May 2021 cruises

shelby2002

Just now, Ballwin Babe said:

It IS a big deal when one has an international, 12-day cruise scheduled for May 9, having paid the full amount due, and waiting for clarity on the issue.  All indicators are that the Odyssey with NOT be sailing on May 9, yet we know nothing.

Yes it is a big deal for you.  It is not a big deal for investors and the earnings call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ballwin Babe said:

But cash burn is a big deal.  It devalues the stock, short term and puts companies out of business long term.  $240 million per month is significant, even for a massive company like Royal Caribbean. 

Obviously you are expecting some sort of miracle announcement tomorrow...sorry that's not going to happen. 

Like I said, they have been dealing with estimates right from the beginning and every single one of them has been wrong yet the stock is still trading above where it should be.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

I am not expecting a miracle announcement.  In fact, I don't even WANT to go on May 9.  What I want is a definitive cancellation so that I can get my complete payment refunded in full.

I think it's going to be another 2 to 3 weeks before you hear anything

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Don't you just love the "cruise merry-go-round"?????

Our next "hope-to-cruise" will be on Allure 8/15 & 22...............I know - good luck with that!!!! Our B3B on Brilliance out of Boston in September looks to be a washout - RCCL hasn't cancelled them YET, so it is a "wait and see". We did a L&S on our Serenade Alaska B2B for this June to 2022 - almost the exact same dates and have our same cabin (maybe some good news)!!!!!!

Congrats on the L&S!  

Love it..."cruise merry-go-round".  You sure nailed that one!!  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ballwin Babe said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but why have other cruise lines (ie Princess and NCL) made an announcement about extending their date, beyond May 1, to resume cruising (with the same uncertain regulatory environment)?  Granted, their dates may or may not pan out, but they haven't left their investors with the notion that they intend to resume cruising on May 1, 2021.  

For the last year, RCI has been one of the last ones to finally cancel doomed cruises.  This is nothing new.  They are also a company that gets to hang onto those "short term, no interest loans" for a bit longer.  

Frustrating for the passengers?  You betcha!  Does it upset me that they drag out my booked cruises to cancel AFTER final payment?  Absolutely.    (28 cruises cancelled for me to date).  Smart financial move for RCI...yup.  Fair?  Not in the least, but what is?  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

I am not expecting a miracle announcement.  In fact, I don't even WANT to go on May 9.  What I want is a definitive cancellation so that I can get my complete payment refunded in full.

You will get that in the coming weeks...it just in all likelihood won't be tied to the earnings call

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I think it's going to be another 2 to 3 weeks before you hear anything

When RCI announces its next round of cancellations,  I wonder how far out they'll cancel? We know they won't sail in May, but will they dip into the lucrative summer month of June?

2 hours ago, Ballwin Babe said:

It IS a big deal when one has an international, 12-day cruise scheduled for May 9, having paid the full amount due, and waiting for clarity on the issue.  All indicators are that the Odyssey with NOT be sailing on May 9, yet we know nothing.

Isn’t Odyssey still under construction in Germany?

28 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

It is in the process of conveyance (down the river to the ocean) for sailing.

As of the 15th, it was still tied up at the building dock. Once they can get it down the Ems river, it still needs to go through its sea trials before RCL can take possession. That is doubtful before May. Even if RCL takes possession, they still need to get clearance to sail anywhere with passengers.

I thought Royal has pushed back final payment to 45 days prior to sailing??  I have a May sailing where original final payment was due 2-28-21 and I planned to wait a bit longer prior to cancelling.  Some of my shore excursions have a cancel penalty unless the ship cancels the trip so I didn't want to cancel before Royal does.  Am I correct?

38 minutes ago, orville99 said:

As of the 15th, it was still tied up at the building dock. Once they can get it down the Ems river, it still needs to go through its sea trials before RCL can take possession. That is doubtful before May. Even if RCL takes possession, they still need to get clearance to sail anywhere with passengers.

