Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Agree.  I think on board restrictios will be lifted as soon as they can.  If by June 21st everything is lifted including social distancing, then that should be the same on the ships.

My reading of it seems to make me think they will go their own way. We shall have to wait and see.

And besides if no more restrictions on land does that mean they are back to full capacity at sea straight away?

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

To be fair, there is no answer to give yet. The answer that they have given rather assumes that cruises will be considered in the same breath as all other international travel, which I fear will not be the case. 

Paragraph 139 refers. Not the same breath, but cruises and other forms of travel in the same paragraph.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Of course John and with the way that the UK vaccination programme is going that becomes more and more likely, but the fact remains that until everyone is jabbed it remains a possibility and it’s a brave decision to run that risk, with the extremely damaging PR it would generate, when for the sake of a few more weeks they could virtually eliminate the risk. Of course, this still depends on all the crew being vaccinated, but the suggestion that their home countries might jab them as essential workers would alleviate that too. 

I understand your cautious thinking but Whiity and Valance have said that even after we are all vaccinated, we will have to learn to live with covid in a similar way to how we live with flu and other respiratory infections. So we can never eliminate risk, we just have to minimise it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Paragraph 139 refers. Not the same breath, but cruises and other forms of travel in the same paragraph.

Yes I read that and thought it was interesting that they mentioned cruises as one of several aspects of travel that has been affected, but when they go on to talk about how they will review it they refer to air travel and cruises isn’t mentioned!

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I understand your cautious thinking but Whiity and Valance have said that even after we are all vaccinated, we will have to learn to live with covid in a similar way to how we live with flu and other respiratory infections. So we can never eliminate risk, we just have to minimise it.

I always wonder what 'living with it' really looks like.

To some people, it means abandoning all measures and carrying on exactly like we did in 2019.

Other people  think it means changing our behaviour, maybe permanently. Always keeping a social distance, always wearing a mask, working from home becoming the norm, no crowded events, etc

Other people think it means they personally do what they want and other people change their lives.

Eliminating risk means we have to be proactive - so I reckon it means we have to change our way of living, as Covid is more infectious than flu, especially the Kent variant 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

And I agree with that view John. We do have to live with it. This might surprise you, but I would have been tempted to have opened up the economy a little quicker than they are planning, given that those at serious risk will all be jabbed by the end of April, but I follow the logic of making it a one way street and avoiding further accusations of u-turns whenever they make a sensible adjustment based on ever moving situations. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Masks should remain for life. There has bee no Flu season nor much of a Cold season this year because of that.

Do nightclubs really need to reopen? Do town centres really need to be turned into drunken warzones with conflicts between drunken groups restarting every weekend when they see each other for years on end?

Edited by ace2542

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I read that and thought it was interesting that they mentioned cruises as one of several aspects of travel that has been affected, but when they go on to talk about how they will review it they refer to air travel and cruises isn’t mentioned!

Paragraph 140 is not discriminatory. It mentions working with industry. The previous paragraph, 139 defines Industry. Not singling out cruising can be viewed as a positive .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

Masks and social distancing should remain for life. There has bee no Flu season nor much of a Cold season this year. 

Do nightclubs really need to reopen? Do town centres really need to be turned into drunken warzones will conflicts between drunken groups restarting every weekend for years on end?

Why not keep the stay at home message forever? Who needs to go out and enjoy life? The only way to stay healthy is to stay in your own house, never see anyone and certainly don't do anything fun like go to the pub or see your mates. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I always wonder what 'living with it' really looks like.

To some people, it means abandoning all measures and carrying on exactly like we did in 2019.

Other people  think it means changing our behaviour, maybe permanently. Always keeping a social distance, always wearing a mask, working from home becoming the norm, no crowded events, etc

Other people think it means they personally do what they want and other people change their lives.

Eliminating risk means we have to be proactive - so I reckon it means we have to change our way of living, as Covid is more infectious than flu, especially the Kent variant 

I think that's where we all decide what personal risk we're willing to take, rather than the government deciding for us. 

We'll go back to deciding what we want to do and when. But no point keeping stuff closed because some people decide its too risky. They can just choose not to do it. Like I wouldn't choose to do white water rafting or a bunjee jump because I'm not keen on dying that way. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Why not keep the stay at home message forever? Who needs to go out and enjoy life? The only way to stay healthy is to stay in your own house, never see anyone and certainly don't do anything fun like go to the pub or see your mates. 

Sounds a bit Prohibition era USA.  Didn't work either.

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Eliminating risk isn't on the agenda. Minimising, or managing risk is .

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think that's where we all decide what personal risk we're willing to take, rather than the government deciding for us. 

We'll go back to deciding what we want to do and when. But no point keeping stuff closed because some people decide its too risky. They can just choose not to do it. Like I wouldn't choose to do white water rafting or a bunjee jump because I'm not keen on dying that way. 

We all have different attitude to risk. I would do white water rafting, but will pass on bunjee jumping. I spent 30 odd years scuba diving. I considered it as minimal risk as I was trained properly. A friend of mine had a hobby that involved jumping out of aeroplanes. Not a hobby for me, but he was in the parachute regiment.🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We all have different attitude to risk. I would do white water rafting, but will pass on bunjee jumping. I spent 30 odd years scuba diving. I considered it as minimal risk as I was trained properly. A friend of mine had a hobby that involved jumping out of aeroplanes. Not a hobby for me, but he was in the parachute regiment.🤣

I started sleeping on the floor since someone told me 80% of men die in bed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Eliminating risk isn't on the agenda. Minimising, or managing risk is .

Sorry, I used the wrong word - I meant to say minimising.

The question is, how to we behave to minimise risk, when we are in the living with it stage?

do we 

A)  Everyone carry on like its 2019 and get rid of all restrictions

B)  Everyone change their way of living, maybe permanently

C) Personally carry on like it's 2019 but expect other people to change their way of living  

Edited by Dermotsgirl

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The question is, how to we behave to minimise risk, when we are in the living with it stage?

do we 

B)  Everyone change they way of living, maybe permanently

C) Personally carry on like it's 2019 but other expect other people to change their way of living 

I would say none of those. We do what we consider presents an acceptable risk to ourselves as individuals. This current phase of staying in to protect each other can only ever be temporary.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

And I agree with that view John. We do have to live with it. This might surprise you, but I would have been tempted to have opened up the economy a little quicker than they are planning, given that those at serious risk will all be jabbed by the end of April, but I follow the logic of making it a one way street and avoiding further accusations of u-turns whenever they make a sensible adjustment based on ever moving situations. 

As I say, what does living with it actually look like, in real terms. 

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

do we 

B)  Everyone change their way of living, maybe permanently

C) Personally carry on like it's 2019 but expect other people to change their way of living  

IMO it is B. 

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I would say none of those. We do what we consider presents an acceptable risk to ourselves as individuals. This current phase of staying in to protect each other can only ever be temporary.

I think that's answer C 

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'm not expecting anyone to change their way of living for me. 

They aren't doing it for you.  They would be forced to take  decisions  to protect themselves because others want their old way of living back, with no compromises to the Covid world we now live in