UK Restrictions Threaten 2021 TA

marieps

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Then that places you squarely in the group of people who cannot grasp what I am saying.  A 'booster' is not descriptive of a formulation, rather 'booster' refers to the function a vaccination shot.  Many 'boosters' for various diseases are the very same shot that was originally given.  They are referred to as 'boosters' because they boost a person's immune response back up to the desired level.  Yes, some boosters are 'tweaked' versions of the original dose but many others are the exact same formulation of the original dose.

According to Medicinenet.com, the definition of a booster shot is as follows:

"Medical Definition of Booster shot

Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

Booster shot: An additional dose of a vaccine needed periodically to 'boost' the immune system. For example, a booster shot of the tetanus and diphtheria (Td) vaccine is recommended for adults every 10 years."

See:  Definition of Booster shot (medicinenet.com)

I hope this helps you to grasp what I have said.  If it doesn't, then I cannot help you.

You must be aware that both he Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two inoculations to reach stated efficacy of 95 percent.  It's more like one vaccination which must be given twice.  NOT a booster.

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You must be aware that both he Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two inoculations to reach stated efficacy of 95 percent.  It's more like one vaccination which must be given twice.  NOT a booster.

agreed... by definition you cannot have a booster shot until you are fully immunized (2 weeks after second shot) and although your second shot boosts your immunity it is not a booster shot. Just words and definitions. I will get my second shot in a few days and a booster when and if it is required. Will also get several shots of Black Label along the way. Glad we are discussing what to call the second shot not if we should get vaccinated.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2021 at 10:05 PM, marieps said:

I am reading that travelers from outside the UK will have to quarantine for at least 5 days (10 w/o a negative private test), which will kill our plans for the Sirena TA out of Southampton in October.  That's a long way off, but final payment is in mid-April.  We booked in June 2020, before O's payment protection plan, which began with cruises booked after Aug 1.  Am I missing something, or must I hope for a drastic swing in the virus to avoid cancelling?  

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I'll let the doctors at UC Davis know that they're wrong because you said so.  They'll probably change their minds after hearing that.

@azdrydock is correct in that what we are discussing is definitions and words, not the actual practice.  I will continue to maintain that the original dose formula will function as a booster if one is needed after a while.  I really don't want to beat this dead horse any longer - even a booster shot won't bring it back...  😄 

1 hour ago, BenMurphy said:

Hold tight, things may change fairly quickly before then. Our "government" has been caught on the hop and they are trying all sorts of things! 

Have you had a Covid injection with evidence to support it? This may be enough

Sadly, Ben, I do not qualify as yet for the jab.  Perhaps by October.

36 minutes ago, clo said:

Speaking of, I guess you saw that their airline just went belly up.

I do not have any flights on Air Namibia. I fly there on UA and ET flights.

Namibia has just set up a network of clinics throughout the country  for travelers to get their return home covid test. They are doing the rapid antigen tests. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'll let the doctors at UC Davis know that they're wrong because you said so.  They'll probably change their minds after hearing that.

@azdrydock is correct in that what we are discussing is definitions and words, not the actual practice.  I will continue to maintain that the original dose formula will function as a booster if one is needed after a while.  I really don't want to beat this dead horse any longer - even a booster shot won't bring it back...  😄 

I'll get my COVID-19 booster when Pfizer offers an update to cover mutations, such as the "UK" and "South Africa" variants.  In the meantime we are content with our two Pfizers, using PPE, social distancing and washing/sanitizing hands.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

...A 'booster' is not descriptive of a formulation, rather 'booster' refers to the function a vaccination shot.  Many 'boosters' for various diseases are the very same shot that was originally given.  They are referred to as 'boosters' because they boost a person's immune response back up to the desired level.  Yes, some boosters are 'tweaked' versions of the original dose but many others are the exact same formulation of the original dose.

According to Medicinenet.com, the definition of a booster shot is as follows:

"Medical Definition of Booster shot

Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

Booster shot: An additional dose of a vaccine needed periodically to 'boost' the immune system. For example, a booster shot of the tetanus and diphtheria (Td) vaccine is recommended for adults every 10 years."

See:  Definition of Booster shot (medicinenet.com)...

9 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

6 hours ago, azdrydock said:

agreed... by definition you cannot have a booster shot until you are fully immunized (2 weeks after second shot) and although your second shot boosts your immunity it is not a booster shot. Just words and definitions. I will get my second shot in a few days and a booster when and if it is required. Will also get several shots of Black Label along the way. Glad we are discussing what to call the second shot not if we should get vaccinated.

Indeed, but hey we cannot all be correct and he wrong. 🙄

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

At least he's recognised the horse is dead, so that's good to know.

