La Reserve: Onboard Booking Only ?!?!

Shawnino

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Our last O cruise was late 19 and they had this wine-bar night a couple of times...but it was almost completely unadvertised. The chap who was acting as Sommelier at La Reserve was the Breakfast leader in Waves as his "day job"--he sashayed up to our table one morning to ask why we hadn't been at Wine Bar the night before (held in same room as La Reserve). Well, we simply didn't know about it. Apparently, nobody did, he replied with regret. 

The second night they ran it we were in port overnight, so we didn't dash back for it that evening either. Kind of odd, as this type of thing has "Sea Day" written all over it.  

I'm glad you mentioned the wine bar nights.  We went a couple of time on Marina in Dec 19 and our experience replicated yours, right down to the LR Somm asking us why we didn't show up the one the nights they had it.  On our sailing they offered wine tastings and tapas.  There was no need to go to dinner afterwards.  And on top of the food and wine offerings in La Reserve, I think the design and décor of the room itself is the best on the ship.

Oh great.  After all this reminiscing about La Reserve now I'm sorry our next cruise on O is on Sirena.  I am going to MISS those nights.

10 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

I hope this unable to book in advanced is only temporary as they work out getting cruises going again or it will be a big disappointment and rebooking mess for those who really, really, really want to go to La Reserve  

And I couldn't agree more.  I wouldn't book the specialties until I had booked La Reserve.

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Amex Platinum benefits for Oceania include $300 OBC plus a Premium Wine Tasting event, plus a complimentary bottle of wine from the Wine Tasting Event.  I sure hope they let me know where it is!

This card is so much better for US cardholders. Total waste of time in Canada. Did try it for a year. So many perks, like this one, simply not included.

13 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

This card is so much better for US cardholders. Total waste of time in Canada. Did try it for a year. So many perks, like this one, simply not included.

Sorry to hear that.  It really works for me – even this year with no travelling I have easily earned back the membership fee.  Once I start buying airline tickets again it will be a gold mine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

I hope this unable to book in advanced is only temporary as they work out getting cruises going again or it will be a big disappointment and rebooking mess for those who really, really, really want to go to La Reserve  

I think you're probably on to something with this. More than likely until they know for sure which cruises will actually sail they're not putting in the paperwork and employee hours to book, then cancel the reservations. So many moving parts in all this. 

• Like 1

If they continue the Dom program, then they have to hire a certified Sommelier. That costs extra money.

If they don’t continue the program, they can go back to the inexpensive inexperienced wine schleppers of old.

Here’s hoping for the Dom P program . 🥂

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If they continue the Dom program, then they have to hire a certified Sommelier. That costs extra money.

If they don’t continue the program, they can go back to the inexpensive inexperienced wine schleppers of old.

Here’s hoping for the Dom P program . 🥂

So I guess you could say it would either be a Dom program or a dumb program...🥂 😁

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2021 at 5:58 AM, Shawnino said:

Our last O cruise was late 19 and they had this wine-bar night a couple of times...but it was almost completely unadvertised. The chap who was acting as Sommelier at La Reserve was the Breakfast leader in Waves as his "day job"--he sashayed up to our table one morning to ask why we hadn't been at Wine Bar the night before (held in same room as La Reserve). Well, we simply didn't know about it. Apparently, nobody did, he replied with regret. 

The second night they ran it we were in port overnight, so we didn't dash back for it that evening either. Kind of odd, as this type of thing has "Sea Day" written all over it.  

Same here.  It's a great idea.  I was on Riviera in Nov 2019 and I managed to come to one of them and one other couple showed up.  They bury the ad for it somewhere in Currents and I forgot the second one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We’re new to Oceania - not sailing until March 22. I asked my TA last month when it would be possible to book Las Reserve and his reply: ‘Oceania have advised that the ability to pre-book La Reserve is available 75 days prior to sailing.’ Who knows if that may change...who knows anything right now...?!

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a question from a newbie.  Can we book reservations for two with with two different menus (such as Odyssey and  Cuisine Bourgeoise) ?

Hank

You can book all the  menus  for a fee if there is availability

La Reserve  seats 24   so  they do fill quickly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a question from a newbie.  Can we book reservations for two with with two different menus (such as Odyssey and  Cuisine Bourgeoise) ?

Hank

Each night has one set menu for 24. You can book for 1 or 2 or more, 100% prepaid.

Fills quick.

At one year plus since sailing, and perhaps near another one before regular sailing resumes, I would say that La Reserve is a chicken and egg proposition.

The wines from the earlier dinners are now most certainly long gone. My professional guess is that to make the new dinners work it will require new menus of both food and wine. Ah, but no cruise line is currently going to expend cash to procure and store wines for a year out. 

Therefore, my guess is, in conjunction with Wine Spectator, those new menus with food and wine pairings wouldn’t be finalized until the decision to sail is made. That of being if they intend upon immediately offering LaReserve on the early sailing.

Seventy five days prior to cruising is probably about right for reservations, especially for the early sailings.