Trip Cancellation Insurance refunds when Cruise is Cancelled after final and refunds cruise cost

cruisingxpert

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what happens to your Trip Cancellation Fee(outside company - not through the Cruise line) when a Cruise line cancels cruise after Final payment and you get refunded the cruise cost.

Does the Insurance company refund the payment or give you a credit to apply to another cruise?  Anyone have first hand knowledge?

8 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what happens to your Trip Cancellation Fee(outside company - not through the Cruise line) when a Cruise line cancels cruise after Final payment and you get refunded the cruise cost.

Does the Insurance company refund the payment or give you a credit to apply to another cruise?  Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Ours was credited to the same cruise a year later...handled by our TA...also an outside company.  

13 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

At least twice we  had travel insurance policies transferred to another cruise, when we cancelled our original cruise.  But that was before final payments.  As long as you haven't or don't make a claim, and it's before departure, that seemed to work.  Have you called the travel insurance company or broker and asked directly?  

14 minutes ago, kucherov said:

Ours was credited to the same cruise a year later...handled by our TA...also an outside company.  

Thanks, Stephen.  Good to know.  I haven't taken trip cancellation for the last several cruises but I have booked Sirena Dec 1st and a friend who booked one of the pricier cabins asked that question and I wasn't sure what to answer.

Somewhere I have a picture of you on the beach in Tortola- so wish I was there now.  Hope we see you and Holly on a future cruise.

Our insurance premium was refunded to us once we let the insurance company know of the cruise-company initiated cancellation (upon showing proof that the cruise fare was fully refunded...in our case just a screenshot of the refunded amount from our online statement).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thanks, Stephen.  Good to know.  I haven't taken trip cancellation for the last several cruises but I have booked Sirena Dec 1st and a friend who booked one of the pricier cabins asked that question and I wasn't sure what to answer.

Somewhere I have a picture of you on the beach in Tortola- so wish I was there now.  Hope we see you and Holly on a future cruise.

I hope so too...and I also have that picture, including Shelly from NS.  

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I was given a choice of refund or credit for future trips.

I chose a refund and got it eventually.

That's fabulous Paul! 

We had 5 trips cancelled last year all with insurance totally over $5,000.

Only choice given was to use it for future travels within 2 years of the purchase date, which is impossible considering the world today.  I basically wrote this off as an expense to being fortunate for staying healthy.  Now, I'm thinking I should contact these companies again and try for a refund!   I was working with Allianz and Jefferson.  Any chance you had the good fortune of dealing with them?

Curious to know and appreciate your input...

Mary

1 hour ago, Condocat said:

That's fabulous Paul! 

Only choice given was to use it for future travels within 2 years of the purchase date, which is impossible considering the world today.  I basically wrote this off as an expense to being fortunate for staying healthy.  Now, I'm thinking I should contact these companies again and try for a refund!   I was working with Allianz and Jefferson.  Any chance you had the good fortune of dealing with them?

Mary

maybe now with the world basically locked down  maybe they will extend the Use by date  or refund you

I would certainly give them a call

5 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Dec 1st Sirena from Barbados and Feb 7 2022 on Riviera ABC Islands if you trying to decide on cruises.😃

Booked on Insignia Nov 27....beyond that anything's possible...btw, we got our second dose of Moderna today so we are cruising ready.

18 minutes ago, kucherov said:

Booked on Insignia Nov 27....beyond that anything's possible...btw, we got our second dose of Moderna today so we are cruising ready.

Lucky you.  No idea when I will get my first.

We seem to have a problem getting the vaccine delivered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Condocat said:

That's fabulous Paul! 

Mary

Once my husband fully retired, and we began taking many more trips for many more weeks, we switched from purchasing Allianz trip insurance for each trip separately to purchasing Allianz’s annual insurance plan, which saved us a considerable amount of money over the last few years. Perhaps your circumstances differ from ours.

Insurance is complex and legal contract that can vary by jurisdiction, provider, policy. With the pandemic, it might be to your advantage to roll over a policy or it could be to take a refund. But what your insurance company will do is not necessarily the same as a different provider. Or maybe even what they will do now vs. how they handled things pre-Covid. And maybe one policy from the same provider has different refund/roll-over options than a different policy.

The agent that you bought the policy from can help you or maybe you can phone the insurance provider directly - they will know your policy and what your choices are, if any, and how to consider options. 

We bought trip insurance through Allianz. Our cruise was cancelled and when I called Allianz they told me I could get a refund for the price of the policy or carry it over for another trip. We chose the refund and got it promptly. 

Edited by schmerl

2 hours ago, Condocat said:

Success!   Allianz will be refunding the full amount of the policy.  Now that was one phone call worth staying on hold!

Good for you for not giving up!

Edited by Paulchili

On 2/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, rloke said:

Our insurance premium was refunded to us once we let the insurance company know of the cruise-company initiated cancellation (upon showing proof that the cruise fare was fully refunded...in our case just a screenshot of the refunded amount from our online statement).

Same experience with four cruises and trip insurance for all four.  Fully refunded.  Just had to request the refund.

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Same experience with four cruises and trip insurance for all four.  Fully refunded.  Just had to request the refund.

Not all insurance companies roll over that easily.  Even though we were insured with a major insurance carrier, they couldn't have cared less that we wanted our cash - not credit - back for our cruise that was cancelled by the cruise line.  We finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and whatever they said to the insurance company worked.  We got all of our money back.  

Does this return of premiums apply to just this kind of insurance? or does it apply to all insurance in the US.  If you insure your car and you don t make a claim, do you get the premium refunded?  Surely not.    In the UK there is no return of premium if you didn't take the holiday/cruise you insured for or any other insurance premium.     J

On 2/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Jay23 said:

Does this return of premiums apply to just this kind of insurance? or does it apply to all insurance in the US.  If you insure your car and you don t make a claim, do you get the premium refunded?  Surely not.    In the UK there is no return of premium if you didn't take the holiday/cruise you insured for or any other insurance premium.     J

No, it doesn't work that way for any other insurance. Although many car insurance companies rebate a small portion of your premium if you do not file a claim that year.