The Daily for Wednesday Jan 27, 2021

richwmn

@kazu wanted to add my prayers for your BIL’s mother’s recovery and your nephew!  You have definitely had more than your share lately!  
@mamaofamiglad that was a typo, but sending  prayers your friend’s way.  

An update on our niece she is doing well and her heart issues can be treated with meds, so we are very happy.   It sure has been a tough time for so many!  Our neighbours daughter had a transplant but is being moved from ICU today.  I have been sending lots of prayers.  

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu wanted to add my prayers for your BIL’s mother’s recovery and your nephew!  You have definitely had more than your share lately

Thanks Brenda.  It sure feels that way.  Every time we get a bit of relief or good news, it seems more bad news follows in 24 hours.

All we can do is pray and hope and try to fight the anger/frustration that we have.

• Like 10

With the talk of the Grand Canyon I remember our trip.  We stayed in the Angel Bright cabins, right on the rim...(about 50' away)  It was great for the views but horrible because you saw all the kids running towards the rim away from their parents.  There are no guard rails!!  I was stressed out big time.

• Like 7

Good afternoon, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for the Daily News!

Our PCC called yesterday, out of the  blue.  I have no idea why, except maybe she was checking to make sure we were still around. 😄 Anyway, we had a nice chat.  She said there are lots of reservations, but she doesn't know what is going to happen in the future.   She's working from home, and her dog is very happy about that.  I told her I felt our QM2 crossing in July might be a no-go, but we were still hoping for the Rotterdam.  She agreed, but really had no news.  

A few days ago, Pat found a bit of dowel, and decided to take a perch for the hummingbirds on my rose trellis (they have been using a bit of green twist-tie to sit on),  no one was using it, so he had just about decided it was in the wrong place and he would have to look for another spot, and today we discovered that it has passed inspection, and a little lady was sitting on it!  He's very pleased with himself.

IMG_5435.thumb.JPG.b2349726795f42b0fe8877a663843355.JPG

My prayers today will include all those ailing or with ailing family or friends, and waiting for surgeries.  And cheers to all who have managed to get their jabs!  I think we will in for a long wait here in Canada...

• Like 18

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is land based but it's from my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise (Buenos Aires to Miami) that started with a round trip pair of Cunard Transatlantics. 

I've mentioned several times doing something a bit odd to avoid flying out of Baltimore for an important cruise (and on that trip my Cunard transatlantics spared me from flying out of Baltimore in the wake of a 3-foot snowfall).  Part of my reluctance for depending on a winter flight goes back to 2011.  On January 27 I left Baltimore on a flight to Papeete for a world cruise segment on to Auckland.  I thought I had taken care of the chances for problems, leaving 2 extra days, booking the first flight of the morning, and my travel agent had given me a park and sleep package for the airport hotel.  Well, a light snowfall had been forecast and the actual daytime fall had been a modest 4 inches but it was wet and sloppy, and another 4 inches fell overnight,  I had a bit of a scary trip to the hotel, leaving the car a mess:

car.JPG.2b1b6ce2b3845eab376dfe2485356e30.JPG

Worse, the hotel lost power about 9:30PM and either there was no emergency generator or it failed.  The batteries for the emergency lights had depleted by morning, and my 5AM wakeup call was not a call but a knock on the door.  The only lights I had to pack to leave the hotel were a street light shining a bit through the window and the display on my digital camera, followed by a perilous walk down a dark stairway.

I did make my flight and get to Papeete on schedule, but it was not an experience I care to repeat.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Today is our daughter's birthday (yes, she was born 3 days after my birthday) so we will be seeing her and having an outdoor 'round the fire gifts and time together.  

I was born on my mother's actual birthday.

Roy

• Like 7

I  have  great  news  to  report! I  was  able  to  get  appointments  for  my  DH  and  myself  in  3  weeks  at  our  local  pharmacy.  It is  a  small  place  so  I  did  not  think  they  would  be  doing  this. Prior  to  today  I  have  spent  a  great  deal  of  time  going  to  the  New  York  State  website where  "no  appointments  were  available". The  one  exception  was  Potsdam,NY-a  mere  5  hours  away! There   was  much  rejoicing  in  our  household  knowing  that  this  was  at  least on  the  way.

Terry

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I  have  great  news  to  report! I  was  able  to  get  appointments  for  my  DH  and  myself  in  3  weeks  at  our  local  pharmacy.  It is  a  small  place  so  I  did  not  think  they  would  be  doing  this. Prior  to  today  I  have  spent  a  great  deal  of  time  going  to  the  New  York  State  website where  "no  appointments  were  available". The  one  exception  was  Potsdam,NY-a  mere  5  hours  away! There   was  much  rejoicing  in  our  household  knowing  that  this  was  at  least on  the  way.