Her conveyance is scheduled for the end of February.  Sea trials are a matter of weeks.  There is no reason to doubt that she would be able to sail her Maiden voyage even if it was May 9

25 minutes ago, Bucket29 said:

I thought Royal has pushed back final payment to 45 days prior to sailing??  I have a May sailing where original final payment was due 2-28-21 and I planned to wait a bit longer prior to cancelling.  Some of my shore excursions have a cancel penalty unless the ship cancels the trip so I didn't want to cancel before Royal does.  Am I correct?

So far, only 2021 [non] sailings with Canadian ports.

"In the meantime, the final payment due date will be pushed to 45 days prior to sailing for those sail dates that reach Final Payment while we are exploring options and ironing out our path forward."

29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Her conveyance is scheduled for the end of February.  Sea trials are a matter of weeks.  There is no reason to doubt that she would be able to sail her Maiden voyage even if it was May 9

If she does sail, she will be sailing from her home port in Italy, and AFAIK, Italy is still only allowing Italian citizens to sail from her ports. If that weren't problematic enough, the international air travel prohibitions don't show any signs of easing with Europe still way behind the vaccination curve.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If she does sail, she will be sailing from her home port in Italy, and AFAIK, Italy is still only allowing Italian citizens to sail from her ports. If that weren't problematic enough, the international air travel prohibitions don't show any signs of easing with Europe still way behind the vaccination curve.

Not disagreeing any of that.  Was simply pointing out that if she doesn’t sail it won’t be because of construction or handoffs to Royal  as you suggested. 

12 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Don't you just love the "cruise merry-go-round"?????

Our next "hope-to-cruise" will be on Allure 8/15 & 22...............I know - good luck with that!!!! Our B3B on Brilliance out of Boston in September looks to be a washout - RCCL hasn't cancelled them YET, so it is a "wait and see". We did a L&S on our Serenade Alaska B2B for this June to 2022 - almost the exact same dates and have our same cabin (maybe some good news)!!!!!!

I'm booked on Allure on 8/15 as well, but I'm not holding my breath.  I've have 2 cruises cancelled so far & I'm "sure" my March 2022 will be a go unless RCCL is out of business by then.

6 hours ago, waterfever said:

I'm booked on Allure on 8/15 as well, but I'm not holding my breath.  I've have 2 cruises cancelled so far & I'm "sure" my March 2022 will be a go unless RCCL is out of business by then.

I have lost count on the number of cruises that have been cancelled - I think that it is 13 and 5 more "pending" (2 to Alaska and 3 to Canada & New England). I feel "fair" about August sailings..............

3 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I have lost count on the number of cruises that have been cancelled - I think that it is 13 and 5 more "pending" (2 to Alaska and 3 to Canada & New England). I feel "fair" about August sailings..............

You should be able to Lift & Shift your Alaska and (possibly) Canada cruises.

2 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

You should be able to Lift & Shift your Alaska and (possibly) Canada cruises.

I am working on the Alaska L&S (have cabins on hold) and doing the "wait and see" on the Jewels out of Boston. I also have a hold on cabins on the Voyager in hopes of a L&S. Fingers crossed that we hear soon about Jewel. The Jewel cruises were originally Brilliance which included a TA and 3 after. Our cruise spreadsheet looks like a nightmare!!!!!

Hello,

I just can't think on an appropriate (and printable!) word to convey how I feel about a number of things re May (ex Southampton) sailings.

I grind my teeth seemingly at least every week when I get an email from RCI inviting me to buy drinks packages, excursions etc for my next cruise (that will never sail). I never get any other emails form them. OK, these emails are probably automatic and not issued manually, but they do **** me off and show a lack of common sense by RCI.

Anyone thinking of booking a May sailing needs to be certified - with one exception.

That exception is anyone with the cash that is prepared to pay the cost in full in anticipation of getting an FCC at cruise cost plus 25% - there aren't many places where one can get a 25% return - legally.

If L&S is not available, I would need the extra 25% on 2021 to cover the inflated cost of 2022 - nearly. Here are my current figures:

Three May 2021 cruises cost me £3.1k, the identical three cruises in 2022 would cost me (as of Sunday just gone) £4.5k and three FCCs would come to £3.9k.

Perhaps it's time for RCI to reconsider the percentage uplift on FCCs.

Regards,

Cublet