Carnival Withdraws New Policies (re:COVID)

Sugar67

Thank you, this was interesting to read. I have a cruise booked in January of 2022, but my final payment is November and I am struggling with how much I am willing to endure to cruise  to cruise and I must decide before final payment date. Not sure I can even talk my wife into a covid test under the current process for testing. She never loved cruising anyway, she just likes cruising as long as not too inconvenient. 

The problem with all of this information that has been speculated before, it is all based on the "now" and not what is to come. Lets assume cruising gets the go ahead to start May 1. From now through April 1, the new strains are going to be rampant and massively accelerating. The vaccines believe they will be effective, but no guarantee. The next question is if Group 3 will be vaccinated by then. The cruise lines need to make a decision on children under 18 years old. There is no vaccine, so they can't enforce a vaccine for them. Every day goes by that I think cruising is done for 2021.

• Like 2

Cruise Line Covid policies are basically CDC policies which are subject to change at any time. Better for Carnival just to refer people to the CDC site than for Carnival to try to keep current - at least until cruising actually restarts.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 3

The vaccine is the big question. Will it be required? I asked my doctor to tell me her personal opinion, should I get it, and she said no, that the risks of the vaccine currently outweighed the risks of the virus at my age with no other health problems and that no studies have been completed yet on infection after vaccine, so it might be a waste of time, and this was before all the new strain talk.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise Line Covid policies are basically CDC policies which are subject to change at any time. Better for Carnival just to refer people to the CDC site than for Carnival to try to keep current - at least until cruising actually restarts.

At this point they all just need to keep repeating "We are ready to comply with all CDC guidance  so that we may resume sailing as soon as possible, as safely as possible, and "insert catchy tagline about fun/relaxation that fits our cruiseline's brand".  We can't wait to welcome our crew back and show our guests a safe and fun/relaxing vacation." 

They're all going to want to do what is required by the CDC and implement it in a way that least impacts the whole experience, because people have high expectations for their vacation dollars and they of course know that.  One thing I worry about is how the foreign ports/people must be so desperate for the tourist money they've lost this last year from cruises.  I hope their leaders don't sacrifice their citizens' health and safety by allowing ships back without the infrastructure (testing/vaccines/medical care) for them to stay healthy and alive.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Freckle53 said:

At this point they all just need to keep repeating "We are ready to comply with all CDC guidance  so that we may resume sailing as soon as possible, as safely as possible, and "insert catchy tagline about fun/relaxation that fits our cruiseline's brand".  We can't wait to welcome our crew back and show our guests a safe and fun/relaxing vacation." 

Apparently they need to do more. People still seem to be in denial about the severity of the virus, mask wearing, social distancing, etc. Whiners are still posting they won't cruise if they have to wear masks. Well, they are going to have to for an indefinite period of time into the future.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Freckle53 said:

One thing I worry about is how the foreign ports/people must be so desperate for the tourist money they've lost this last year from cruises.  I hope their leaders don't sacrifice their citizens' health and safety by allowing ships back without the infrastructure (testing/vaccines/medical care) for them to stay healthy and alive.

This is exactly what I would do if I ran Carnival. I would make a deal with Mexico on becoming a home port for Caribbean cruises and start working out some airfare deals to include in cruise prices. Free covid testing before flying back and a quarantine guarantee just like the AI resorts are doing in Mexico. The CDC in the US has drug their feet for far too long. If I can go to Walmart and Disney, I can cruise. Heck, even movie theaters are back open here and airlines never closed. I had to fly last month on a full plane with a person seated on each side of me. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

The vaccine is the big question. Will it be required? I asked my doctor to tell me her personal opinion, should I get it, and she said no, that the risks of the vaccine currently outweighed the risks of the virus at my age with no other health problems and that no studies have been completed yet on infection after vaccine, so it might be a waste of time, and this was before all the new strain talk.

I’m guessing by your doctor’s quote that you are young.  I’m certainly not old (and have had covid) but am certainly going to get the vaccine before my Sep-21 cruise IF it is available and I get to go.  

Make sure you are not twisting your words or at least SAID to you doctor: “I am planning to go on a cruise, should I get the vaccine to protect myself OR OTHERS”?  She was very irresponsible if she based her recommendation exclusively on your health.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Apparently they need to do more. People still seem to be in denial about the severity of the virus, mask wearing, social distancing, etc. Whiners are still posting they won't cruise if they have to wear masks. Well, they are going to have to for an indefinite period of time into the future.

Like that is going to make any of the cruiselines say "oh, ok.  No masks and we'll get you back on board just the way it's always been!"  They don't seem to understand that it's not Carnival's call on what will be required.  Just like it's not NCL's or Royal's or anyone else's call on any of that for ships going out of the US.  The cruiselines want to resume sailings. 

I think there will be plenty of people ready to go with just about any new procedures like masks and testing--at this point I am barring something like a required daily colonoscopy or something like that. LOL  I think that is *my* line in the sand of saying, "thanks, but no thanks!".

Of course, many don't want to so they can stay home and do something else.  I'm sure eventually it will be normal again, but it's certainly not going to start up right where they left off in March and none of them can afford to just sit floating empty until they're able to do that.  I'm ready to go on the sailing we booked just a month ago for late summer.  One of my kids will be a HS senior next fall and I'd like us all to sail again before he flies the nest.  

• Like 4

Part of the purpose for mass vaccination is to eliminate the virus before it can mutate so much as to make the vaccine ineffective.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@asalligo

Not to pick on you in any way.  My wife had an outbreak of Covid cases at the daycare she worked at about a week before Christmas.  Most of the workers were 20-30s in age & few of the 9 workers (out of 12 total who TESTED positive) showed any symptoms.  I had no symptoms myself but tested because of my wife’s work at the same time she did.