Terry

Excellent news.  Can't do much better than that.  Yonkers to Pottsdam--Ouch.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@cat shepard Hi Ann, long time no post. I wanted to tell you I'm praying for your surgery outcome to be awesomely perfect tomorrow.  I love you sister.

Thanks for popping in Joy! ❤️

Thank you to all the Dailyites, who have shared their experiences, sent good thoughts and/or prayers. It really means a great deal to me.  

• Like 8

Thanks for the daily and all who are here.

Prayers for all and best wishes for everyone else.

Had a lovely cold walk this am looking at the snow on the hills just above us (500' or so).  We had a few snow flurries yesterday afternoon but nothing to stick due to lots of rain.  Fortunately no ice this am.

I'm trying to learn how to stream so that we can cut the cord this week.  The remote works differently on every service but I have managed to figure out how to get almost everything we had on cable.  Can;t get the local antenna to pick up all my local channels but will work on that with chats with the neighbors when I'm on my walks.

Love Nat Geo and miss volunteering at the library shelving books.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're back home from my birthday get-away (thank you all for the kind birthday wishes!).  It's always nice to get away.  I laugh because having a January birthday in the PNW is a roll of the dice for weather.  It could be a blizzard or a balmy 50 degrees and sunshine.  We had 2 days of torrential rain at the coast.  LOL.  Our cottage was cozy with a fireplace and jacuzzi, and we did manage to get to the beach for a little while one day between rain storms. Probably the best was some seafood take-out dinners that were amazing.

We stopped on our way home last night to get our first Covid vaccines!  Just a bit of a sore arm this morning (as usual after any vaccine for me) and during the night I had a headache, but that's gone this morning.  SO thankful to have the first one done and this process started!  

We have a subscription to National Geographic, always have and I grew up with it because my parents always got it.  I did cancel their National Geographic Travel Magazine after a few years though.  It seemed to be all ads and not much that was applicable to any travel we would be interested in.  Too bad they don't have a National Geographic Cruise Magazine LOL!

Today is our daughter's birthday (yes, she was born 3 days after my birthday) so we will be seeing her and having an outdoor 'round the fire gifts and time together.  

Welcome back @StLouisCruisersand good to hear your feisty MIL is doing better.

🍰 Happy 'belated' Birthday wishes and glad you were able to get the first dose of the vaccine! I'm hearing more and more individuals being able to get an appointment.  😊

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Like many of you, my clock punching days are long gone.  Retiring is one decision I do not regret.  

Tonight's dinner sounds good.   I love sheet pan dinners and generally turn most dinners into a sheet pan one.  Fish on one end and veggies on the other.   This one looks pretty easy to do, mainly chopping time involved.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-dijon-pork-sheet-pan-supper/

I've never had a Long Island Ice Tea.   Maybe someday.  But, I do like a good pinot gris.  

Be careful when you first try "Long Island Ice Tea"  and don't make my mistake! 😜🙃🤪

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I'm just poppping in to say hello, and, if I hurry, it will still be Wednesday!

Hello to the Dailyites! Thanks for the thread.

@cat shepard I hope you get a good night's sleep and fly through tomorrow's procedure.

I love the socks @ger_77!
@StLouisCruisers, what a gift you were given to have another visit with your DMIL. 

@kazu here's hoping that things will be looking up and steady for you soon.

I'm busy packing for our move in February. I have loaded my SUV (and I mean LOADED!-I can't see out the back) to take a load to my childhood church where they are collecting things to sell to the local thrift store as a fundraiser. And I have a start on the next load. The dumpster comes next weekend, and I can't wait....I have many piles of stuff to dump.

Blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 8

Good pictures and memories of the Grand Canyon.  Thank you.  I had the opportunity to work at the Bright Angel Lodge as Harvey Girl the summer before Xanterra took over the hospitality at the Grand Canyon.  While we were not as glamorous as portrayed in the movies about the Harvey Girls, we wore the uniforms that were laundered and pressed for us, follow all of the rather strict rules, were housed and fed, and earned a decent wage.  

"When training was complete, a Harvey Girl was assigned to a Harvey House along the Santa Fe line. Newly trained girls were assigned first to one of the smaller Harvey Houses to perfect her training before moving on to the busier houses in the larger railroad communities. All Harvey Girls were to dress in the company's uniform, which consisted of a black dress, crisp white pinafore apron, polished black shoes, black hose and a white ribbon in their hair. No make-up was allowed. All the girls were inspected to ensure their proper dress before they were allowed on the floor to serve customers."

OIP.3umAYjhWfKu8i-WAsDQ8OAHaE8.jpeg.5c73b662b3a9ff7c16894e379cef278d.jpeg

• Like 5