The Daily for Monday Feb 8, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Very glad to see you back today, but boy that is one crazy story about your friend.  He had asymptomatic Covid when he had the shot.  I really sympathize with him.  My MIL had her first shot in her nursing home, then 10 days later tested positive for Covid.  Then 2 1/2 weeks later they gave her the second shot after she had spent the previous week in very bad condition lung-wise (probable bronchitis).  All this at the age of 94!  She is still with us and slowwwwly getting a little stronger.  She doesn't eat enough and everyone is encouraging her to eat more to gain her strength back.  

We get our second Moderna shots tomorrow morning and I'm hoping for no reactions.  Last time it was only a sore arm for 48 hours.  Feeling very lucky here...

I will keep you in my prayers and your MIL. xx

• Like 4

Feb. 8th a year ago on Westerdam, we are somewhere at sea, calm seas too, and have lots of activities scheduled for the day.  Performances go on as scheduled, in the evening.  The Future Cruise Consultant has been very busy booking cruises at 50% off!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. I'm late today as I had a doctors appointment and lab work to do this morning.

Tomorrow is the day for my 1st shot! Of course they're calling for 3-4" of snow overnight, but it's supposed to end late morning and my appointment is early afternoon. Hopefully road crews will have been out and about.

No Superbowl hangover; congrats to the Bucs. I clean out my computer all the time; sometimes I get rid of stuff I later want!

Leftover pizza and salad for dinner, I think.

@rafinmd I hope your brother is doing better.

@summer slope  Glad your DH is feeling better. 

@mamaofami Interesting how people have different reactions. I witnessed an acquaintance's funeral streamed on Facebook. Strange times. Good news on the CT scan!

@Seasick Sailor They may want him to finish quarantine first. Hope you both are ok.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask!

So the situation is, if Allen misses Wednesday shot, all vaccines are taken thru the month of March. Unless doctor cancels his appt, he's taking it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Not completely cleaning out computer but re-installed the printer, deleted duplicate photos from iPhoto and most importantly, made sure that my Mother's land line is registered with do-not-call as she receives calls every 10 minutes about sorry nonsense things.  At nearly 101 years old, she has plenty of other things to keep her busy.  I wish that I could move her to the head of the AZ Covid-19 vaccine line!! Thanks for the posts, makes for a happy way to start the day!

Wow!  101 is amazing!  I know of a website where you register her land line and they stop spam calls from ringing more than one ring and they are zapped.  We have our land line registered with them and for at least 5 years 98% of the spam and telemarketers don't get through.  If you do get one, with a new number, you can go online, sign in and give them a report on it so they can stop them next time.  The worst offender is the auto warranty people who call constantly.  They have new phone numbers every week!  

The cost for a land line is free and if you want to register your cell phone they charge $1.99 per month.  Let me know if you'd like the info, and maybe we can get that site name to you.

• Like 7

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your prayer list Roy. 

DGD and I watched the Super Bowl and had lots of fun. She especially enjoyed the TikTok commercials and halftime show. She even taught me some football lingo. 

The meal suggestion sounds good and I might make that sometime soon but tonight we are having Cowboy sandwiches from http://www.bagginsgourmet.com/. I was out and about running errands and they were having a special so there you go, that’s dinner.  

Blue, our hairless and always cold dog, had a spa day at the vet with a pedicure and dental scaling. I’m trying to stay on top of the dental scaling for him after that expensive tooth extraction a few months ago. 

I’ve been researching how to take a good passport photo. The government passport website has pages of instructions to follow. Ours are due for renewal and I don’t want to wait until the last minute. We did that once and we were on pins and needles wondering if we would get them in time for a trip. 

While I was out I took a picture of the Catalinas from the new section of Sabino Canyon Road next to Udall Park. I thought @Norseh2o would appreciate the view. 

D67CD99D-DE35-4D8F-9FBE-DC1678964F90.thumb.png.f06e22ee07ed8c8debeded75c93b05c5.png
Note the temperature in the lower right corner!  

D0905974-1F4A-4315-AC35-401295E912D0.thumb.jpeg.640f5f1775db80a530ad163d023f9418.jpeg

Udall Park has been a location for Covid testing for the county health department. Very convenient for us east side residents. 

On another note......

A year ago today I was still in Coronado:

29DE6D0F-FFAF-4245-8C36-8E000F770B2C.jpeg.d3ff46877b298107e4968af8e9bdb3f2.jpeg

65C9DC0D-58CB-455C-82F9-44DC543582B9.thumb.jpeg.a6883c7d21dcd7ffaedc0fd7e4243594.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Typo
  • Like 15

14 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your prayer list Roy. 

