The Daily for Friday Feb 12, 2021

richwmn

today is Abraham Lincoln's Birthday, Chinese New Years, and National Lost Penny Day

Just because your doctor has a name for your condition doesn't mean he knows what it is.

Meal suggestion for today - Ravioli Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Vampire's Kiss

Wine of the day - Trapiche Medalla Cabernet Sauvignon - Argentina - Red vintage

at Sea English Channel
Ooosterdam destination Baie De Sein

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Long Beach today
Nieuw Amsterdam destination San Ignacio Anchorage
Noordam
Westerdam

La Paz MX
Zuiderdam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen Anchorage
Zaandam

Torquay
Eurodam
Volendam

0212USA.thumb.png.ddfbe2211cd257faaa039dcffa4b1384.png

0212Channel.thumb.png.f47eb0fde5bc68413e8c3e8869510bdc.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Roy

Roy's brother

Seasick Sailor in Quarantine and friend with Covid pneumonia

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

ger77 (Gerry) recovering from fall

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jabs for dfish

Sharon's mom released from hospital

Kazu's BIL's mom sitting up

Overhead Fred's Mitzi getting an appointment for Covid shot

Denise (DeeniEncinitas) 50th Anniversary

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thank you Rich for your double duty.  Happy Birthday President Lincoln, always hunt for lost penny's and Happy Chinese New Year.  I think it's the year of the Ox.  I totally agree with the quote.  The meal sounds good but we are having chicken pot pie.

Prayers and virtual hugs for both our lists.  Roy get well, we miss you!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Vampire's Kiss:

INGREDIENTS
2  ounces raspberry vodka 2  ounces Chambord raspberry liquor (black raspberry liqueur) 3  ounces cranberry juice
DIRECTIONS
Put ice and water in martini glass, to chill.
Put all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice and shake the heck out of it!
Dump ice/water from glass.
Strain into martini glass and ENJOY!

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 6.46.04 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, it’s cold and wet today.  We are supposed to be heading to Ocracoke island today but it’s too windy for the ferry to run.  Looks like we will delay until Sunday.  Hope Roy has a speedy recovery.

• Like 12

Good morning. Thank you Rich, as always for the fleet report, the maps, and the conversation kickstart. And again, for stepping in for Roy.

Our prayers for those with a need, and cheers for those with a cause.

It's 7F here this morning, and we're waiting for the snow and colder temps to move in this weekend. Depending on which direction the weatherman is facing we're supposed to get from 5 to 10 inches of snow. Maybe. They seem most confident in 7 to 10. And temps to 10 below with wind chills from minus 20 to 40. Good weekend to hibernate with a pot of chili.

Have a great day, everyone! Stay safe and healthy. And warm, where appropriate.

Lori & George

• Like 20

Good Morning, the meal suggestion sounds good.  I have no idea what we will have yet, I’m leaning towards takeout.  DH got his first Pfizer shot yesterday at work.  His arm was sore, more than usual after an injection, that was the only side effect so far.  

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We are supposed to be heading to Ocracoke island today but it’s too windy for the ferry to run.

Wow. I remember taking the ferry over to Ocracoke. Our family used to vacation on Hatteras every summer. That was back 50 years ago. My first time on the ocean. There weren't many people to trip over back then. Thanks for the memories.

George

• Like 7

Happy Chinese New Year. Pic is from feb 2018 parade in Victoria BC. It was a very cold day.

thanks rich for your efforts. The trapiche is a great wine if you like red and Cabernet Sauvignon. It has been one of our favourite wines.

hope Roy is doing better and will soon be back.

55B5B8F9-8B53-4A09-ADAE-C7D34333BFF9.jpeg

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Birthday Mr Lincoln.

Happy New Year!

No pennies up here.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion.

The drink of the day sounds interesting.  Hope the wine is good too.

Sending prayers to all, and an extra one for Roy.

Stay safe.

• Like 17

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂  And thank you for taking care of Roy’s list so well.

Happy Chinese New Year and birthday to Abe.  No searching for lost pennies here.  They don’t exist in Canada any more 😉 

LOL on the quote.  Summer, that drink sounds yummy.

