Veranda Zuiderdam Cabin for South Pacific with minimum motion

OC PAT

We are considering the Hawaiin/South Pacific cruise in Feb/2022. Looking for a nice balcony with less motion since we will be on the Atlantic quite abit.  Is there significant differences between vc, vd, ve, vf?   Any cabins to avoid? We are experienced cruisers but have only done Holland American once. I want a nice cabin.  Unfortuatley, the suites are not in our budget.  Your help is greatly appreciated!

mid ship and lower is recommended for less motion.  The Pacific ocean can be a bit rough off the West Coast at that time of year.  VF is obstructed,, VC,VD and VE are forward or aft which would have more movement,  If you are concerned about motion you need to select a VA mid ship, VB as close to mid ship as you can get would be next best on Deck 4 aft.   Signature Suites on Deck 5 are bigger and mid ship.

@OC PAT - Unfortunately you may have waited too long to be choosy.  We're on that sailing and I actually had looked at what's left to book earlier this morning, just out of curiosity.  It appears that the only verandahs left are all forward.  Cabins to avoid would be those under or over potentially noisy public venues.  Of the ones I saw, there's one on Deck 5 that could work - even though it's forward, it's a low deck (VB5041), is not an adjoining cabin, AND has a cabin above and below it which is always a good choice. While you're deliberating, I would put it on a courtesy hold now.  And of course once you put a deposit on it, you can always watch for other things to open which might happen since it's so far out.

Anyway, hope you find something that works!  Good luck!

PS - there's a fairly active roll call should you book this and care to join

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

The VA’s are mostly on Deck 5, signature suites on 6.  

VAs are currently sold out on this cruise.  And Signature Suites are on Decks 6 and 8.

Edited by zelker

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Playin Pickleball said:

Heartgrove:

New to cruising and intrigued by your comment that VA Cabins 6080 and 6089 are good choices on Vista-class ships. We're looking at cruising with friends in 2022 on Zuiderdam (b2b Panama Canal).  Do you know if those cabins you mention have the bigger balcony and are plexiglass?

They do have clear glass railings and are about 5' - 5.5' (+/-) in depth (same depth as the Signature Suites and Neptune Suites on the same deck).  They are deeper than the VA rooms on deck 5 which have VERY small balconies at about 3.5' deep.  They are also as midship as one can get w/o being right next to the elevator and have a deck of cabins above and below - so very little to no motion and quiet. 

In short these two VA rooms are highly coveted and book fast!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:17 AM, woodworker&knitter said:

We always book mid ship, the lower the better. A President Club member once told me that why should you pay to sway. 😂

I hear the quote from Cruise Critic and President’s Club members, Mary and Bill. They said, “the more you pay, the more you sway”.

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Playin Pickleball said:

Heartgrove:

New to cruising and intrigued by your comment that VA Cabins 6080 and 6089 are good choices on Vista-class ships. We're looking at cruising with friends in 2022 on Zuiderdam (b2b Panama Canal).  Do you know if those cabins you mention have the bigger balcony and are plexiglass?

AtlantaCruiser72 beat me to the answer. :)  The advantage is that Decks 6 and 7 are primarily Signature and Neptune Suites midships except for these four VA cabins. Advantages for them are they do not have the narrower balcony (Deck 5), and The Lido above with the additional floor noise plus a larger overhang (Deck 8). VA6082 and VA6091 verandahs are slightly visible from the midship elevators. Actually SB6084 and SB6093 have the same elevator visibility issue.

VA 8064 and VA8066 are midship and two decks higher but convenient to the Ledo. Overhead is the storeroom for the Lido Bar which should be relatively quiet.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, Storylady said:

I hear the quote from Cruise Critic and President’s Club members, Mary and Bill. They said, “the more you pay, the more you sway”.

Mary and Bill are correct in that the higher the deck the more you'll pay and the more you'll feel the motion.  I always book mid-ship forward. But then I love lots of motion in the ocean:classic_biggrin:  And I've felt lots of motion in my cruise travels.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, lindie15 said:

Looking at this same cruise itinerary for 2023. Cabin 6091 available . Also 8120. Opinions?

I wouldn't stay in 6091. Folks in the glass elevator next to that cabin can see into the balcony of that cabin.

1 hour ago, lindie15 said:

Looking at this same cruise itinerary for 2023. Cabin 6091 available . Also 8120. Opinions?

I'd add that 8120 is under the aft pool deck and wouldn't be our first choice either.  

Just took a quick look - how about 5141 or 5144 - cabins above and below and non-adjoining door and available (Cat VB) at the moment.  Or if you don't mind being by the forward elevators, 5050 and 5047 are available.  IMHO, there are better options than the two you mention.

Good luck.

36 minutes ago, lindie15 said:

Thanks for the room suggestions. I have booked one of them. Having only cruised Celebrity and RC I was not familiar with the HAL deck layouts . 

Happy to help.  Glad you found something that works.  Enjoy your cruise ... we're doing the 45 day version in October of 2022 and can't wait!