their card to is a germ spreader unless it’s cleaned and allowed to dry between each use. ( Unless the card reader is some magic thing I’m not aware of.) Waving your card over something would be ok.

I miss cruising so much!  But until it returns to some normalcy we will do other things for a year or 2 or more. This doesn’t look enjoyable enough to spend the money for.  Instead we’ll plan some more visits to places we haven’t seen right here in the good old USA with a lot fewer restrictions.

Looks like a floating hospital prison ship. 

This isnt fun. Im not paying good money for this crap. The virus is spread via airborne aerosols which none of those pointless precautions will ever stop. So its all for show to get the governments to allow them to make some money. If any of those precautions worked we wouldnt be in this pandemic. 

How do i lift and shift an already lifted and shifted cruise due in July?  Can you shift them twice?

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

This isnt fun. Im not paying good money for this crap. The virus is spread via airborne aerosols which none of those pointless precautions will ever stop. So its all for show to get the governments to allow them to make some money. If any of those precautions worked we wouldnt be in this pandemic. 

How do i lift and shift an already lifted and shifted cruise due in July?  Can you shift them twice?

At this point in time I don't think so.

I feel like this is the way it is on land, so if I can be on a ship, I would be accepting of  restrictions.  Anything to go somewhere.  I spend a lot of time on my balcony, so ,unless the waves are wearing masks, that wouldn't be any different.  We usually eat in specialty restaurants and the main dining room, but being served in the buffet would be fine.  Tables spaced apart would actually be nice.  I don't like being too scrunched. All the open restaurants around here look exactly like the video. It does seem funny to see entertainers with masks, but that the way it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

You can’t shift twice and you can’t shift to a sailing past April 30,2022

That being said, Royal did allow guests booked on the quantum for Alaska this year to lift and shift their cruises to next year but it was only to the Quantum 2022 and had to be +/- one week of their sale date.  They did also allow a second shift. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I watched the video. Until the masks are gone, I am gone. 

I am with you.  The measures that they are taking are amazing, but I’m not travelling a day each way just to cruise like this.

When things return to normal then I will return. 

• Like 1

Im amazed people would pay money to endure this. I endure such things to go to the supermarket because i need to eat. 

Im amazed they can call this a holiday. it looks more like a concentration camp with cocktails. 

They must be truly desperate to even offer this and anyone paying money to go on this must be desperate to get away no matter how dreadful it looks

37 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Im amazed people would pay money to endure this. I endure such things to go to the supermarket because i need to eat. 

Im amazed they can call this a holiday. it looks more like a concentration camp with cocktails. 

They must be truly desperate to even offer this and anyone paying money to go on this must be desperate to get away no matter how dreadful it looks

My feelings as well. Also realize that those sailings are not calling on ports. There is no way I would drop thousands of dollars to be told how long I can be in the pool or hot tub or having to schedule meals and shows. I’m not ready to sail on Alcatraz of the Seas. 

5 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

For those in Singapore it is actually better then a staycation where hotels make you book a pool time slot and only get 1 hour per day.

Also if you travel outside the country almost all travel requires a 14 day quarantine when back in a quarantine hotel at the cost of 2k per room plus the cost of 3 swab test.  

Now the best part is there is almost zero community spread (we went a month with no local cases).  So it’s a trade off but the population here is safe. 

Edited by Sail n Snow

18 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

My family of four (two kids, 5 and 10) has been traveling throughout the whole pandemic.  No longer cruising obviously, but now doing national park road trips out west, gone to Hawaii, resorts,  Disney, amusement parks, and weekend trips to many cities.  I would go on a cruise if they offered it in a heartbeat. 

Is it ideal to have to wear a mask and distance.  No, but I wear a mask all day at work and so does my wife, so it’s become completely second nature to me.  As long as it’s not hot outside I barely even remember it’s there at this point.  Same with my kids.  They go to school, distance and wear a mask all day every day.   So it’s just standard procedure now.  My kids even wear their masks in the house sometime and I have to remind them they can take it off

On the flip side of all the restrictions, is the fact that for the most part, lines and waits for things are notably shorter.  Disney is sooo easy to do during the pandemic.  While we miss the parades and fireworks and shows, the ease of getting through the park without a mass of people counterbalances it to some degree.  

This is the same thing at resort properties.   The lines for water slides,” are almost nonexistent now.  Elevator lines have not been an issue for us.   Same when going to many tourist attractions.  You have room to breathe.  You aren’t pushing to get views of things. Yes we have had to schedule pool time, fitness room time, etc. but it hasn’t been an issue for us. Many places that were over touristed now feel like crowds from decades ago.

I do a lot of photography, so the lack of crowds makes taking pics sooo much easier.

Is it ideal?  No.  But for us it’s better than nothing, and in some respects more enjoyable.   Would it be ideal for many, no, especially if you are high risk.  But everyone has limits on what they tolerate on a vacation.

Hopefully the vaccine gets us back to normal as we do miss cruises, but have been able to do things we otherwise wouldn’t have considered.  Due to our jobs, I have already gotten both doses and my wife gets her second next week.  Sadly our kids will be the last in line due to their age.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

I just can't get beyond constantly wearing of a mask and getting my temperature taking every-time I want to do something.  There are plenty of places I enjoy going to and get to lose the mask the entire time I'm there.  I'm going to stick to that until cruises once again resemble something I love to do.

About the only plus I see now is the reduction in passengers. I'd love to sail on an Oasis class at 50%-60% capacity.