26 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Why do you hate horses?

For Pfizer its 21 days between shots.  Got mine at the 20 day point - one day early.  Not having any reactions...reactions...reactions...tick, tick.  On the plus side I can now change channels on the TV without using the remote.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I'm certainly happy that I grew up in an educational system that encouraged freedom of thought.  I suppose some places teach unity of thought and those who think differently must be belittled because otherwise they become a threat to universal knowledge...

Very sad indeed.  😢 

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm certainly happy that I grew up in an educational system that encouraged freedom of thought.  I suppose some places teach unity of thought and those who think differently must be belittled because otherwise they become a threat to universal knowledge...

Very sad indeed.  😢 

Daniel, I think the educational system of which you speak is under siege.  It's not "some places."  It's most places.  Conform or be cancelled.    No political parties mentioned here...so hopefully the administrator will leave us be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Very sad indeed.  😢 

So, you are a proponent of denying posters on cruise critic the right to call out misinformation....wow!

4 minutes ago, hamrag said:

So, you are a proponent of denying posters on cruise critic the right to call out misinformation....wow!

No, I am a proponent of civil discussion of various viewpoints without ad hominem attacks.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, Daniel A said:

27 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

No, I am a proponent of civil discussion of various viewpoints without ad hominem attacks.

Really, the evidence above doesn't really support such claim!

Edited by hamrag

On 2/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, Croooser said:

Thanks for posting this info. IMHO, in the USA we have a self absorbed view of the world. So, the fact that the UK is at a >25% rate gets little or no media play over here. Yesterday's data indicates another 1,700,000 doses administered in the UK!

On a wing and a prayer, we also have a TA out of Southampton booked in November. Still need a minor miracle sequence of events for it to happen but this info breathes some life into our hopes.

Would love to provide a wee bit of help to the UK economic recovery with a couple of days of getting our London "fix".

Sorry, no insight on Oceania out of Miami next winter season but I'd guess that there is a decent chance with continued progress between now and then. Fingers crossed for you. 

From the CDC its very own self (as of today), its stance on the crusing framework: 

"This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021."

Between that and the UK's new "everyone arriving internationally must quarantine for 10 day or $5K fine, doubled if you lie" rule--with no mitigation for cruisers--I'm sorry to say your cruise probably has a snowball's chance in hell...

We also have a Dec cruise out of Miami on the Riviera booked and are gonna let it ride for now but not putting any energy into booking flights, etc.

The humor in this, if one can find humor anywhere today, is that our new dearly elected President recently said that everyone that wanted to be vaccinated probably can be by late summer. Here we have his CDC saying that even if vaccinated, cruising is prohibited in the US until winter.

This is what happens when governmental bureaucrats can make far reaching decisions without considering economic consequences.

The cruise line industry should now pull all of their ships out of US waters and deprive those ports of the docking/ anchorage fees and other financial benefits they are now receiving. The CDC may not care about economic consequences but some politicians might.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The cruise line industry should now pull all of their ships out of US waters and deprive those ports of the docking/ anchorage fees and other financial benefits they are now receiving. The CDC may not care about economic consequences but some politicians might.

Right; our town was making a million dollars a month for hosting 3 NCL ships for several months...

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Here we have his CDC saying that even if vaccinated, cruising is prohibited in the US until winter.

The CDC hasn't said that at all. It's said "Follow this framework and you can receive approval to cruise."

The CDC still needs to put more meat on the bones of that framework in order for the cruise lines to submit their plans, but that does not change the fact that the CDC does not have an absolute prohibition on cruising in place.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The CDC hasn't said that at all. It's said "Follow this framework and you can receive approval to cruise."

The CDC still needs to put more meat on the bones of that framework in order for the cruise lines to submit their plans, but that does not change the fact that the CDC does not have an absolute prohibition on cruising in place.

Sorry; I was reacting to sofietucker’s fake news. I should have known better to accepted her post without proofing it. 

Why would she post such fake news? Trolling?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Sorry; I was reacting to sofietucker’s fake news. I should have known better to accepted her post without proofing it. 

Why would she post such fake news? Trolling?

EXCUSE ME??? I did not post any such thing. My post is a direct cut and paste from the CDC's current conditional sailing framework about  pushing the end of the conditional sail order to Nov. 1, 2021. How DARE YOU. 

Edited by sofietucker

Here is the link from which I copy/pasted. First item on the page.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Note there is nothing whatsoever about vaccinations.

And why on earth "should [you] have known better"??? You don't know me, nor anything about me. I suppose one might as well say, "After all,  what can you expect, from someone who drinks pinot?"

Edited by sofietucker