Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

3 hours ago, alija1960 said:

Also what about quarantine hotels will you still be expected to stay at Southampton for 10 days at £1,700

Not unless ports visited are in countries on the red list.  Right now if you arrive in the uk from a country NOT on the red list you self quarantine for 10 days and have to pre pay before your arrival in the UK for a test package over £200 for a test kit for day 2 and 8 in quarantine.  You can quarantine at your home address or with family.  If you test positive then you have to self isolate for a further 10 days and so do the rest of the people in your household.  Unless these rules change once international travel is permitted you will have to purchase the test kit to bring home before being allowed to disembark.   

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Lighten up peoples. We have a plan which may see the end of being prisoners. Vaccines proven to work with good data from reputable university's and I am going on a cruise, don't know when, but I'm going, so there !

Our first cruise this year will be Iona to the fjords at the end of August. No question. Does a trip meandering around the ocean, but not landing constitute foreign?. If not perhaps a little floating jaunt before then. It looks like our caravan hols in May and June are definite, probables🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, shopaholic6 said:

No it states possibly from 17th May - my cruises won’t be going ahead but if there is any chance the ship may sail, I might be struggling for a refund. That’s what happened with flights - passengers weren’t allowed to fly under UK rules however the flights still went and people were denied refunds.

That will happen, but a cruise is a package, so we will gain from package travel legislation.  Not the time to book your own thing this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t worry. I learned long ago the rules on here when it comes to discussing the resumption of cruises;

Realistic assessment based upon logic = negative / pessimistic

Cloud cuckoo land optimism & wishful thinking, ignoring all facts = realism. 

You need to get with the programme 😉 

Let's stop all this speculation and optimism/pessimism nonsense. There is a gap in Gary's UK tour dates from late June to November. We all know he will be in Iona early July to late October.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just to help clarify and hopefully end the arguments the full government paper on the roadmap contains the following clarification:

Step 2: No earlier than April 12th 

Overnight stays away from home in this country will be permitted and self-contained accommodation - those that do not require shared use of bathing, entry/exit, catering or sleeping facilities - can also reopen, though must only be used by members of the same household.

Step 3: No earlier than May 17th

The Global Travel Taskforce will report on 12 April with recommendations aimed at facilitating a return to international travel as soon as possible while still managing the risk from imported cases and Variants of Concern. Following that, the Government will determine when international travel should resume, which will be no earlier than 17 May.

Therefore to answer the original post ships will not sail before 17th May and as other posters have said they are unlikely to sail for sometime after that. Hopefully we will be able to have a great British summer and help to boost our own economy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Do me a favour, and stop telling me what I need to think.

You often complain that people with your mindset aren’t allowed to have your opinion on this forum, yet you actively attempt to squash other people’s opinions. 

You may not realise it, but you are being very disrespectful, and it is time to stop. 

Where in my post did I tell you what to think?

I simply used your post as an intro into giving my own views, which surely I have an equal right to air on the forum as you do.

If anyone is being disrespectful I would argue that your constant whining about my differing opinions is the more disrespectful.

I will try in future not to quote your posts, but since I was trying to indicate why my views differed, it seemed more sensible to quote your post, but merely as a comparison and in no way indicative that I did not have respect for your views. If you care to re-read my final sentence you should recognise that I was referring to my scenarios, and why I felt there was no need for pessimism about them.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I simply used your post as an intro into giving my own views, which surely I have an equal right to air on the forum as you do.

If anyone is being disrespectful I would argue that your constant whining about my differing opinions is the more disrespectful.

I will try in future not to quote your posts, but since I was trying to indicate why my views differed, it seemed more sensible to quote your post, but merely as a comparison and in no way indicative that I did not have respect for your views. If you care to re-read my final sentence you should recognise that I was referring to my scenarios, and why I felt there was no need for pessimism about them.

Give your  opinion about any subject. That really is fine.

Even in this post you are telling me what I should recognise

Just leave comments about me or what I should do out of it - that’s all I ask. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But when I used your posts from last summer as an intro into giving my own views a few weeks ago, you demanded an immediate explanation - and I didn’t even do it deliberately. It just happened that they were screenshots with some of your comments in sight.

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Give your  opinion about any subject. That really is fine.

Even in this post you are telling me what I should recognise

Just leave comments about me or what I should do out of it - that’s all I ask. 

If you stopped criticising me I would be glad to ignore you completely.

19 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But when I used your posts from last summer as an intro into giving my own views a few weeks ago, you demanded an immediate explanation - and I didn’t even do it deliberately. It just happened that they were screenshots with some of your comments in sight.

We did discuss this and I was a little mystified as to why you had quoted my posts, which seemed to have little connection to your post.  I have absolutely no problems with people disagreeing with my views, or indeed responding with their own opposite views.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t worry. I learned long ago the rules on here when it comes to discussing the resumption of cruises;

Realistic assessment based upon logic = negative / pessimistic

Cloud cuckoo land optimism & wishful thinking, ignoring all facts = realism. 

You need to get with the programme 😉 

Thank you for that explicit explanation Selbourne, it does explain your position quite exquisitely, starting and ending with realism.

I might need a little more time and thought to give you my counter proposal.:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We did discuss this and I was a little mystified as to why you had quoted my posts, which seemed to have little connection to your post.  I have absolutely no problems with people disagreeing with my views, or indeed responding with their own opposite views.

My next cruise will be at the end of August on Iona. Gary will be singing to the Ladies. That is not my view it is a fact. Opposite views are just that, but wrong.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Actually there was a connection, but you demanded to know why the screenshots included your posts, as if I had deliberately selected your posts, which I hadn’t. 

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I hope that even after a 15 month lay-off most hotel staff will have retained enough knowledge to slot back into  normal working practices.

I am still convinced that the tourist industry in most european countries is desparate to get back to work, and the shore excursion providers, bars and restaurants near to ports, as well as the port employees will all be pressuring the port authorities to open up ASAP.

As regards vaccination all UK national staff will have been immunised by May/June, and I imagine cruise lines are already looking at how they can get their foreign nationals vaccinated.

Many on here said vaccinating the entire UK in less than 2 years would be difficult, so there is no need to be pessimistic about the above scenarios.

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

He told me ‘there’s no need to be pessimistic’

That’s not an opinion about the situation- that’s telling me how to think and also labelling my opinion.

He does this time after time. That’s why I mentioned it - he always does this, it’s by no means the first time 

DG, please tell me where in my post I tell YOU not to be pessimistic?

As I commented earlier the highlighted para refers to my scenarios and everyone on the forum who said the vaccination programme was unachievable.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I thought Boris was very good today.  It was set out clearly.  I think they have deliberately stopped anything happening before easter, to stop people having an easter get together.  It's a shame as we have loads of bookings for easter week, but at least sport can go ahead, so people can get on the water.

I read what Johnson had to say, never watch him I don’t what to have to replace the TV after each press conference he does. 😬

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

DG, please tell me where in my post I tell YOU not to be pessimistic?

As I commented earlier the highlighted para refers to my scenarios and everyone on the forum who said the vaccination programme was unachievable.

I’ve said all I’m going to say, which was a culmination of events leading up to today.

Johnson May said International travel could start no earlier earlier than 17 May, however that will depend on the destination accepting tourists, which could depend on rollout of vaccine, infection levels and perceived state of Covid in U.K. What might acceptable to Johnson as an acceptable level may not be seen the same way by other countries. So he give a possible date but that doesn’t mean travel will happen, there maybe a small number of destinations which will build up to a larger number over the summer.

I would be very surprised if we saw any cruises leaving before the end of July. 

• Like 1