DGD and I watched the Super Bowl and had lots of fun. She especially enjoyed the TikTok commercials and halftime show. She even taught me some football lingo. 

The meal suggestion sounds good and I might make that sometime soon but tonight we are having Cowboy sandwiches from http://www.bagginsgourmet.com/. I was out and about running errands and they were having a special so there you go, that’s dinner.  

Blue, our hairless and always cold dog, had a spa day at the vet with a pedicure and dental scaling. I’m trying to stay on top of the dental scaling for him after that expensive tooth extraction a few months ago. 

I’ve been researching how to take a good passport photo. The government passport website has pages of instructions to follow. Ours are due for renewal and I don’t want to wait until the last minute. We did that once and we were on pins and needles wondering if we would get them in time for a trip. 

While I was out I took a picture of the Catalinas from the new section of Sabino Canyon Road next to Udall Park. I thought @Norseh2o would appreciate the view. 

D67CD99D-DE35-4D8F-9FBE-DC1678964F90.thumb.png.f06e22ee07ed8c8debeded75c93b05c5.png
Note the temperature in the lower right corner!  

D0905974-1F4A-4315-AC35-401295E912D0.thumb.jpeg.640f5f1775db80a530ad163d023f9418.jpeg

Udall Park has been a location for Covid testing for the county health department. Very convenient for us east side residents. 

On another note......

A year ago today I was still in Coronado:

29DE6D0F-FFAF-4245-8C36-8E000F770B2C.jpeg.d3ff46877b298107e4968af8e9bdb3f2.jpeg

65C9DC0D-58CB-455C-82F9-44DC543582B9.thumb.jpeg.a6883c7d21dcd7ffaedc0fd7e4243594.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, Costco and AAA make great passport photo's and they are "legal"..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ann I love your wine reviews.  Keep them up. (You and summer are our drink ladies after all..) 🥰🥰

Sis!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I got back from vaccines and jumped on board!!! I agree with you! Love  our Ann and Summer’s reviews!!  They started something with the gang and it is fun!!

Joy I read about you and Allen a-little while ago in regards to the Vaccines and your quarantine . I finished giving 2nd Moderna doses today and have to agree with you! Allen needs to take his 2nd dose unless (only) your MD says he has to wait! I pray for both of you! Please let us know ASAP how things go!!!

🌺Tonight a big toast to my sisters and to Allen! 
😊❤️Denise

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So the situation is, if Allen misses Wednesday shot, all vaccines are taken thru the month of March. Unless doctor cancels his appt, he's taking it.

Gosh, no clue how I missed that it was your friend’s husband and not Allen that was in the hospital.  But I am relieved to figure out that it was not him.❤️

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Gosh, no clue how I missed that it was your friend’s husband and not Allen that was in the hospital.  But I am relieved to figure out that it was not him.❤️

🌺Hi Sister!!

How was your appt. today with getting your stitches removed? I finished reading today’s CC and hope all went well!

I enjoy all your writings on CC! Hope Bindi is doing well too today.

Denise😊

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

@cat shepard good wishes today!  

Just now, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Hi Sister!!

How was your appt. today with getting your stitches removed? 

Denise😊

Thanks ladies. Pathology report shows they got it all and I have been cleared for moderate exercise. If all goes well, I can get rambunctious next week. 😎

• Like 11

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Visiting "The Daily. . . ." has become a regular morning event for me.  I enjoy every aspect of Rich's opening.  People who know me, and there are a few out there who do, also know that I am a wine geek.  So, after reading Rich's opener, I look forward to cat shepard's follow-up.  With all due respect to  her (If you are not a lady, I apologize for my presumption.}, I would like to add a few comments.

For those who have never tried it, I think Gewurztraminer is an excellent pairing with Asian cuisine--particularly, Chinese.  Gewurztraminer is vinted over a wide range of sweetness ranging from completely dry to darned (technical wine geek term) sweet such as today's "Late Harvest" example.  In my experience most domestic Gewurztraminers are semi-dry--i.e., there is some detectable sweetness.

It is my opinion that Navarro is the finest Gewurztraminer vintner in California,  They also do a very good job with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

I scurried off to the Navarro web site and found this entertainin information on their Late Harvest Gewurztraminer.

In mid-September of 2019, we left a block of Gewürztraminer unharvested with the hope that the grapes would rot before they were lost to birds or bears, and that the rot would be clean botrytis. Fortunately, we were able to drip-irrigate the vines; this helped maintain a full canopy which protected grape clusters from the birds. Bears go wherever bears want to go but the big bruisers prefer our most remote vineyards. Finally by mid-October, the leaves yellowed and slowly began to fall. We decided to harvest on the 23rd and were thrilled that botrytis had infected many of the clusters. These were our last grapes harvested which is always a relief as well as a festive occasion. The grapes were destemmed and allowed to macerate, releasing flavors and volatile esters from the skins.

