Crystal ball needed for European Cruise start dates

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

But waiting closer to sail date for the possibility of Lift and Shift means there might be less choice of cabins in 2022.  That's why I was thinking of trying to get FCC now on my Sept. 2021 Mediterranean cruise and re-apply that to a deposit on a Med sailing for next year.

Exactly!!! That's the current conundrum!

• Like 1

Delta Airlines called me about my Flight to Rome on June 1st. New covid testing protocols  Get tested within 3 days before flight, get a rapid test at the airport and another when arriving in Italy.  I don't see my June Odyssey cruise happening. We've already decided to go next May and right now I can do the 9 night Greek Isles for the same price I paid for the 7 night this year

Edited by Jax129
  • Like 2

we have a 7 night med cruise with Harmony OTS in october. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we'll get a pretty good idea whether it'll happen or not in May if they actually move the ship across to Europe.

The latest official info from Spain is that they intend to open up for tourism this summer. But as we know that can change... 

Now, Carnival has already cancelled their only (?) ship in the mediterranean for the entire '21 season. I believe I read somewhere it's because the majority of the passengers coming from the USA, and at this point there's simply too much uncertainty whether they'll be able to show up for their cruise in Europe.... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tsundet said:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we'll get a pretty good idea whether it'll happen or not in May if they actually move the ship across to Europe.
[...]
I believe I read somewhere it's because the majority of the passengers coming from the USA, and at this point there's simply too much uncertainty whether they'll be able to show up for their cruise in Europe.... 

I don't think the fact of Harmony being moved across to Europe can be used as an indicator of her Med season going ahead because she has to come over to Europe this year anyway for her five-year dry dock. 

As far as passenger origin is concerned, the Oasis class ships always attract a large number of bookings from European cruisers so I think the European cohort on Harmony would be substantial enough to compensate for there not being many (or any) Americans on board, especially since ships are likely to be sailing at reduced capacity.

A better indicator for you would be to see whether or not actual cruises are happening in June and July, just prior to your final payment date. 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I don't think the fact of Harmony being moved across to Europe can be used as an indicator of her Med season going ahead because she has to come over to Europe this year anyway for her five-year dry dock. 

As far as passenger origin is concerned, the Oasis class ships always attract a large number of bookings from European cruisers so I think the European cohort on Harmony would be substantial enough to compensate for there not being many (or any) Americans on board, especially since ships are likely to be sailing at reduced capacity.

A better indicator for you would be to see whether or not actual cruises are happening in June and July, just prior to your final payment date. 

ah. Didn't know about the drydock. But feeling more optimistic regarding the european cohort. It'll surely be the largest cohort I've been part of since march last year! 🙂

Crossing fingers! A lot can happen before october.

20 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

But waiting closer to sail date for the possibility of Lift and Shift means there might be less choice of cabins in 2022.  That's why I was thinking of trying to get FCC now on my Sept. 2021 Mediterranean cruise and re-apply that to a deposit on a Med sailing for next year.

Took your advice, cancelled the July cruise. Moved it to end of August 2022, and saved several hundred dollars on my aft JS!!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

It allows you to move your cruise to next year price protecteted. 

Current terms have been plus/minus one week of original sail date and same ship although if one ship is replacing another the following year I am confident that would be allowed. 

This is not 100% accurate, you didnt have to stick to the same ship, just a similar itinerary and length - it could be a different ship 🙂

Edited by Jeannie333333
type omitted 'not' from my reply

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Took your advice, cancelled the July cruise. Moved it to end of August 2022, and saved several hundred dollars on my aft JS!!

So your switch wasn't price protected with a L&S..........you just happened to get lucky and your JS now for 2022 was less money then what you had booked for 2021...............Is that correct?

27 minutes ago, Jeannie333333 said:

This is not 100% accurate, you didnt have to stick to the same ship, just a similar itinerary and length - it could be a different ship 🙂

What I posted was correct. With the modified lift and shifts that they have offered for the cancelled sailing or soon to be cancelled ie Quantum and other Alaska sailings Royal has specified the ship and it has been the same ship (at least for Alaska) and as I mentioned if the itinerary was replaced by another ship I am sure they would offer a different ship..

With this latest round of lift and shifts you do not get to choose the ship...Royal does

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

So your switch wasn't price protected with a L&S..........you just happened to get lucky and your JS now for 2022 was less money then what you had booked for 2021...............Is that correct?

That's correct. We also booked the least expensive week, which was outside the L&S four week window. Also there was really good cabin selection, so there was no reason to keep our (highly doubtful) July '21 booking.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, TheHawk1 said:

This is a good question.  I booked a Next Cruise in Feb. 2020 for a Mediterranean cruise on Harmony in September 2021.  No one knows yet if it will sail, but even if it does, I doubt Europe will be allowing North Americans to fly over there and board cruises.  Was thinking of trying to get a FCC and re-book for same Mediterranean itinerary in September, 2022 on Allure.  Any suggestions?

We were booked on the Harmony in September 2021 and we did exactly what you mentioned.  As soon as the 2022 Europe cruises were listed we changed to September 2022 on the Allure.  We figured we might be able to cruise (although that is looking less likely) but we wanted to be able to get off the ship and see things. 

On 2/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, MommaBear55 said:

Anyone have insider knowledge of when they think European sailings will resume? And when they might accept Americans in Europe again? If you have no insider knowledge, please feel free to post any answer as I'm easily amused

I do not believe any worldwide cruises until next summer. 

• Like 2