Jump to content

Hot Dogs


 Share

Recommended Posts

I have no idea what Princess uses.  This sandwich option at HAL's Dive-in, regardless of the brand, is always good.  

 

OP, you must enjoy a good hot dog every once in awhile.  I do as well.  

 

A comfort food for me is a casserole of Baked Beans and a few hot dogs cooked together.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Harry and Lucille said:

What brand of hot dogs does Princess use at the grill?

That’s a tough question.  There are hundreds of different hot dog manufacturers.  Only corporate headquarters would know that one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Nothing better than a good red hot.   

 

 


The proverbial “Tube Steak” is certainly a universal treat.  The arguments about the proper preparation rage on.  The question here would be...which line serves the best hot dog??  And how do they prepare it???  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The arguments about the proper preparation rage on.  The question here would be...which line serves the best hot dog??  And how do they prepare it???  

 

And what are the proper condiments for the hot dog?  Oh, and don't forget the bun:  toasted? warmed? straight out of the bun package?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

And what are the proper condiments for the hot dog?  Oh, and don't forget the bun:  toasted? warmed? straight out of the bun package?  

For me... ketchup, green relish and mustard.  As for the bun, anything but steamed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

For me... ketchup, green relish and mustard.  As for the bun, anything but steamed!

 

I prefer mustard and some pickle relish on my dog.  No ketchup or onions or chili sauce or shredded cheese.  A warm bun is always nice to have, but, what I prepare for myself is just the bun out of the package.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I prefer mustard and some pickle relish on my dog.  No ketchup or onions or chili sauce or shredded cheese.  A warm bun is always nice to have, but, what I prepare for myself is just the bun out of the package.  

In reserve stuff like onions, shredded cheese, hot peppers and sliced olives for certain sausages (not hot dogs) on a bun; an entirely different quisine!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The question here would be...which line serves the best hot dog??  And how do they prepare it???  

 

I nominate Holland America Line's Dive-In for the best hot dog.  The preparation of the dog itself seems pretty ordinary from what I recall seeing.  No fancy method of cooking (warming?) it.  They have a variety of "dogs" with different names due to different condiments.  All that I have tried are good, but, in comparison to my preferred mustard/pickle relish adorned dog, the Dive-In's dogs are more upscale than what I think they need to be.  My plebeian dog can still be obtained, however.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

 

In reserve stuff like onions, shredded cheese, hot peppers and sliced olives for certain sausages (not hot dogs) on a bun; an entirely different quisine!

 

Oh, yes!  Some sausages are a wholly different cuisine than a hot dog.  Give me an Italian Sausage Sandwich dripping with sauce of onions, tomatoes, etc. on a warm bun!  Delicious!  Probably in your Provence, you have festivals/fairs/outdoor events that attract food vendors.  One of my delights when I attend something like that in Ohio is to find a vendor serving Italian Sausage Sandwiches.  I can't resist and 99% of the time, I return home with the front of my shirt showing the effects of the sauce on the sandwich.  

 

You mentioned sliced olives.  I love olives.  Never thought about adding that to either a hot dog or a sausage sandwich.  Adding olives to a dog that has pickle relish might be an interesting taste combination:  one salty, the other sweet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was a child the best hot dog was Howard Johnson’s.  It was a mild dog grilled with a bun that was grilled in butter.  I have to admit that I’m a traditionalist...mustard, relish and minced onion...never ketchup.  This is the way they were done in the area where I grew up.  I could never get used to a steamed hotdog with a steamed bun.  All that being said...a good chili dog or a dog with sauerkraut is always allowed.  
 

Now...what ship or line would serve me such a dog??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

When I was a child the best hot dog was Howard Johnson’s.  It was a mild dog grilled with a bun that was grilled in butter.  I have to admit that I’m a traditionalist...mustard, relish and minced onion...never ketchup.  This is the way they were done in the area where I grew up.  I could never get used to a steamed hotdog with a steamed bun.  All that being said...a good chili dog or a dog with sauerkraut is always allowed.  
 

Now...what ship or line would serve me such a dog??

I think you’d be hard pressed to find any ship that would grill a bun in butter.  Oh yes, I forgot the kraut but that’s still for sausages, not dogs, for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Oh, yes!  Some sausages are a wholly different cuisine than a hot dog.  Give me an Italian Sausage Sandwich dripping with sauce of onions, tomatoes, etc. on a warm bun!  Delicious!  Probably in your Provence, you have festivals/fairs/outdoor events that attract food vendors.  One of my delights when I attend something like that in Ohio is to find a vendor serving Italian Sausage Sandwiches.  I can't resist and 99% of the time, I return home with the front of my shirt showing the effects of the sauce on the sandwich.  

