Will ships be stopped from sailing from British ports before 17th May?

Windsurfboy

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Cruises are a very different beast to hotels though and guest behaviours and activities are very different with set time activities resulting in a degree of ‘herding’ that you don’t get in hotels. Obviously none of us know, as it would seem that cruises haven’t even been considered by the government yet, but I could see the logic of what the poster was saying.

I imagine moving a lot of events outside (weather permitting) would be a starting point. Promoting eating in the buffet/room service at certain times to improve flow of people. Do the muster virtually in your cabin via the tv. 

If the government are saying 10,000 people can go to outdoor events and night clubs can go ahead in June, I see no reason why cruises would be an exception. With caution of course, but cruises have always promoted washing hands (even if people ignore it 🤡)

This is what appeared on both P&O and Cunard's Facebook page last night.

𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐔𝐊 𝐆𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐠
Following today’s Government briefing which highlights the roadmap back for hospitality and travel, we would like to thank all our guests for their support during this pause in our operations.
We are so looking forward to bringing our ships back and to providing amazing holidays at sea with the comprehensive framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.
As more clarity is provided on likely dates for travel and tourism to return we will provide an update on our return to service and the experience on board.
there were 536 assorted comments under the P&O one. 

Although 17th May is the earliest date that international travel (but not necessarily cruises) will recommence, I think that the following (from the 60 page official road map document) is the most telling;

The decision on when international travel can resume will be dependent on the global and domestic epidemiological picture, the prevalence and location of any Variants of Concern, the progress of vaccine rollouts here and abroad, and what more the Government has learned about the efficacy of vaccines on variants, and the impact on transmission, hospitalisation and deaths”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Just making sure that the version I disputed, was properly referenced!

But your dispute (post #73) has already been disproven as @joeeccoprovided the written evidence of the information that we both referred to. You can also watch the statement being delivered via various sources such as YouTube, BBC news etc. 

But no doubt you'll now say you were referring to something else now 😉

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Avril. So I’m not on your rapidly growing ‘block’ list just yet then 😉 

I only have two on there Selbourne, that were added a while ago. I don't suffer fools gladly and like to keep my BP under control.😉 It would be easy if I could skip past them, but I can't. I'm just too  darned nosy😁

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Although 17th May is the earliest date that international travel (but not necessarily cruises) will recommence, I think that the following (from the 60 page official road map document) is the most telling;

The decision on when international travel can resume will be dependent on the global and domestic epidemiological picture, the prevalence and location of any Variants of Concern, the progress of vaccine rollouts here and abroad, and what more the Government has learned about the efficacy of vaccines on variants, and the impact on transmission, hospitalisation and deaths”.

Similar caveats apply to the lifting of domestic restrictions too. They're all there in case they have to back peddle.

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That is the most telling and interesting paragraph

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

But your dispute (post #73) has already been disproven as @joeeccoprovided the written evidence of the information that we both referred to. You can also watch the statement being delivered via various sources such as YouTube, BBC news etc. 

But no doubt you'll now say you were referring to something else now 😉

Hansard will decide!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I almost can't believe the number of people booking flights and foreign holidays.  Then they've got all the hassle of trying to get refunds if it all goes belly up.  All over the news this morning. 

Tui has apparently said that bookings were up 500% overnight and that there are a lot of bookings for July.  Sensible to book for then if you need to as prices will rise and availability will likely be limited this year, even if allowed, since not all flights will be possible IMO.

No risk with a package purchase, but I would not be booking separate flights/hotel this year.  Once our Tui holiday was cancelled a week or so ago, the vast amount of the refund was made whilst still on the phone and an odd £30 was showing as pending and was processed within a couple of days (Must have been from our initial first stage deposit on our original booking which was cancelled last year).  Money all back in the bank within about 3/4 days.  Tui  were giving +20% for a re booking then, or +10% on a future credit.  All holiday/cruise companies seem to have got their act together regards refunds etc., though I think going through an agent can cause some hiccups.

Edited by tring

In case you’ve not seen it, this is on the BBC news website ‘Live News’.  A particular question about cruises - but no real answer, or at least nothing other than the 17th May date

Anna in Derby asks if she will be able to take a cruise from the UK this summer?

At this point in time, it’s simply too early to say. For the present, though, no non-essential international travel is allowed.

The government has set up a Global Travel Taskforce, which will report on 12 April, with recommendations for how international travel could resume without allowing new Covid variants being brought in from other countries.

Following this, the government will decide when international travel should resume, but this will be no earlier than 17 May.

However, this is not entirely up to the UK - other countries will be easing their own lockdowns at different speeds, which may affect travellers’ ability to visit.

There is also the possibility that an international vaccination certificate could yet be agreed, allowing greater freedom to travel to those who have had the jab.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I almost can't believe the number of people booking flights and foreign holidays.  Then they've got all the hassle of trying to get refunds if it all goes belly up.  All over the news this morning.  Thank you both for confirming what it said.  I find the block button very useful on here 🤣

Same thing happened last Summer after the first lockdown then everyone was blaming the government because they either had to isolate when they got home or come home early and they couldnt get flights. Everyone was to blame except themselves for not using common sense and not rushing to book anything.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Paragraphs 139 onwards are also quite telling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Equally there could be no outbreak and the whole thing could be a major triumph.................just saying.

