CDC New Guidance For Vaccinated People

coffeebean

On 3/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, zerooveride said:

I live in NY and it was a bit of a pain to get an appointment. That was until JamieLogical taught me the trick of clicking to make an appointment at a site even if they say no appointments. Cancellations come up all the time but the status doesn't change from "No appointments available".

Here in Huntsville Al, there is another way to bypass the central appointment process.  Just show up.  If they have no shows, they can't hold the vaccine.  It's use or lose due to storage issues.  About 30 minutes prior to closing they call for anyone waiting without an appointment to come forward until they use all the opened vaccine.  This process isn't publicized as far as I know but I've talked to two people who were vaccinated this way.  One I talked too said he and his wife went to the site without appointments.   There wasn't enough vaccine, only the wife could be vaccinated.  The man went back the next day and was vaccinated too.

We're scheduled for our second dose tomorrow.  We used the central appointment process for our appointment which worked very well.   There is one website where they ask questions to verify your eligibility, age, etc.  You cannot make an appointment there.  They call you back.  They called about three days later and this process worked very well as we were able to schedule both our appointments at the same convenient time.  We missed that appointment due yo weather but they called us back a few days later and rescheduled.  We were given times for both shots at the same time.  It's Pfizer in this area so our appointments were three weeks apart.

Edited by RocketMan275

On 3/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, JamieLogical said:

I am not sure why your relatives in NY have had such difficulty. Literally every single person I know who is currently eligible for the vaccine here has received their first dose now, except for one friend who unfortunately had to attend her mother's funeral last week on the day she was scheduled, so she has rescheduled for next week.

I think this has a lot to do with being technically savvy. My parents (in Buffalo) are in their 70s, and scheduled appointments in January... and just had their first doses on separate days this weekend (mid-March).

My mother insisted that there was no availability...  but they only have DSL, they're not the best at technology, etc etc, etc, so I think a fair amount was not being able to click through for appointments fast enough. For those without internet access, making an appointment via phone or call center seems like an even worse experience. 

Meanwhile, my husband and I are still not eligible since we're too young to get vaccinated in NYC, have no preexisting conditions, are both working from home, and stupidly got a Peloton last year so now our BMIs aren't even close to qualifying us. 

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Here in Huntsville Al, there is another way to bypass the central appointment process.  Just show up.  If they have no shows, they can't hold the vaccine.  It's use or lose due to storage issues.  About 30 minutes prior to closing they call for anyone waiting without an appointment to come forward until they use all the opened vaccine.  This process isn't publicized as far as I know but I've talked to two people who were vaccinated this way.  One I talked too said he and his wife went to the site without appointments.   There wasn't enough vaccine, only the wife could be vaccinated.  The man went back the next day and was vaccinated too.

We're scheduled for our second dose tomorrow.  We used the central appointment process for our appointment which worked very well.   There is one website where they ask questions to verify your eligibility, age, etc.  You cannot make an appointment there.  They call you back.  They called about three days later and this process worked very well as we were able to schedule both our appointments at the same convenient time.  We missed that appointment due yo weather but they called us back a few days later and rescheduled.  We were given times for both shots at the same time.  It's Pfizer in this area so our appointments were three weeks apart.

My doctor who also my trusted friend told me how things are working with his scheduling. He is one of the providers of vaccine administration in North Texas. People are signing up on many different providers and they dont call back if they get it and dont need to get it from him. He allocates the supply he is due to receive based on the people scheduled. The people dont show and the vaccine expiresd and thrown away. That is why the vaccine received vs vaccine administered is out of whack. MILLIONS of vaccines have been thrown out since this began. When we got our second dose 2/6 he had a lot of vaccine left and asked me if i knew people that wanted the vaccine and were waiting. I did a group text to my Womens bible study and they passed the word and several came to get it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

My doctor who also my trusted friend told me how things are working with his scheduling. He is one of the providers of vaccine administration in North Texas. People are signing up on many different providers and they dont call back if they get it and dont need to get it from him. He allocates the supply he is due to receive based on the people scheduled. The people dont show and the vaccine expiresd and thrown away. That is why the vaccine received vs vaccine administered is out of whack. MILLIONS of vaccines have been thrown out since this began. When we got our second dose 2/6 he had a lot of vaccine left and asked me if i knew people that wanted the vaccine and were waiting. I did a group text to my Womens bible study and they passed the word and several came to get it. 

I suspect there are many instances of this.  I know residence in this county isn't a requirement.  

2 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Have a hard time believing the number of vaccines wasted is in the "MILLIONS" although the premise is true that there is waste.  Hey it is the good ole USA, would we expect anything less?

Very easy to research. They list by state the amount that was received vs amount that was administered.

4 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Very easy to research. They list by state the amount that was received vs amount that was administered.

Let’s take Texas for example.  There have been about 7,000 ‘wasted’ doses out of 9,000,000 shipped (see attached).  So, gonna be pretty hard to get into the millions wasted.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates/COVID19VaccineDosesWasted.pdf

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 12:35 PM, farmersfight said:

True, but Florida prioritized protecting the elderly (especially those with underlying health conditions) and opened the rest of the state up.