The moral of my story is not how deadly this is to young people, but how fast & unknown the virus does travel thru all populations.  Hope that helps with your vax decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Find another doctor.

Vaccines are not the end all.  But go a long way toward prevention. Masks and washing hands frequently work but probably not as well as a vaccine.  Just as with a flu vaccine, or shingles vaccine, you could still contract the virus.  Just lowers your risk of getting it.  Much of the anti-vaccine stuff on the internet isn't backed by science and is promulgated by anti-vaccers and naturo-health practitioners selling products. And, as someone who has had both shots, I can say the after affects are not all that severe.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Ah, but which indefinite period of time will be longer? The indefinite period of time that we'll have to wear masks, or the indefinite period of time until cruising resumes?

Put another way, if things are still bad enough that masks are required, they might be bad enough that the CDC will not allow cruising to resume.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Ah, but which indefinite period of time will be longer? The indefinite period of time that we'll have to wear masks, or the indefinite period of time until cruising resumes?

Put another way, if things are still bad enough that masks are required, they might be bad enough that the CDC will not allow cruising to resume.

Rather than be one of the armchair admirals who make blanket statements of how long before cruising restarts or how long we will need to wear masks, I prefer to try to keep it real. Nobody knows.

Things don't have to be bad at all for masks to be required. Because many are wearing masks and the rest, flu cases are down. Perhaps Noro as well. Both are welcome. When cruising restarts, nobody needs false alarms.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Things don't have to be bad at all for masks to be required. Because many are wearing masks and the rest, flu cases are down. Perhaps Noro as well. Both are welcome. When cruising restarts, nobody needs false alarms.

yep...  we’ll be wearing masks forever pretty much in public.  Haha.

5 hours ago, asalligo said:

This is exactly what I would do if I ran Carnival. I would make a deal with Mexico on becoming a home port for Caribbean cruises and start working out some airfare deals to include in cruise prices. Free covid testing before flying back and a quarantine guarantee just like the AI resorts are doing in Mexico. The CDC in the US has drug their feet for far too long. If I can go to Walmart and Disney, I can cruise. Heck, even movie theaters are back open here and airlines never closed. I had to fly last month on a full plane with a person seated on each side of me. 

If you get sick at Walmart, Disney, on a plane, at home, at a hotel, etc, you're not too far from a hospital. If you get sick on a ship, good luck. 

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Find another doctor.

Vaccines are not the end all.  But go a long way toward prevention. Masks and washing hands frequently work but probably not as well as a vaccine.  Just as with a flu vaccine, or shingles vaccine, you could still contract the virus.  Just lowers your risk of getting it.  Much of the anti-vaccine stuff on the internet isn't backed by science and is promulgated by anti-vaccers and naturo-health practitioners selling products. And, as someone who has had both shots, I can say the after affects are not all that severe.

Not saying the doctor gave the best advice in the world, I don’t know. But blanket ‘get a new doctor’ statement is uncalled for. It’s entirely possible that this posters doctor has access to medical history that he/she didn’t care that would cause a ‘not recommended’ for vaccination. Like pregnancy or severe allergies. They didn’t say that the doctor was anti vaccination, just that his/her risks outweighed the benefit. And if he/she is prone to anaphylaxis then that may be true...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Make sure you are not twisting your words or at least SAID to you doctor: “I am planning to go on a cruise, should I get the vaccine to protect myself OR OTHERS”?  She was very irresponsible if she based her recommendation exclusively on your health.

This is an unreasonable ask. The doctor should give the patient the best medical advice for the patient based on them and their family. A doctor shouldn’t be giving medical advice based on what would be best for random stranger the patient may come into contact with 6 months from now. Would you really prefer your doctor give medical advice like this? Or based on what’s best for YOU medically.

that’s a bit like saying my doctor shouldn’t prescribe me pain meds after my surgery because maybe someone will steal them and therefore increase the opioid epidemic.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, asalligo said:
7 hours ago, Freckle53 said:

IMO, you are living recklessly.  Mexico was not a safe place before Covid and I certainly wouldn’t trust that  country with anything to do with my health now!  It is not really safe to go to the grocery store now as per my Dr.  I do not and Disney and flying would definitely be out!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, asalligo said:

Wow, your Dr's reply is stunning.  I'd highly recommend you get a new Doctor. People aren't dying of the vaccine....  protecting not only yourself but those you come in contact with is never a waste of time.  Stay safe and take care.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see what the requirements will actually be once cruising begins.  I kind of regret having a cruise booked in August because the requirements floating around sound miserable to me.  Maybe it won't be so bad.  If my cruise sails, at least I have a nice balcony cabin booked.

As far as the vaccine, I have a relative who is 81 and has all kinds of major high risk health issues.  He recently received his second dose and his only symptom was a sore arm.  He received the moderna vaccine, if that makes any difference.  I figure that if he can get it with all of his health issues and not have any problems, I can get it.  I know a young doctor who received both doses and had no issues either.  I have a feeling that the people who have severe symptoms receive much more attention than the thousands who are just fine.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

As far as the vaccine, I have a relative who is 81 and has all kinds of major high risk health issues.  He recently received his second dose and his only symptom was a sore arm.  He received the moderna vaccine, if that makes any difference.  I figure that if he can get it with all of his health issues and not have any problems, I can get it.  I know a young doctor who received both doses and had no issues either.  I have a feeling that the people who have severe symptoms receive much more attention than the thousands who are just fine.

of course they do.  Not nearly as much money for the media conglomerates in reporting on the large majority of people who are fine with only minor or no symptoms (same thing with those who come down with COVID itself).

• Like 3