I think we’ll pass on the meal suggestion for tonight as we had mushroom lasagna (with portobello mushroom) last night.  New recipe & pretty good.  DH who is not a fungus fan really enjoyed it.

313A5834-50CF-43F7-A985-27C8930486E5.thumb.jpeg.53c6374cab2772c98e8ad5aaa274f07e.jpeg

Speaking of DH, I caught him checking for growth with a magnifying glass over the chili seed container yesterday.  I told him it was too soon and he gleefully pointed to one coming up.  A Serrano, though - @bennybear not one of last years - it’s too soon for them if they do sprout.  I’ll be starting another batch today and crossing my fingers.

Today Miko is being tested to see if he has learned to walk properly with someone who excites him a lot.  It will be interesting.  If he passes I won’t be breaking his treats in half 😉 

5509E3A0-EFC0-4598-A301-0A7C4A27599F.jpeg.edde74a3d53d7d1549c1e47f0b3f8e06.jpeg

Lots of us are facing ice and snow right now so I couldn’t resist this one when a friend of mine posted it on FB yesterday.

9315E865-9905-4557-BDA6-345C8A53EAD7.jpeg.cfcfde3b17d61c5d29f61c3d7bfc91ce.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Rich’s Care list along with a special one for Roy & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone. Thank you Rich for doing double duty today. Prayers going out for Roy.

I’m up since 5:45 when I managed to get a vaccine appointment for DH this Sunday. ( my infectious disease MD told me to wait a few months until we see the Bells Palsy issues). The only problem is the forecast is for snow. It’s in a CVS so as long as we can get there I’m sure they won’t close. We’re going to take a dry run this AM to see what the line looks like. 

I love the quote of the day. 

Stay safe everyone and double mask.

Carol

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂  And thank you for taking care of Roy’s list so well.

Happy Chinese New Year and birthday to Abe.  No searching for lost pennies here.  They don’t exist in Canada any more 😉 

LOL on the quote.  Summer, that drink sounds yummy.

I think we’ll pass on the meal suggestion for tonight as we had mushroom lasagna (with portobello mushroom) last night.  New recipe & pretty good.  DH who is not a fungus fan really enjoyed it.

313A5834-50CF-43F7-A985-27C8930486E5.thumb.jpeg.53c6374cab2772c98e8ad5aaa274f07e.jpeg

Speaking of DH, I caught him checking for growth with a magnifying glass over the chili seed container yesterday.  I told him it was too soon and he gleefully pointed to one coming up.  A Serrano, though - @bennybear not one of last years - it’s too soon for them if they do sprout.  I’ll be starting another batch today and crossing my fingers.

Today Miko is being tested to see if he has learned to walk properly with someone who excites him a lot.  It will be interesting.  If he passes I won’t be breaking his treats in half 😉 

5509E3A0-EFC0-4598-A301-0A7C4A27599F.jpeg.edde74a3d53d7d1549c1e47f0b3f8e06.jpeg

Lots of us are facing ice and snow right now so I couldn’t resist this one when a friend of mine posted it on FB yesterday.

9315E865-9905-4557-BDA6-345C8A53EAD7.jpeg.cfcfde3b17d61c5d29f61c3d7bfc91ce.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Rich’s Care list along with a special one for Roy & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Rich might start us with a daily smile, but you usually manage to elicit a chuckle. Thanks!

George

• Like 13

Good morning, everyone.

Thanks, Rich, for stepping up to the plate and keeping Roy's lists going.  I think I can be taken off the Cheers list now.  

Nothing big planned here today.  My sister is coming in on Sunday, so I'll be dusting and vacuuming a bit.  I also have to hit the grocery store.  

Today's dinner sounds yummy and easy.   There are some great suggestions on how to enhance the recipe a bit in the comments.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ravioli-lasagna/

4-Ingredient-Ravioli-Lasagna-5.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  And thanks for stepping in to fill Roy's shoes as well.  Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln, Happy Lunar New Year, and it's pretty rare to find a penny anywhere in Canada these days.

