New to MSC questions

Envelope21

I've just booked my first MSC cruise. Being familiar with some other common cruise lines, I have a few questions about how MSC does things. I'm booked in an inside cabin Bella category for my first try using MSC. I've read such good things that I hope to book more cruises in the future. In the meantime ...

1) Can you use OBC to go toward gratuities?

2) Is it normal that there are no excursions listed for my booked cruise? (Or perhaps just a current Covid related glitch that the excursions aren't set up yet?)

3) I'm waiting for my status-match to be verified. I hope to be Gold, based on what I've read on Cruise Critic. I see in the benefit list that Gold card members are entitled to a 'welcome back cocktail." Is that one drink, or is there a sort of welcome back party where there are drinks and snacks?

What area?  (Carib?  Mediterranean?)

When?  (If a long time from now, I imagine the excursions will appear closer to sail date.)

What ship?

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions directly.  We loved our MSC cruise last year; can't wait to do some more.

If the OBC is from a travel agent I cannot say.  But I've had OBC from MSC that is simply put as a credit to your on board account and good against any expenses.  It was applied against the service charge on my last US based MSC sailings which were added all in one lump a few days into the cruise.

No excursions 90 days out is not usual and likely caused by the current uncertainties.

The Welcome Back event is ironically available to all passengers who have a Voyagers Club status other than Welcome.  It's a large gathering in a lounge where they serve several basic drinks and most often I've seen some small snacks on tables.  You are usually able to get more than one drink if you ask a server.

3 minutes ago, Até said:

If the OBC is from a travel agent I cannot say.  But I've had OBC from MSC that is simply put as a credit to your on board account and good against any expenses.  It was applied against the service charge on my last US based MSC sailings which were added all in one lump a few days into the cruise.

No excursions 90 days out is not usual and likely caused by the current uncertainties.

The Welcome Back event is ironically available to all passengers who have a Voyagers Club status other than Welcome.  It's a large gathering in a lounge where they serve several basic drinks and most often I've seen some small snacks on tables.  You are usually able to get more than one drink if you ask a server.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Our OBC is from MSC, not a TA. Thanks for your info.

1 hour ago, Envelope21 said:

Divina, April 25, 2021 to the Bahamas, so the cruise is only 90 days out. Just made final payment today.

I guess we all know the real reason, now that you've shown the date......

23 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I've just booked my first MSC cruise. Being familiar with some other common cruise lines, I have a few questions about how MSC does things. I'm booked in an inside cabin Bella category for my first try using MSC. I've read such good things that I hope to book more cruises in the future. In the meantime ...

1) Can you use OBC to go toward gratuities?

2) Is it normal that there are no excursions listed for my booked cruise? (Or perhaps just a current Covid related glitch that the excursions aren't set up yet?)

3) I'm waiting for my status-match to be verified. I hope to be Gold, based on what I've read on Cruise Critic. I see in the benefit list that Gold card members are entitled to a 'welcome back cocktail." Is that one drink, or is there a sort of welcome back party where there are drinks and snacks?

1  i did 2 years ago

2 yes, they will be added later

3 status match takes only a day or two usually. they took my RC pinnacle and made it into MSC black in 30 hours.   your welcome drink will be one drink.  the black benefits are pretty good and black is the only level that gets the cocktail party.

3 hours ago, ericfromri said:

1  i did 2 years ago

3 status match takes only a day or two usually. they took my RC pinnacle and made it into MSC black in 30 hours.   your welcome drink will be one drink.  the black benefits are pretty good and black is the only level that gets the cocktail party.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ericfromri said:

1  i did 2 years ago

When did you match?  There is no longer Black, they changed it to Diamond.  They also reduced match levels.

Our first attempt went radio silent.  Second one of us in a day or two, other a couple weeks.

There have been reports here, like most things MSC being inconsistent, on matching times all over the place.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

When did you match?  There is no longer Black, they changed it to Diamond.  They also reduced match levels.

Our first attempt went radio silent.  Second one of us in a day or two, other a couple weeks.

There have been reports here, like most things MSC being inconsistent, on matching times all over the place.

2.5 years ago i joined       6 months ago  they sent me notice that the program was switched to diamond and i was given a 2023 expiration date if i dont cruise. as it is kind of the middle to bottom on any other cruise line.  black, i think sounds better. a cruise line should have unique level names.

Screenshot_2021-01-26 https www msccruisesusa com.png

On 1/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, Envelope21 said:

Divina, April 25, 2021 to the Bahamas, so the cruise is only 90 days out. Just made final payment today.

First priority is to see if this cruise will actually sail. 

The odds are in favor of it being cancelled due to the Covid 19 situation here in Florida and the US.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, emmas gran said:

The Black now Diamond level are rarely given now , usually Gold

i think it goes by the amount of nights you have with the matching cruise line.  i have 1200 nights with royal so i got the highest level. there are not many people that have more than 500 nights with 1 cruise line.