The Daily for Monday Feb 22, 2021

richwmn

today is George Washington's Birthday, Be Humble Day, and International World Thinking Day

Meal suggestion for today - Sweet Potato and Turkey Couscous

Jone's Law:
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

Drink of the Day - Old Cuban

Wine of the day - Santa Rita 2017 Medalla Real Gold Medal Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (Maipo Valley) Chile

at Sea English Channel
Oosterdam destination Brest FR eta 2/23

at Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination La Paz MX eta 2/24

Freeport Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

San Diego Anchorage
Westerdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Volendam
Zaandam

0222World.thumb.png.6f58fd833447d28204dc5559016219fd.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich, and Happy Birthday George (and @Av8rix).  A big salute to humility and world thinking.  The quote surely rings true.  I'll pass on the Couscous.  My alternative is Fruit Cup au Naturel, Flat Iron Steak with Roasted Garlic Sauce, and Carrot Cake, as served on MS Prinsendam February 22, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dishes22.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

Those facing emergencies from Texas weather

smitty34877 recovering from a fall

Christchurch

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Happy Birthday Av8rix

This community

The first class of female Eagle Scouts

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, @smitty34877 OH MY GOSH!   I hope you are doing well.  Thankfully, nothing was broken.

@rafinmd, here's hopes for a good resolution on your heart matters.  I'm hoping for the least invasive procedure for you and one that has a quick recovery time.

Well, it is 36 degrees F here and it is supposed to be above freezing all week.  I'll take it!  A couple days look good for hiking if Tom and I can mesh our schedules.  Today I have a routine doctor appointment, so that will take most of the morning.  Mainly, sitting and waiting......

I'll pass on today's meal suggestion.  Way too many carbs for me.  It would surely put me to sleep.  When I eat too many carbs, I get sluggish and sleepy.  But, others may like it.  We all have different tastes and menu requirements.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-potato-and-turkey-couscous/

Sweet-Potato-and-Turkey-Couscous_EXPS_SDON17_201945_D06_27_6b.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 Koningsdam Caribbean voyage that got me out of the northeast well before continuing with a crazy combination of Crystal  Serenity, Iguazu, Zaandam, Carnival Inspiration, and Crystal Symphony.  On February 22 we visited Amber Cove:

dawn0222.jpg

Roy

• Like 31

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy Birthday @Av8rix and of course, Happy Birthday George Washington.  Love that humility and thinking are celebrated on the same day.  

We’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks as a lasagna is planned for tonight.

LOL on the Jone’s Law.  Too much of that happens, sadly.

I’m not familiar with the drink so I’m looking forward to the description.

Sounds like another mess is headed our way.  More snow and then freezing rain?  Give me a break.  

AA9DBAA3-EC66-44F9-A0A3-40FDEEB899E5.jpeg.916dcfb8972e7ea79a63d46459f64bf0.jpeg

It’s another brutally cold day here.  Hoping it warms up for the dog walk or, even better if my dogs had this attitude (they don’t):

E01457BA-6290-4DB5-9A4B-811323D6E043.jpeg.977abeb82d3f25f25dae0f6c792e97ad.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a big toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday all.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

194EB559-D4B8-4876-BDB5-EF1D5C7F4941.thumb.jpeg.bfdc12391b5fb6a5b5db227e59c820c2.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the updates and reports.  Hope and comfort to those in need, kudos to those who have recovered and those that helped the recovery.

Now , off to work I go.   I am a computer slave, no travel required.  2 vaccine done!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

today is George Washington's Birthday, Be Humble Day, and International World Thinking Day

As a longtime member of Girl Scouts of the USA, I thank you for including World Thinking Day.

Both Lord (Robert 1857-1941) and Lady (Olave 1889-1977) Baden Powell were born on February 22. He founded the Boy Scouts and together they founded the Girl Guides in England. Juliette Gordon Low, while visiting them, decided to form a similar organization in the USA. This she did in 1912 but used the name Girl Scouts. The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts chose to honor the Baden Powells on their common birthday by thinking of fellow members around the globe. Many troops held special ceremonies on this day - I assume they still do. Sometimes it was referred to as Thinking/Thanking Day.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Birthday  @Av8rix and George Washington, too.  At our house it seems every day is International Thinking Day - with so much time to ourselves, it's interesting to see the different things there are to think about and discuss.   BTW, did you know it's also International Margarita Day?