It appears we have a warming trend on the way, as this morning it's only -35C, with the temps increasing by as much as 15 degrees by Wednesday.  Yay!  It's tough living where the air hurts your face.  Speaking of hurts, my body looks like I was somebody's punching bag.   I mentioned that I bruise easily, well, this time it ain't pretty.  It's a good thing I have some extra padding, otherwise I would likely have broken something during my flying leap.  LOL  I think I can be taken off the care list; thank you for placing me on it.

Today I have to go to pick out new eyeglasses; the appointment was made a couple of weeks ago, so I don't want to miss it even though it's still ugly cold out there.   While we're out and because it's Friday, I think we'll pick up a pizza for dinner tonight.  And wine.   Speaking of wine, DH did make sure I had an adequate supply yesterday, bless him.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra ones for Roy and his brother for both of their recoveries.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Be well, stay safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily & lists, Rich! Hoping Roy will soon rejoin us. How appropriate that lost penny day occur on Lincoln’s birthday! Happy New Year everyone!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Jacqui, glad to see the “Sanders” are out! Summer that drink is gorgeous & the cranberry juice should keep it from being too sweet!
@mamaofami, Carol, congrats on snagging an appointment for your DH!

@ger_77, glad to read that your DH took care of your wine supply.

Today’s weather doesn’t look great. Shame on me for postponing cleaning the patio furniture cushions until today. No clue what supper will be tonight. Though there will be wine!

Prayers for all who need our support - hope you can hear this, Roy!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Cab has excellent ratings, and many online distributors. Even one from Canada! US prices start at $16.99; you might even find it for less. And the Canadian distributor is offering for under $14! @superoma, thank you for sharing your personal experience with this wine. I appreciate it!
Winemaker Notes

The 2016 Trapiche Medalla Cabernet Sauvignon displays notes of plum jam, green pepper, raisins, tobacco and a delicate touch of oak. Well rounded and balanced structure in the mouth with soft, ripe tannins.
JS91 James Suckling: Dark currants and walnuts with hints of hazelnuts and fresh herbs. Medium body, firm and silky tannins and a flavorful finish. Needs a year or two more to soften. Try in 2021.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22

59 minutes ago, dfish said:

Today's dinner sounds yummy and easy.   There are some great suggestions on how to enhance the recipe a bit in the comments.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ravioli-lasagna/

Thanks @richwmn and @dfish Yummy & easy & always have ingredients on hand. What more could I ask for? If not tonight, then tomorrow.

• Like 6

I forgot to mention earlier that I really enjoy Trapiche Cabernet Sauvignon, one of my favourites.  Unfortunately it doesn't yet come in Cardboardeaux, so I have to actually dig out the corkscrew once in a while to enjoy a bottle.  A hardship, I know, but I'm willing to take one for the team.  

@cat shepardlove the mask; I'll keep an eye out for one next time I'm shopping.

Image result for Lunar new year 2021 images

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

I forgot to mention earlier that I really enjoy Trapiche Cabernet Sauvignon, one of my favourites.  Unfortunately it doesn't yet come in Cardboardeaux, so I have to actually dig out the corkscrew once in a while to enjoy a bottle.  A hardship, I know, but I'm willing to take one for the team.  

@cat shepardlove the mask; I'll keep an eye out for one next time I'm shopping.

Image result for Lunar new year 2021 images

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. Love to see another Dailyite’s recommendation for this wine!

• Like 6

Funny thing about pennies. I have no Canadian pennies since ours have been gone since 2012 but I have lots of American pennies with mr Lincoln on them. They just accumulate when we are in Florida! I usually roll them an try to leave them there but am not always successful!

• Like 12

Thanks for updating.  We appreciate it.  Comfort to those who are suffering, a hearty handshake to those who have triumphed.    Happy Birthday, Mr. President!   And most of all Thank you, Canada for sending such lovely weather our way!!!  A blizzard warning in Texas - who would have thought???

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VintageGeo said:

Wow. I remember taking the ferry over to Ocracoke. Our family used to vacation on Hatteras every summer. That was back 50 years ago. My first time on the ocean. There weren't many people to trip over back then. Thanks for the memories.

George

It’s still there, probably a little busier then you remember.  We find it a very relaxing place.  So much so that we recently purchased a home there.  If this cruising thing doesn’t work out we can go there instead 😎😃.

• Like 8