PS2 Room 7000 Pros & Cons?

SempreMare

4 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Thanks Peregrina. 

There wouldn’t be a lot of chair noise from the lounge? 

Doubtful, I think the lounge is pretty quiet & sedate. That's the cabin we chose for our upcoming cruise (which probably won't happen) ----- end of the corridor far from the elevators spoke to us. Being the last to sell would weird me out though.

We were in that corridor (7008) on our first ocean cruise and we loved it!  It was very quiet and our cabin steward team took wonderful care of us!  It had an air of exclusivity about it.  We loved being able to skip the elevators for breakfast in the World Cafe, afternoon tea and the Explorers Lounge was "right around the corner"!  

The cons to this location might be the higher level which will make rough sea days feel more rough the higher up you go.  There is no self-service laundry on the 7th level but laundry service is free for PS cabins ... we missed the laundry for our more "personal" things which we didn't necessarily want to send out.  We were able to go down to level six for self-service laundry but not quite as convenient as having it closer.  

All in all it's a great location ... when the seas got rough we went to the bar in the living room!  

• Like 2

Bottomline Upfront-- Take it!   The rooms along this corridor are our favorites. There is an entrance to the Explorer Lounge, two doors with a vestibule between.  (Even experienced contributors like Peregrina651 don't know aboutWe never heard any noise from the lounge.  Easy stroll to the World Café, afternoon tea, and the pool as well as to the do-it-yourself coffee and tea set-up every morning in the Explorer Lounge.  (This allowed us to have the in-room coffee maker removed for more storage space on World Cruise 2019) Straight down the stairs to the Star Theater and the gym.  Spouse is a regular user of the launderette on deck 6 that is close by.  

We are fortunate that sea motion has yet to affect us on any of our cruise trips.   

• Like 2

Eyelarson beat me to it but I was going to mention the "secret" back door to Explorer's Lounge.  On Viking Sun one of the two doors at the forward end of the 7 deck corridor had it's automatic closer set to hard and would slam if let go.  I tried to be considerate of those on 7 deck and close easily (slamming doors on a ship is bad form) but there is some traffic heading into the port side of Explorers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Doubtful, I think the lounge is pretty quiet & sedate. That's the cabin we chose for our upcoming cruise (which probably won't happen) ----- end of the corridor far from the elevators spoke to us. Being the last to sell would weird me out though.

One reason it might be the last to sell is that someone  who booked early cancelled. We took advantage of that on a river cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Eyelarson beat me to it but I was going to mention the "secret" back door to Explorer's Lounge.  On Viking Sun one of the two doors at the forward end of the 7 deck corridor had it's automatic closer set to hard and would slam if let go.  I tried to be considerate of those on 7 deck and close easily (slamming doors on a ship is bad form) but there is some traffic heading into the port side of Explorers.

Same here, we used it a few times. First time it was a bit disconcerting with the double door. Leaving Explorer's I initially thought it was only a storage locker. Came in handy when leaving Explorer's to the Pool Grill.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, aren't public spaces required to have at least two entry/exit points?  Seems I remember that but Chengkp75 is probably more current on passenger ship regulations.

Jim - affirmative, each space must have at least 2 access/egress. Also must be marked accordingly.

20 hours ago, eylarson said:

There is an entrance to the Explorer Lounge, two doors with a vestibule between.  (Even experienced contributors like Peregrina651 don't know about

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Guess it's not much of a secret anymore...

I suspect Peregrina651 knew about it all along, but didn't want to highlight it. It is a very heavy door(s) and in the early days there had been some negative comments about the occasional banging of the door if the closer has not been set properly. 

IMHO to have the Explorer Lounge just outside your cabin would be fabulous!

• Like 1

The reason these doors are heavy is because they are Fire Screen Doors (FSD). They have a main fire subdivision bulkhead between Explorer's and the cabins. Any door within a transverse fire bulkhead must resist the passage of heat and smoke for at least 1 hour.

The Stbd side also has FSD's, but those are rarely closed.

• Like 1