California on the other hand, completely locked down and is still locked down and has more cases than Florida, not to mention that California is #1 in the U.S. in cases (since Jan 21, 2020).

Shows that lock downs don't work.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_totalcases

As a California resident, I can assure you that other than the initial lockdown last year,  California has never been on full lockdown.  And what lockdown we did have, did not stop people from choosing to have large gatherings in their homes — we had at least one or two neighbors with large parties every weekend all summer, and again over the holidays — or from going out where-ever.  We had restaurants having illicit indoor dining for their regulars, and many, many people refusing to wear a mask.  As far as the most cases in the country, we also have the most people, so, it’s not exactly surprising our numbers would be high.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

We had restaurants having illicit indoor dining for their regulars, and many, many people refusing to wear a mask.

Sounds like your governor dining with lobbyists at a posh Napa Valley restaurant; indoors, not wearing a mask.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sugcarol said:

According to the CDC data.

North Dakota has the highest ratio of vaccine recieved in the state vs administered 88.77

Alabama has the worst ratio of 60.38

I'm wondering if this is true, where do news sources get their info from? NPR has higher percentage stats listed: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state?t=1612192437280

Meanwhile here in NY, NPR says we've administered 75% while the state press releases always have us above 90%. I just want the truth.

3 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

I'm wondering if this is true, where do news sources get their info from? NPR has higher percentage stats listed: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state?t=1612192437280

Meanwhile here in NY, NPR says we've administered 75% while the state press releases always have us above 90%. I just want the truth.

Comparing that data to the CDC data and is pretty much the same. NPR has North Dakota at 89% and Alabama at 66%. My doctor who is a vaccine provider in North Texas says that all vaccine administered info is going directly to the CDC to their data base. It does not go to state health dept, because it is a federal program not a state program. States get the vaccine and decide where it is to be distributed. It is up to the providers to show them who got it, the date, SS number, type of vaccine, and lot number. I cant see why a vaccine passport couldnt work because a person's vax record could be downloaded from the CDC's data base as a legal record. Then again it is the government and they dont always do things the way they should., 

11 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Sounds like your governor dining with lobbyists at a posh Napa Valley restaurant; indoors, not wearing a mask.

Pretty much — but definitely not limited to him.  Seems a lot of restaurants catering to wealthy clientele didn’t think the restrictions applied to them. But why are you making it political??  This is a major public health issue not a political one, and since none of my neighbors is the governor, nor any of the people we encountered not masking at the grocery store, IKEA, TJ Maxx, etc., I don’t see how trying to divert the topic to a political one is helpful.  

I personally think your comparison of California and Florida was entirely too simplistic to be anywhere near accurate.  While FL has a lot of tourism, I would hazard a guess that both CA and NY have far more international and domestic influx than FL, more multi-generational households, and more congested living arrangements. We had a more contagious local variant, as well as the UK variant (apologies to the UK, I can’t remember the the viral designate) spreading undetected in the state over the holidays when people foolishly opted to have gatherings.  There are so many variables, and many that rely on compliance by the population to be effective.  From reading your comments in this thread, I don’t really see any point in trying to engage in facts with you, but if I provide food for thought to someone willing to consider more, then that works for me.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I'm sorry, but seeing the Governors of CA and NY in hot water (one about to be recalled and the other under investigation) is an irony I find absolutely delicious. I knew karma would catch up with them sooner or later. Serves 'em right for their heavy-handed, disastrous response to Covid.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm sorry, but seeing the Governors of CA and NY in hot water (one about to be recalled and the other under investigation) is an irony I find absolutely delicious. I knew karma would catch up with them sooner or later. Serves 'em right for their heavy-handed, disastrous response to Covid.

image.jpeg.4bc4561642b7de23633dcb494ddfdb15.jpeg

What he said. Karma can be a b#$&*, can't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Pretty much — but definitely not limited to him.  Seems a lot of restaurants catering to wealthy clientele didn’t think the restrictions applied to them. But why are you making it political??  This is a major public health issue not a political one, and since none of my neighbors is the governor, nor any of the people we encountered not masking at the grocery store, IKEA, TJ Maxx, etc., I don’t see how trying to divert the topic to a political one is helpful.  

I personally think your comparison of California and Florida was entirely too simplistic to be anywhere near accurate.  While FL has a lot of tourism, I would hazard a guess that both CA and NY have far more international and domestic influx than FL, more multi-generational households, and more congested living arrangements. We had a more contagious local variant, as well as the UK variant (apologies to the UK, I can’t remember the the viral designate) spreading undetected in the state over the holidays when people foolishly opted to have gatherings.  There are so many variables, and many that rely on compliance by the population to be effective.  From reading your comments in this thread, I don’t really see any point in trying to engage in facts with you, but if I provide food for thought to someone willing to consider more, then that works for me.  

