UK restarting

deliver42

Even if they started up in North America or Europe this summer we will not be getting on a ship. Still too many unknowns about who is & isn't vaccinated. We'll wait until 2022 to give things a chance to get back to something normal. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Hmmm!

Well, UK has made a lot of progress. Possibly because of their 2 months national shutdown.

Global Euro new cases per capita March 6.JPG

Yes due to our lockdown and mass vaccination programme, we will see what happens coming out of lockdown

• Like 2

13 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The UK has cleared cruising with restrictions of course. The US has done NOTHING.

And you know the UK has, generally, had lower standards on this topic than the US? And you know the cruise lines have not complied fully with the CDC requirements, right?

You also know very, very few countries are welcoming travelers and cruise ships?

The cruise lines, I suspect, are also VERY aware that if another outbreak occurs on a ship, the fallout will be extreme for their business. I truly believe the cruise line execs lose a lot of sleep over what could possibly go wrong on this front, and are probably thinking a higher level of vaccination, and a far lower number of positive tests will help cruising open safer.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The UK has cleared cruising with restrictions of course. The US has done NOTHING.

Source please:

Btw I am British and no formal announcement by the government has been made.

Annie

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Here is a news source. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5936/

But that is for domestic cruises.  Not international travellers.

edited to day I realize you were answering anniegb. I very much doubt that International travellers will be welcome before the Fall - if, even then.

All we can do is wait and see.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

But that is for domestic cruises.  Not international travellers.

Someone asked for a source concerning the restart of cruising in general out of UK ports, NOT international cruising specifically. Domestic cruising qualifies as cruising. 

edit: I heard about this change this am from a youtuber in the UK called "Emma Cruises."  She was quite thrilled.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

Just now, fatcat04 said:

Someone asked for a source concerning the restart of cruising in general out of UK ports, NOT international cruising specifically. Domestic cruising qualifies as cruising. 

Yes, I clued in and had edited my post.  Mea culpa.

I was focused on the title of the thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Yes, I clued in and had edited my post.  Mea culpa.

I was focused on the title of the thread.

It's all good. I follow a few avid cruise fans on Youtube, a couple of them from the UK and they have been celebrating this positive news. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

edit: I heard about this change this am from a youtuber in the UK called "Emma Cruises."  She was quite thrilled.

Cruises ex SOTON (1 UK port) will not reach all regions of the UK.  They can cruise English waters only as 7 days max cruise length. No other ports are being suggested as departure ports currently. Sailing up and down the English channel is not viewed as cruising by many UK cruisers.

Many English cruisers hope they can cruise to Orkney Islands - currently that will not happen.

May 17th is the earliest possible date and is not in set in stone. It is an English target date currently not applicable to the other 3 countries of the UK. There is more to the UK than England.

Devil is always in the detail.

That said the announcement is a start. A baby step.

Annie

PS When the cruisers check in they will have to produce documentary evidence of travel insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Boy I hope they are not setting themselves up for a disaster.  A bad restart will impact the entire industry.

Absolutely. I think cruise line execs are VERY worried about this. One sick ship could crush the industry. I know profit motive is always everyone's favorite bogeyman, but in this case, a mistake and premature opening could be a fatal mistake, in several ways.

Of course, in the US, we are doing NOTHING, as the OP incorrectly states. And has not returned to explain their thinking.

Somehow MSC has managed to do week-long cruises since November in the Mediterranean. They are using contact tracing, among other measures, to limit exposure. In a recent post on the MSC CC forum, there was was one family that had a member of their party show contact with a passenger. They gave a very descriptive narration of the process that MSC used for their event. 

• Like 1