After pressing, the juice was cool-fermented in stainless steel to retain all the fruity aromas and flavors. Gewürztraminer's varietal perfume and exotic tropical fruit flavors are well suited for sweet wines and they shine in this bottling. However, this wine's sweetness is counterbalanced with ample acidity so that the finish is clean and crisp. A perfect pairing with ripe melon.

When we started making wine in the 1970s, the textbooks said that botrytis didn't occur naturally in California, so at the destemming machine during harvest Ted would throw away any cluster with rot. During the 1979 harvest, a visiting German winemaker, Konrad Seppelt, scurried behind Ted and picked up the rotten clusters into a bucket. Konrad scolded Ted and said he would crush the grapes Ted threw away and throw away the fruit Ted crushed. To prove his point, he told Ted to eat some of the unappetizing, botrytised berries—they were delicious and the following vintage yielded Navarro's first late harvest wine.

I might add that because of the richness of dessert wines--a little goes a long way--they are often sold in half-bottles--375 ml as opposed to the 750 ml "standard" bottles.  The $25 price is for the 375 ml size from the winery.  If you can find it from another source--retail store or online vendor--it would, probably, be a tad less expensive.

Finally, for readers who enjoy road trips, the drive on State Route 128 from Cloverdale through the Anderson Valley to the Pacific Ocean is awesomely beautiful--especially, through the redwoods at the western end.

Welcome to the group, and thank you for the wine info! It was a welcome and enjoyable read. I love learning about wines, but have no knowledge of my own to share. Hence the daily floor mats  instead. And yes, I always look forward to Ann’s follow up on the wine of the day eagerly.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thanks ladies. Pathology report shows they got it all and I have been cleared for moderate exercise. If all goes well, I can get rambunctious next week. 😎

🌺HAPPY TO HEAR AND Definitely my sister will get an EXTRA BIG TOAST TONIGHT👍

XOXO🌺

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Will Costco still be doing passport photos. I understand that all in store photo show will close and you can only order photos, etc online to be shipped to your home. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺HAPPY TO HEAR AND Definitely my sister will get an EXTRA BIG TOAST TONIGHT👍

XOXO🌺

My sisters:

Me too @cat shepardAnn! Toasting to you for stitch removal and good diagnosis.  Cheers to you Denise for your faithful work to those in need of shots. 

Our covid friend is going home about 6 pm. Wish he could stay a day or 2 more. He's got leukemia and a bit rickety to begin with. Now his sweet wife will take care of him best she can and try to avoid his covid infection. She has covid test at 8 tomorrow.  A royal mess..

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps things are different here in Texas.

from website:

Passport Photos at Costco- no longer available after February 14, 2021 

Important Costco Photo Center Announcement (January 13, 2021) 

....We are writing to inform you about the upcoming closure of the photo department at all Costco locations on Sunday, February 14, 2021.
Costco’s home movie video transfer, passport photo, photo restoration and ink cartridge refill services will no longer be available after February 14, 2021.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My sisters:

Me too @cat shepardAnn! Toasting to you for stitch removal and good diagnosis.  Cheers to you Denise for your faithful work to those in need of shots. 

Our covid friend is going home about 6 pm. Wish he could stay a day or 2 more. He's got leukemia and a bit rickety to begin with. Now his sweet wife will take care of him best she can and try to avoid his covid infection. She has covid test at 8 tomorrow.  A royal mess..

So sorry to hear about your friends.  They and you will be in my prayers.  

it is great that so many on this thread are working to stop this virus!  The BBC news was so sad when they said the gravediggers in South Africa are struggling to keep up with all the deaths there.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I don’t know about Costco but AAA and Walgreens aren’t doing passport photos because of Covid now. I think that is why https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html?css=print has so much information about taking your own. But I will check with Costco just to make sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

’ve been researching how to take a good passport photo. The government passport website has pages of instructions to follow. Ours are due for renewal and I don’t want to wait until the last minute. We did that once and we were on pins and needles wondering if we would get them in time for a trip. 

If Costco centers close February 14 you might want to act quickly.

Roy

• Like 3

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drinks ladies, recipes and all who enjoy this thread.

A quiet day getting some chores done, including the grocery store early this am.  DH is getting over a cold so just soup for dinner.

The computers could use a little cleaning out.  Fortunately last year I created a master photo file on a external hard drive so most of the rest of the clean up is sorting files to keep and deleting unnecessary stuff.  Something to do over the weekend when they say it might snow here in Oregon.

Edited by baltic17
forgot to include closing
  • Like 9