Cunard cancellations update 11th March

Stu UK

Cruise cancelled: 11th March

Deposit refund requested: 11th March

Email saying deposit refunded to credit card: 18th March

So just a week's wait is a lot better than last year's refund which took over 60 days. Credit where credit's due. They've got their act together this time it seems. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Both my summer Queen Elizabeth cruises cancelled. Waiting to see what their UK short summer season will be. 
Has anyone heard when the details will be released?

Yep, our QE cruise out of Southampton on 14th June, would have been our first Cunard trip, Another line we haven't tried yet is MSC and this looks interesting :-

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24593-msc-to-cruise-the-uk-from-may-20-no-vaccination-required.html 

2 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Both my summer Queen Elizabeth cruises cancelled. Waiting to see what their UK short summer season will be. 
Has anyone heard when the details will be released?

I've been reading "More details will be revealed later this month." That's from Cunard's March 11th press release. One site is saying "this could be as early as next week", though I don't know how much faith to put in that.

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I've been reading "More details will be revealed later this month." That's from Cunard's March 11th press release. One site is saying "this could be as early as next week", though I don't know how much faith to put in that.

And is this annoying or what - P&O releasing theirs on Monday morning,  and I expect a rush to book however if one isnt sure which will be best options and have to wait days until one can see what Cunard is offering,  pretty sure choice will be limited - have enough FCC on both to practically buy the ship, was hoping to use for a mini holiday here in the UK this summer and a proper cruise in the winter not have it all eaten up by bad timing 

• 2 weeks later...

They are booking from tomorrow.

Meanwhile I was speaking to someone at Cunard today, and they suggested that the TAs are very unlikely to be up and running again until 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on the December 3 TA crossing. I thought that, given the vaccination rates in the US and UK, it would likely sail. But I do see that Cunard has cancelled its TA crossings before November, and IB2's post immediately above certainly suggests that it might not sail.

The fares for the TA crossings in 2022 are considerably higher than the 12.3.21 fare and deal I booked perhaps six months ago.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, ShipFan13 said:

Just saw they updated the Cunard, website and cruises onboard the QM2 are cancelled up until November 12?

Are new itineration changes coming?  

That cancelation was announced effective 11 March of this year.

I think the first QM2 sailing is now a SOU to NYC transatlantic on 14 November.

Many 2022 sailings show limited availability - lots of folks with canceled cruises have already rescheduled for 2022.

We're booked on that crossing/cruise/crossing. I had hoped, assuming it goes ahead, there would have been a couple of crossing to iron out the post Covid protocols, but it looks like we will be the guinea pigs - Still looking forward to it though.

1 hour ago, ShipFan13 said:

Just saw they updated the Cunard, website and cruises onboard the QM2 are cancelled up until November 12?

Are new itineration changes coming?  

This is old news. Youscared me.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am due to pay for my September trip on QV soon. The big question is will this one actually go ahead. Fingers crossed.

Good Luck LL. Things are starting to look very positive. I will cross my fingers for you too. 

8 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am due to pay for my September trip on QV soon. The big question is will this one actually go ahead. Fingers crossed.

Me too, I think it'll be a close call.

I'll be ringing my booking agent to see if they're extending the deadline for payment of balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Now there are hardly any countries left of the green list for the UK and cases are rising, do you think Cunard will cancel the UK sailings and perhaps cruises going later on this year? 

I wish I could book one of the UK sailings but am still waiting to get by vaccine :( 

Cunard has not cancelled the TA crossings after mid-November. Whether these crossings take place obviously depends on Covid variations and mitigation mandates at a later time. However, the 12.3 TA eastbound crossing does not even appear on the Cunard website because it is completely sold out.

On 6/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, Yorky67 said:

What do people think the chances are of QE sailing mid October to Australia, given the strict restrictions there? 

Very little chance, I'm afraid. The Australian government is making financial projections based on it being closed to tourism until mid 2022.

Little Fish

Thanks for the info.  Good to hear from an Australian with an ear tuned in to cruising.

We do hear these reports in the UK, but so much uncertainty. That news does not bode well for the QV World Cruise either....  so Cunard have big decisions to make. 

Roll on the vaccine ! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yorky67 said:

Little Fish

Thanks for the info.  Good to hear from an Australian with an ear tuned in to cruising.

We do hear these reports in the UK, but so much uncertainty. That news does not bode well for the QV World Cruise either....  so Cunard have big decisions to make. 

Roll on the vaccine ! 

You're most welcome!

Today's news is that the ban on cruise ships has officially been extended until 17th September, 2021; the ban can legally only be made for three months at a time so the date doesn't mean cruises will resume shortly after that date, and the ban can be extended as 17th September draws closer.

Also today, the PM is reported as saying that the borders won't be 'thrown open' to the rest of the world all at once but will happen in a step-wise fashion; government seems to favour the forming of travel bubbles with individual countries first and opening our borders slowly that way. We have one with New Zealand and the government favours forming one next with Singapore (I have no idea why Singapore - it must have more to do with business travel than tourism) but that that won't be occurring 'any time soon' in the PM's own words.

It seems that our summer cruise season (October - March) for 2021/2022 will not happen, especially if it were to involve world cruises. There is huge doubt over whether there will even be a local cruise season for Australia and New Zealand only.

Vaccination rates in Victoria have improved vastly in the last couple of weeks but only because we are having an outbreak (source - hotel quarantine) of both kappa and delta variants. Federal government is allowing us more vaccines here and also the outbreak seems to have overcome the vaccine-resistance of many people who previously felt it wasn't necessary for them/too risky. Melbourne will be easing out of lockdown from midnight tonight. 

It doesn't look good for cruising!