Avalon Waterways to Make Proof of COVID-19 Vaccinations, Tests Mandatory for Cruisers

Host Jazzbeau

This may sound stupid, but how are we going to prove that we got the vaccine. When I got the vaccine, I got a card that has the date and lot number on it.  I could put any name on it.  I may be able to get a print out from work, but that would be easy for people to fake.  What do they consider proof of vaccine?

Judy

I got that card, too, at vaccination time. However, there is a way to print a copy of your "vaccination certificate." Did you sign up thru the VAMS portal (Vaccine Administration Management System of the CDC)? You can sign back in with your password and then download the PDF of your certificate and print it. I have had only the first Moderna shot and printed that certificate, but it appears I will be able to print the second certificate after I get the vaccine.  

9 hours ago, VT Hokie Cruiser said:

I got that card, too, at vaccination time. However, there is a way to print a copy of your "vaccination certificate." Did you sign up thru the VAMS portal (Vaccine Administration Management System of the CDC)? You can sign back in with your password and then download the PDF of your certificate and print it. I have had only the first Moderna shot and printed that certificate, but it appears I will be able to print the second certificate after I get the vaccine.  

I got my vaccine thru my employer and don't remember signing up for VAMS.  I'll have to call employee health and talk to them. Thanks

Judy

I can see the "triple option" becoming a standard on European lines as well - if it is in line with EU regulations. While mandatory vaccine requirements in travel is a tricky legal issue as far as workforce, administrations, countries and borders are concerned (the debate is already going on in the EU), private companies in Europe may not face that problem that much when offering their services. We will see.

The either-or idea of vaccination, test, immunity could be a good workable solution, also around legal issues, already for Summer and I can see that being feasible not just for AvalonWaterways.

notamermaid

To be honest, I'd much rather know that my fellow passengers were vaccinated over producing a negative test.  You can be negative one day, positive the next, whereas if you have the vaccine, hopefully it will mean that you can no longer carry the virus.  Of course, it's all new, so it will be a while before we find out how long they last, and how well they work.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on Avalon River Cruise for late Sept. 2021. Basel to Amsterdam. Will Avalon communicate the requirements of cruise prior to Final Payment which is in late June?

Requirements such as Covid vaccination and proof which we have, Covid testing pre cruise and Covid Testing at end of cruise at disembarkation prior to flying back to USA which is the current requirement to get home from overseas.

Will Avalon be requiring passengers to wear mask On-Board if they have been vaccinated?

A lot of questions & uncertainty at the moment.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, VT Hokie Cruiser said:

I registered with vsafe but not VAMS. I am looking at their website and don't see where to register.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, BPCruiser said:

We are booked on Avalon River Cruise for late Sept. 2021. Basel to Amsterdam. Will Avalon communicate the requirements of cruise prior to Final Payment which is in late June?

Requirements such as Covid vaccination and proof which we have, Covid testing pre cruise and Covid Testing at end of cruise at disembarkation prior to flying back to USA which is the current requirement to get home from overseas.

Will Avalon be requiring passengers to wear mask On-Board if they have been vaccinated?

Here is the Canadian site for their regulations https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/avalon-assurance/

On that page, you will see links for a Health & Safety Waiver, and pre -trip screening.  It also tells you what is required.  They should contact you (or your TA).  Sign into MyAvalon and you will see what you need to complete.  I hope you are able to take your cruise, but with the way things are going in Europe right now, I would be prepared for other plans.  

3 hours ago, BPCruiser said:

Hi BP Cruiser,

I think we are on the same Avalon cruise Sept. 22-Oct. 4! Basel to Amsterdam.  This cruise date is selling very well. We booked this almost a year ago after our ocean cruises one by one were cancelled.  In the late 70's we lived in Germany and visited all the places the cruise is going, so it will be nostalgic for us.  Unfortunately the trip seems to be turning into a nightmare of requirements, and I am almost sorry we are going🤕.

I looked at my TA invoice, and our final payment is due August 3rd instead of June 17th.  I double checked on that, and it gives us time to see if the river cruising will actually start in June. I was able to book Delta with miles, so I hope the cruise goes.

We also have our COVID vaccinations, but our European destinations and Delta seem to also want a negative COVID test 72 hours before the flight, but when I read the requirements for Switzerland, they want it 72 hours before you arrive there, which is pretty much impossible.  A few weeks ago I read at the Avalon web site that they would provide COVID testing at no charge, for guests who require it to return home.  It was in the "health and safety" section at the web site.  Now they have redesigned their web site and it is gone!  "Daisi "gives the info  link for Canada and it is still there.  I sent Avalon an email about that.  The web page is very detailed as to protocols on the ship and tours and mask requirements, so take a look at it.

I hope this answers some questions, but like you, I am really stressed out!

Karen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BPCruiser said:

Hi BP Cruiser,

I received a reply from Avalon Waterways that they and the entire Globus family of touring will be providing COVID testing at no cost for guests who require them to return to their home country.

One less thing to worry about!  We are on the 13 day Rhine/Moselle cruise...hope it goes.

Karen

• Like 1