Cunard Extends No Cruising. Is Hal next?

aliaschief

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thanks for sharing.  If HAL follows suit it could end my November cruise.

It might not affect your cruise   🤞 - IIRC you’re not doing a TA, Med or Europe 😉 

However if HAL follows suit, it will affect our November TA.  We are prepared for the possibility.  Actually I’m only partially prepared as I am optimist but DH is pretty negative about it happening or happening in a manner that we would be comfortable.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

With further reading Cunard may be sailing local cruises but the cancellations appear to be international cruises.

Yes, they can do "local" cruises out of Southampton.   Did you see the announcement?

We are/were booked for a crossing on July 6, boohoo!

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/cunard-extends-pause-operations-and-confirms-itinerary-changes

While we would love to cruise sometime this year, I just don't think its in the cards. We may find the conditions unacceptable, so we are not even looking at any 2021 bookings. They only thing we are considering is a possible DIY land trip in Europe during the 4th Quarter. But even for that we are not going to do any serious planning until the summer so we can sort out the Covid Conditions at that time. One of the deal breakers for the DW, is that she does not want to have to wear a mask on any long distance flights. She has a problem with breathing and wearing them for more than a couple of hours. 

2 hours ago, sagavista said:

Since HAL ships are registered in the Netherlands maybe they can do cruises between the dutch islands of the Caribbean: St. Maarten, Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire?  It's an idea!  

And some of these ports of call were noted don’t presently  visit by CID. I believe Aruba and St. Lucia were noted.☹️
Who knows?

Edited by aliaschief

12 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I read that too, but they were talking about Caribbean cruises which aren't scheduled until October 2021.

Which makes sense since HAL does not cruise the Caribbean From mid April until mid Oct in a "normal" year anyway.

23 hours ago, aliaschief said:

image.jpeg.97a61feaf35451feda4575b7ad63be1d.jpeg

No surprise since...

"Germany declares a Covid ‘third wave’ has begun; Italy set for Easter lockdown"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/12/germany-declares-a-covid-third-wave-has-begun-italy-set-for-easter-lockdown.html

The UK variant now represents 46% of the cases in Germany. 40% in Ontario. Do you know what's the proportion in your state? 🙄

Last heard in February, the vax-resistant variant had reached 12% in New York...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/health/variants-coronavirus-new-york-city/index.html

Yes, domestic cruises could resume. But, it will just be a token. MSC has been operating just one ship out of Italy. How many times will you board a cruise to nowhere? On a ship with tight safety protocols?

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Which makes sense since HAL does not cruise the Caribbean From mid April until mid Oct in a "normal" year anyway.

A prediction from a very foggy crystal ball:  HAL will be sailing itineraries that will be quite unique for HAL to sail for awhile until cruising regains its "sea legs".  

And, HAL will not be alone in this "new era" of cruising.