The roadmap document is fairly realistic. It talks of managing the risk, not eliminating the risk. Industry do this on most things Bad debts, H&S, quality management , sustainability etc. No risk, no going anywhere, or doing anything.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Same thing happened last Summer after the first lockdown then everyone was blaming the government because they either had to isolate when they got home or come home early and they couldnt get flights. Everyone was to blame except themselves for not using common sense and not rushing to book anything.

Or booking a package as companies I have seen say they will cancel if need to quarantine and other protections regards getting home etc.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tring said:

Tui has apparently said that bookings were up 500% overnight and that there are a lot of bookings for July.  Sensible to book for then if you need to as prices will rise and availability will likely be limited this year, even if allowed, since not all flights will be possible IMO.

No risk with a package purchase, but I would not be booking separate flights/hotel this year.  Once our Tui holiday was cancelled a week or so ago, the vast amount of the refund was made whilst still on the phone and an odd £30 was showing as pending and was processed within a couple of days (Must have been from our initial first stage deposit on our original booking which was cancelled last year).  Money all back in the bank within about 3/4 days.  Tui  were giving +20% for a re booking then, or +10% on a future credit.  All holiday/cruise companies seem to have got their act together regards refunds etc., though I think going through an agent can cause some hiccups.

We had a TUI holiday booked last year, which we moved to this April. A couple of months ago we moved it again to September. No problem moving it around. I would have no hesitation booking for late summer as it could be moved. Just not got very much space in the calendar .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We had a TUI holiday booked last year, which we moved to this April. A couple of months ago we moved it again to September. No problem moving it around. I would have no hesitation booking for late summer as it could be moved. Just not got very much space in the calendar .

We will need a bigger calendar. 

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

We will need a bigger calendar. 

Much bigger🤣. After I said that I remembered a quite large BA credit that needs to be used by next April. We feel a Canaries, or Caribbean break looming for the winter.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

In case you’ve not seen it, this is on the BBC news website ‘Live News’.  A particular question about cruises - but no real answer, or at least nothing other than the 17th May date

Anna in Derby asks if she will be able to take a cruise from the UK this summer?

At this point in time, it’s simply too early to say. For the present, though, no non-essential international travel is allowed.

The government has set up a Global Travel Taskforce, which will report on 12 April, with recommendations for how international travel could resume without allowing new Covid variants being brought in from other countries.

Following this, the government will decide when international travel should resume, but this will be no earlier than 17 May.

However, this is not entirely up to the UK - other countries will be easing their own lockdowns at different speeds, which may affect travellers’ ability to visit.

There is also the possibility that an international vaccination certificate could yet be agreed, allowing greater freedom to travel to those who have had the jab.

To be fair, there is no answer to give yet. The answer that they have given rather assumes that cruises will be considered in the same breath as all other international travel, which I fear will not be the case. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

This is what appeared on both P&O and Cunard's Facebook page last night.

𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐔𝐊 𝐆𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐠
Following today’s Government briefing which highlights the roadmap back for hospitality and travel, we would like to thank all our guests for their support during this pause in our operations.
We are so looking forward to bringing our ships back and to providing amazing holidays at sea with the comprehensive framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.
As more clarity is provided on likely dates for travel and tourism to return we will provide an update on our return to service and the experience on board.
there were 536 assorted comments under the P&O one. 

So from that is apparent we will all need vaccinations and masks will be worn forever. It seems like they will do that regardless of government protocol.

Just now, majortom10 said:

Think that is rather being melodramatic.

Agree.  I think on board restrictios will be lifted as soon as they can.  If by June 21st everything is lifted including social distancing, then that should be the same on the ships.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Holy moley I think I aged a year just reading this thread!

Sorry we do not offer counselling until at least 20 pages onwards :classic_unsure:

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I find it amazing how people can read the same words but interpret them differently I read it as 'on May 17th the government will decide when foreign travel can begin'. 

Avril    

I sat through Houses of Parliament yesterday and listened carefully to what was said .

In a nutshell ..Once lockdown is lifted ,people are going to die , so we will go slowly with 

our plans and delay if necessary, So the simple answer is we do not know yet .

Only two week ago Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said ...

"The more elaborate your plans are for summer holidays... the more you are stepping into

making guesses about the unknown."

He explained: "The more elaborate your plans are for summer holidays, in terms of crossing borders, in terms of household mixing, given where we are now, I think we just have to say the more you are stepping into making guesses about the unknown. I can't give people a proper answer at this point because we don't yet have the data. It's just too early."

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Think that is rather being melodramatic.

Why? Consider the lawsuits for getting Covid onboard? Consider vaccines not 100% effective? Consider the possibility that people can lie about having the vaccine and maybe they will be able to. We don't know what proof will be accepted or how people will react to giving that proof over. Given that you might be giving up your entire medical history. Consider that people can and will lie on the health questionnaires.

I have lied on a health questionnaire. I vomited the night before I got on the NCL  Gem at Christmas 2017. We had drunk 3 bottles between 5 of us in a club.  I wasn't about to tell them that.