Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

They aren’t confirming what was said, they are stating how they read it.

again, the government said May 17th is the earliest date international travel can possibly resume. So I was right.

you said the date was June which was incorrect. 

I agree with your understanding of what was said.

Did you hear it during his house of commons statement? I don't think he gave as much detail during the press conference, which is maybe why people are getting confused if they only saw that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I did notice that cruising was not specifically mentioned, only UK hotels, which was a concern for me.

Avril

I was surprised at how many people were expecting to hear something about cruising in the roadmap. I would have been staggered if they had mentioned it, as they won’t have a clue yet. Just as Boris talked about 5 week gaps between each step to assess impact, I suspect that they will want to see what happens in both large hotels and other forms of international travel before they allow the resumption of overseas cruises. It will be interesting to see if the cruise lines lobby the government to allow around UK cruises once hotels are allowed to open (17th May), but the problem will be that not all UK adults will be vaccinated by then so they could have an outbreak which would be a disaster for them. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think the only problem with that is whether the other countries are going to allow normal travel without quarantine.

That's the problem Jean. It doesn't matter what date the government give for foreign travel to resume, other countries also have a large say in it too.

Avril

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Did you hear it during his house of commons statement? I don't think he gave as much detail during the press conference, which is maybe why people are getting confused if they only saw that. 

Yes I watched the entire announcement, then read his exact speech afterwards on government website including the documents that followed. I don’t read the news versions when I can read the actual documents put out. 
I find it hilarious that some refuse to accept they got things slightly wrong and instead choose to mock the ones pointing out the facts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, purplesea said:

....who announces he is going to hand over to the announcement

Pass. I’m out.
Do I need a pre declaration announcement that I will be declaring you the winner or can I make the declaration without announcing a pre declaration?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

No confusion, was not said in the commons statement! He was careful not to give false hope!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I was surprised at how many people were expecting to hear something about cruising in the roadmap. I would have been staggered if they had mentioned it, as they won’t have a clue yet. Just as Boris talked about 5 week gaps between each step to assess impact, I suspect that they will want to see what happens in both large hotels and other forms of international travel before they allow the resumption of overseas cruises. It will be interesting to see if the cruise lines lobby the government to allow around UK cruises once hotels are allowed to open (17th May), but the problem will be that not all UK adults will be vaccinated by then so they could have an outbreak which would be a disaster for them. 

As always Selbourne, the voice of reason.

Avril

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

No confusion, was not said in the commons statement! He was careful not to give false hope!

Just so we are absolutely clear. 
International travel may resume from May 17 at the earliest. 
government roadmap document shows this below. 
see section 125 and image. 

E88D0848-F1E2-4414-817A-841911B5F281.png

F32B1BA5-C12A-46D2-B46B-F57C4386C44D.png

Edited by joeecco
  • Like 3

Just now, joeecco said:

Just so we are absolutely clear. 
International travel may resume from May 17 at the earliest. 
government roadmap document shows this below. 
see section 125 and image. 

E88D0848-F1E2-4414-817A-841911B5F281.png

F32B1BA5-C12A-46D2-B46B-F57C4386C44D.png

No dispute there, only difference is what was said in parliament 

Someone’s just made a very good point on another thread. 21st June is the earliest date for larger gatherings and, of course, a cruise is a large gathering. So that (or the date when all UK adults have been vaccinated) might be the earliest date for around UK cruises? 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Someone’s just made a very good point on another thread. 21st June is the earliest date for larger gatherings and, of course, a cruise is a large gathering. So that (or the date when all UK adults have been vaccinated) might be the earliest date for around UK cruises? 

Surely that would be like saying a hotel resort type destination is a large gathering though. I can see they might have limits on numbers of people in each venue on the initial cruises. But not sure you'd class the whole cruise as a large gathering? 

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Ah very good point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, comcox said:

But he also said June 21st as earliest for large group gatherings--are not cruises that?  And he said there will be another announcement on April 12th regarding travel, etc.

Cruises are like very big hotels ,  are not treated as large gatherings 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

It will be interesting to see if the cruise lines lobby the government to allow around UK cruises once hotels are allowed to open (17th May), but the problem will be that not all UK adults will be vaccinated by then so they could have an outbreak which would be a disaster for them. 

Equally there could be no outbreak and the whole thing could be a major triumph.................just saying.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Surely that would be like saying a hotel resort type destination is a large gathering though. I can see they might have limits on numbers of people in each venue on the initial cruises. But not sure you'd class the whole cruise as a large gathering? 

Cruises are a very different beast to hotels though and guest behaviours and activities are very different with set time activities resulting in a degree of ‘herding’ that you don’t get in hotels. Obviously none of us know, as it would seem that cruises haven’t even been considered by the government yet, but I could see the logic of what the poster was saying.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Equally there could be no outbreak and the whole thing could be a major triumph.................just saying.

Of course John and with the way that the UK vaccination programme is going that becomes more and more likely, but the fact remains that until everyone is jabbed it remains a possibility and it’s a brave decision to run that risk, with the extremely damaging PR it would generate, when for the sake of a few more weeks they could virtually eliminate the risk. Of course, this still depends on all the crew being vaccinated, but the suggestion that their home countries might jab them as essential workers would alleviate that too. 

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cruises are like very big hotels ,  are not treated as large gatherings 

But passenger behaviours and activities are very different on a cruise ship than in a hotel, with set time activities and the ‘herding’ that this creates. Far more akin to large gatherings than hotels are IMHO. 

• Like 2