Self service laundry

silversurf

42 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

You can tell those who never use the laundry,,they are the ones walking around wearing shirts that look like they have just come out from the charity collection bag.

It takes a few  minutes  to iron a shirt in the launderette,on holiday or not there is no excuse for scruffiness.

Give me a wave next time you see me !

• Haha 5

I'm obviously in the minority here as I have regularly used the P&O laundries. I tend to take a week's supply of socks and underwear and then do a wash mid-cruise. I tend to do 18/19 night cruises with perhaps 5 formal nights but usually only take 2 dress shirts, so they need laundering and ironing. Also, some day shirts I might wear twice so will launder those too.

The one thing I really hate about the laundries is constantly getting that hackneyed phrase trotted out by many female pax - "Oh look - a man doing his own ironing"...😤😡

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'm obviously in the minority here as I have regularly used the P&O laundries. I tend to take a week's supply of socks and underwear and then do a wash mid-cruise. I tend to do 18/19 night cruises with perhaps 5 formal nights but usually only take 2 dress shirts, so they need laundering and ironing. Also, some day shirts I might wear twice so will launder those too.

The one thing I really hate about the laundries is constantly getting that hackneyed phrase trotted out by many female pax - "Oh look - a man doing his own ironing"...😤😡

I let Mrs YP do the ironing normally a she is sooooo much better at it, especially with the new iron I got her for her birthday. However I do iron my own when onboard.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

How do you dry your dress shirts? Don't they shrink in the tumble dryer ?

We (as in the Royal We) use the launderettes as well.  Similar to Britboys a mid cruise wash and iron, and I, I mean we, try to get another wash in at the end as well, but don't iron that stuff till we get home.  

I have a silent chuckle if any ladies remark about a chap doing the ironing, which as you say they do!  Mind you, I've also seen a husband standing there watching his wife doing their ironing.  Maybe he was her bodyguard 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

How do you dry your dress shirts? Don't they shrink in the tumble dryer ?

Yes, in the dryer. They don't shrink in them but they do seem to shrink from the air-con or salt air though...😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

You can tell those who never use the laundry,,they are the ones walking around wearing shirts that look like they have just come out from the charity collection bag.

It takes a few  minutes  to iron a shirt in the launderette,on holiday or not there is no excuse for scruffiness.

It is not scruffiness it is casual style, I have not used an iron for years. Of course my shirts dry ceaseless, not that I care

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Not that I know much about ironing but Lenor do an anti wrinkle spray that some people use. 

I wonder if it's any good on your clothes and what effect it would have if sprayed on your body :classic_unsure:

It's good, but not that good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I let Mrs YP do the ironing normally a she is sooooo much better at it, especially with the new iron I got her for her birthday. However I do iron my own when onboard.

That's a bit extravagant for just a birthday. I got DW a new ironing board cover for our anniversary, but it was only 46 years.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Never had anything shrink in many years of using ships launderettes.

I said ' Darling can you please shrink my new polo shirt ' ? Sorry can't do that. .....but you did with my dress shirts🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:19 PM, silversurf said:

A minor issue in the current climate, but we wondered if these would still be available given the strict COVID protocols.

I should have thought that people load the machines turn them on and leave returning an hour later or whatever thus not really meeting anyone.  I can't imagine ladies paying £100/£200 a day for the holiday would sit in the laundry guarding their old man's pants.

Regards John

On 11/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, yorkshirephil said:

You are obviously related to my cousin's husband, he took her out for her birthday to B&Q.

• Haha 3

On 11/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, Britboys said:

"Oh look - a man doing his own ironing"...😤😡

You won't hear those words from me Andrew. Frank insists on pressing his own trousers. When I do it he ends up with wonky legs and a wrinkled bum.🙄

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, john watson said:

I should have thought that people load the machines turn them on and leave returning an hour later or whatever thus not really meeting anyone.  I can't imagine ladies paying £100/£200 a day for the holiday would sit in the laundry guarding their old man's pants.

Regards John

Some do, I have seen a few ladies doing knitting while waiting for their washing to finish.

I rarely iron at home, but it has become part of our cruise routine.

Somewhere between afternoon tea and pre dinner drinks, I pop down to the launderette to run the iron over our clothes for that evening while Michelle has a snooze. 

Hardly ever see more than one other person in there, always a pleasant experience. 

Andy

Both used to living on our own... now we are not we had to chat about a lot of things and one was "the washing".  We agreed to do our own laundry including ironing.  I never touch his and visa versa. 

We share most chores, although he's got the short straw at present.. me being off my feet for a while!!!😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I rarely iron at home, but it has become part of our cruise routine.

Somewhere between afternoon tea and pre dinner drinks, I pop down to the launderette to run the iron over our clothes for that evening while Michelle has a snooze. 

Hardly ever see more than one other person in there, always a pleasant experience. 

Andy

Andy,

Have you ever wondered why you hardly ever see more than one other person in there?

I just look for offers from the on ship laundry and let them do difficult things that require acquaintance with an iron and take the easy stuff home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Andy,

Have you ever wondered why you hardly ever see more than one other person in there?

I just look for offers from the on ship laundry and let them do difficult things that require acquaintance with an iron and take the easy stuff home.

I have had dining companions take the micky because I iron while on holiday. 

I am sitting in a crisply ironed shirt, getting admiring looks at my 'sleeve crease' while they look like a bag of spanners...😂😂

Andy 

• Like 4