Sincere here, if I made this thread too political, I apologize. If you read back through this thread, there are other political posts, so it wasn't just me.

Yeah, my comparison of Florida to California did have a potitical component to it, but it is hard not to when the Governors of each state make the calls with regard to shutdowns, mask wearing, etc.

As far as my comparison of California vs Florida being "entirely too simplistic to be anywhere near accurate", you better tell that to the CDC because I used their Covid data tracker (linked below). When I first made my comparison, I highlighted the total # of covid cases. Someone on this thread correctly pointed out that you can't look at total #'s of case because California's overall population is greater than Florida's (as you also infer by pointing out that CA has more multi-generational households). I agreed with this point. So, if you look at the rate (# of cases per 100K of people), California & Florida's case #'s are very similar. At the risk of being too political again, you can't tell me California kept schools, businesses, etc as open or more open than Florida.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100k

• Like 1

It's literally impossible to know whether Cali or Florida did it better, covid -wise because one could make the argument that Cali would have had many more infections had they not locked down as hard as they did.  Conversely, you could say had they just left it up to the individual and individual businesses, like the Florida model (and after the initial few weeks to slow the spread) that they would have done just as well.  Can't know right now.

You can definitely say Florida did better on other measures though, job losses, mental health, school openings, economically.  Personally, I think this was the better approach because there's more to health than viral infections.  A wholistic approach to health, including mental health, social contacts, physical fitness, etc. is important.

There will be lots of data after the fact to analyze; maybe we'll get a better idea then and develop the best plan that everyone will follow, for the next pandemic. The degree to which politics and other unsavory, unrelated things muddied the waters of this one is tragic.

Edited by macandlucy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, macandlucy said:

It's literally impossible to know whether Cali or Florida did it better, covid -wise because one could make the argument that Cali would have had many more infections had they not locked down as hard as they did.  Conversely, you could say had they just left it up to the individual and individual businesses, like the Florida model (and after the initial few weeks to slow the spread) that they would have done just as well.  Can't know right now.

You can definitely say Florida did better on other measures though, job losses, mental health, school openings, economically.  Personally, I think this was the better approach because there's more to health than viral infections.  A wholistic approach to health, including mental health, social contacts, physical fitness, etc. is important.

There will be lots of data after the fact to analyze; maybe we'll get a better idea then and develop the best plan that everyone will follow, for the next pandemic. The degree to which politics and other unsavory, unrelated things muddied the waters of this one is tragic.

What a refreshingly sane post :).

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to discuss covid intellectually without acknowledging that the handling of the virus has been (and continues to be) largely Political. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 2:07 PM, coffeebean said:

CDC is lifting some restrictions for vaccinated individuals. Things are looking brighter for those who have chosen to be vaccinated. My hope is that all who wish to be vaccinated will be vaccinated soon.

CDC New Guidance for Vaccinated People

on the the list should be soon now for my Vaccine can't wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macandlucy said:

because one could make the argument that Cali would have had many more infections had they not locked down as hard as they did. 

And one could make the argument that Cali's case rate (cases per 100K people) would've been about the same if they had opened up like Florida. Keeping beaches, schools, businesses, etc open in Florida would have the same non-effect (of the case rate) in California. A beach is a beach, a school is a school, a business is a business whether it is in Florida or California.

O.k., I'm done. I agree, this thread has become too political so I will do my part to stop the political bickering.

• Like 3

I think 3kidsncats did a good job listing some of the variables that have to be taken into account. Where I live, we have a mask mandate for public indoor spaces, (but thankfully not the absurd one for out of doors), most businesses have been allowed to stay open, but we have a public health order that prohibits socializing with people not in your household. That's because contact tracers have identified people's homes as one of the primary modes of transmission.

We also have many multi-generational family living situations and that has been shown to be a significant infection driver. But forcing people to stay in their homes, when you know that is one of the main ways it's transmitted, seems unwise, especially when you consider that duration of exposure is an important transmission factor.  Seems far smarter to let people go out, follow the rules the businesses have established, or be outside, etc than it is to spend hour after hour exchanging indoor air. 

I do think there's a certain degree of villainizing and an equal measure of virtue signaling, and to a lesser extent, some denial, and none of it is good. But the irrational fear levels, the indoctrination levels (ie if that person say it's X, then I *know* it must be Y just based on who it is who is saying it), that...is way bigger problem, and not just for covid.  I hope we can recover from this weirdness and return to our senses soon.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

And one could make the argument that Cali's case rate (cases per 100K people) would've been about the same if they had opened up like Florida. Keeping beaches, schools, businesses, etc open in Florida would have the same non-effect (of the case rate) in California. A beach is a beach, a school is a school, a business is a business whether it is in Florida or California.

O.k., I'm done. I agree, this thread has become too political so I will do my part to stop the political bickering.

Didn't I say that in my post though?:

Conversely, you could say had they just left it up to the individual and individual businesses, like the Florida model (and after the initial few weeks to slow the spread) that they would have done just as well.