 

You mentioned sliced olives.  I love olives.  Never thought about adding that to either a hot dog or a sausage sandwich.  Adding olives to a dog that has pickle relish might be an interesting taste combination:  one salty, the other sweet.  


Now an Italian sausage sandwich...that’s a whole other matter.  If you’ve ever been to Boston and Fenway Park you’ll know what I’m talking about.  The Boston area is chock full of Italian sausage joints.  You need to have a fennel sausage grilled with onions and peppers on a sub roll..maybe with mustard.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think you’d be hard pressed to find any ship that would grill a bun in butter.  Oh yes, I forgot the kraut but that’s still for sausages, not dogs, for me.


Believe it or not...the good folks who man the cafe on the pool deck of the MSC Yacht Club will grill a dog and a bun in butter upon request.  In fact...there isn’t much they won’t do for you upon request!  I even had them cook my bacon and eggs in the same pan and cook my toast in a fry pan with butter!  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 5:13 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

When I was a child the best hot dog was Howard Johnson’s.  It was a mild dog grilled with a bun that was grilled in butter.

 

I had forgotten that.  The best?  Well, my memory isn't that good.  But, Howard Johnson's did have some "good stuff".  

 

When the brand morphed into motels:  well, that's another story that isn't so positive in my memory.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I had forgotten that.  The best?  Well, my memory isn't that good.  But, Howard Johnson's did have some "good stuff".  

 

When the brand morphed into motels:  well, that's another story that isn't so positive in my memory.  


Most people do not realize just how good Howard Johnson’s used to be.  At one point HoJo had Jacques Pepin and Pierre Franey, two of the greatest French chefs working in America, running their commissary in New York City.  Howard Johnson, himself, hired them out of La Pavillon in NY.  Jacques Pepin often jokes that he learned to cook in America at the Howard Johnson’s at Concord Ave. in Cambridge, Mass. which was true!  HoJo was top quality.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:


Most people do not realize just how good Howard Johnson’s used to be.  At one point HoJo had Jacques Pepin and Pierre Franey, two of the greatest French chefs working in America, running their commissary in New York City.  Howard Johnson, himself, hired them out of La Pavillon in NY.  Jacques Pepin often jokes that he learned to cook in America at the Howard Johnson’s at Concord Ave. in Cambridge, Mass. which was true!  HoJo was top quality.  

 

I continue to learn.  I never knew those connections.

 

At one point in the company's history, it branched into the frozen foods market and produced two of the early toaster items:  Corn Muffins and Blueberry Muffins.  Both were very good and easy and quick to fix in the morning.  My local groceries stopped offering them, yet they were still available in the freezer in the lobby of my local Howard Johnson's.  Then, they became hard to find; finally no longer available there.  Soon after that, my Howard Johnson's closed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

I prefer mustard and some pickle relish on my dog.  No ketchup or onions or chili sauce or shredded cheese.  A warm bun is always nice to have, but, what I prepare for myself is just the bun out of the package.  


I really want to see one of the cruise lines serve a hotdog with the famous Greek sauce.  This is another way I love a good hotdog...mustard, relish, onion and Greek sauce...yummm.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Need to further my education:  what's the famous Greek Sauce?  


Greek sauce is a sauce made with Hamburg, Greek spices beef stock and tomato paste.  It is simmered for hours and then put on the hotdog like chili.  It really is good!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:


Greek sauce is a sauce made with Hamburg, Greek spices beef stock and tomato paste.  It is simmered for hours and then put on the hotdog like chili.  It really is good!

 

Thank you.  As I indicated, I never heard of that Sauce before.  I think I might like that better than chili.  

 

The sauce that is used for Italian Sausage Sandwiches is really my favorite type sauce for a hot dog type item.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Thank you.  As I indicated, I never heard of that Sauce before.  I think I might like that better than chili.  

 

The sauce that is used for Italian Sausage Sandwiches is really my favorite type sauce for a hot dog type item.  


You probably would like Greek sauce.  Chili is another matter.  Most chili on hotdogs is sub par.  A good chili is very rare.  It is NOT made with hamburg.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...