@smitty34877I hope you and your DH are okay; falls aren't funny.  I'm still feeling the effects from my flying leap of a couple of weeks ago.  @rafinmdgood luck with your telemed appointment.

I really like today's menu suggestion and will put it on my "to make" list, but we've got leftovers from yesterday's roast beef to contend with.  Even though DH doesn't particularly care for couscous, I think he might enjoy this one jazzed up with cranberries, etc.  For tonight though, leftovers and a salad will be what's happening on our table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses (and maybe the margarita glasses as well) to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).Image result for margarita cartoon images

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning  to  everyone. Thank  you @dfisch,@Ger77  and  Roy  for your  good  wishes. My  DH  has  had  to  do  a great  deal  more  since  Saturday  as  I  am  moving  very  slowly. His  talents  do  not  spread  to  cooking  but  my  DD  and  SIL  who  are  right  next  door(2 family  home) are  delivering  me  chili  later. Dog  walking  has  been  delegated  as  well I  am  a  fortunate  woman  to  have  family  with  me . We  look  forward  to  melting  snow  and  ice  this  week!      Terry

• Like 21

Just now, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to  everyone. Thank  you @dfisch,@Ger77  and  Roy  for your  good  wishes. My  DH  has  had  to  do  a great  deal  more  since  Saturday  as  I  am  moving  very  slowly. His  talents  do  not  spread  to  cooking  but  my  DD  and  SIL  who  are  right  next  door(2 family  home) are  delivering  me  chili  later. Dog  walking  has  been  delegated  as  well I  am  a  fortunate  woman  to  have  family  with  me . We  look  forward  to  melting  snow  and  ice  this  week!      Terry

Let everyone else take care of things, Terry - please!!!  You need to heal.

So glad you have family to help 👍 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! A wonderful combo of days. Sadly the quote seems very appropriate. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. A lovely morning in the neighborhood. Yesterday’s hike was great - a bit too early for the azaleas, but boy there were a lot of buds! The only critter we met on the hike was Daisy, a very friendly yellow lab!

Today my new door gets installed. And then it just needs to be painted, when my paint guru is up doing work for my neighbor. Found out yesterday that the organizer of my Iceland trip is working with the government of Iceland to see if our small tour group might still visit at the end of June. I had assumed it would be postponed until next year, so this is one time I am happy to be wrong. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath. 

The meal sounds good, Debbie! Not sure about the drink. I will wait for Summer’s recipe. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ahhhh. The aroma of “cigar box”! This Cab from Chile has excellent ratings. And it has a great many online distributors with prices starting at

just $12.33!

Winemaker Notes

Deep ruby-red in color, with a bouquet of black and red fruit such as black currant, blueberries and cherries combined with cigar box, soft cedar and some spice notes. The concentrated palate offers well-rounded ripe tannins that create the prominent backbone that leads the wine on to a long, lingering finish.

JS91 James Suckling: This has rich, ripe cassis and blueberry aromas and flavors, in a very smooth-honed and balanced mode. Fresh, drink-now style.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

On this date 3 years ago (February 23 in New Zealand) the Crystal Symphony visited Dunedin.  Crystal has a generous visitor policy and I met @erewhon and DW outside the terminal for a tour of the ship.  We enjoyed lunch at the Trident Grill (Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In) and I think all of us went with my usual, Grilled Ham and Cheese and fries, followed by ice cream from nearby Scoops.

lunch0223.jpg

After lunch we left for a tour of Dunedin.  One of the highlights was the train station, a beautiful building with a very impressive waiting/ticket hall:

trainhall.jpg

There were ladies in period costumes outside:

period.jpg

and the exterior and grounds were as impressive as the interior:

dunedinstation.jpg

We continued to a pretty comprehensive tour of the city and then a couple of great overlooks:

overlook1.jpg

overlook2.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Rich and Roy.  Happy Monday to the Dailyites...

Birthday greetings to @Av8rix

Good morning from coastal Carolina.  Will check back tonight as I'm off to yet another clinic.  Here's hoping we don't run out of doses.  It is heartbreaking to have people "drop in" to see if we can give them a dose only to have to insist that they go through the Health Department for an appointment.  

Wear your mask...

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, @smitty34877 OH MY GOSH!   I hope you are doing well.  Thankfully, nothing was broken.

@rafinmd, here's hopes for a good resolution on your heart matters.  I'm hoping for the least invasive procedure for you and one that has a quick recovery time.

Well, it is 36 degrees F here and it is supposed to be above freezing all week.  I'll take it!  A couple days look good for hiking if Tom and I can mesh our schedules.  Today I have a routine doctor appointment, so that will take most of the morning.  Mainly, sitting and waiting......

I'll pass on today's meal suggestion.  Way too many carbs for me.  It would surely put me to sleep.  When I eat too many carbs, I get sluggish and sleepy.  But, others may like it.  We all have different tastes and menu requirements.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-potato-and-turkey-couscous/

Sweet-Potato-and-Turkey-Couscous_EXPS_SDON17_201945_D06_27_6b.jpg

I don’t like couscous si I would substitute quinoa in this recipe. Not sure how that changes the carbs, though and I am too lazy to go look at my package of quinoa

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

On this date 3 years ago (February 23 in New Zealand) the Crystal Symphony visited Dunedin.  Crystal has a generous visitor policy and I met @erewhon and DW outside the terminal for a tour of the ship.  We enjoyed lunch at the Trident Grill (Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In) and I think all of us went with my usual, Grilled Ham and Cheese and fries, followed by ice cream from nearby Scoops.

lunch0223.jpg

After lunch we left for a tour of Dunedin.  One of the highlights was the train station, a beautiful building with a very impressive waiting/ticket hall:

trainhall.jpg

There were ladies in period costumes outside:

period.jpg

and the exterior and grounds were as impressive as the interior:

dunedinstation.jpg

We continued to a pretty comprehensive tour of the city and then a couple of great overlooks:

overlook1.jpg

overlook2.jpg

Roy

Thank you for sharing, Roy! How cool to see a pic of you & @erewhon!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Happy Birthday George and @Av8rix.  I think most of us are thinking about the world today.  The meal sounds good, I like anything with sweet potato's.  We will be having leftovers from the Chicken and Dumplings from yesterday.  Roy's sounds good too, as we love Carrot Cake.  Interesting quote.

Prayers and virtual hugs to everyone of us and toasts to our shout out list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Old Cuban:

Ingredients. 6 whole mint leaves. 1 ounce simple syrup. 3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed. 1 1/2 ounces aged rum. 2 dashes Angostura bitters. 2 ounces Champagne. Garnish: mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.49.12 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Morning all!  Today's quote is quite appropriate.  Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor your Daily contributions.  Roy, good luck with your doctor appointment today.  Happy Birthday wishes to @Av8rix, George Washington and @DeeniEncinitas's DH David.

Looks like we will be heading down to Clearwater Beach, FL on Thursday to handle the closing up of the condo DS leased this winter since he is awaiting testifying in Waco at a trial.  Will explain more later this week.  We can lounge around until Monday morning if we want to since his lease ends then.  Weather looks good so we might just do that.

Tomorrow is 14 days since we got our second vaccination so we will be officially "fully vaccinated".  Hoping our family members in other states get theirs soon too.  Missouri has been very slow.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Happy Birthday George and @Av8rix.  I think most of us are thinking about the world today.  The meal sounds good, I like anything with sweet potato's.  We will be having leftovers from the Chicken and Dumplings from yesterday.  Roy's sounds good too, as we love Carrot Cake.  Interesting quote.

Prayers and virtual hugs to everyone of us and toasts to our shout out list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Old Cuban:

Ingredients. 6 whole mint leaves. 1 ounce simple syrup. 3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed. 1 1/2 ounces aged rum. 2 dashes Angostura bitters. 2 ounces Champagne. Garnish: mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.49.12 AM.png

WOW!  Rum and chapaign in the same drink!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2