Need hotel area recommendations in Sydney

I will be going to Sydney next April. I need advice in which area is best to book a hotel.  I'm thinking that maybe the rocks, circular quay or darling harbour. Want to make sure there are restaurants and good transportation.

Thank you

Circular Quay and the Rocks are good for transport (train, city light rail, and ferries) and restaurants but can be expensive.

Another less expensive option is the south end of the central city, near Central Station, which has trains and the light rail, and good Asian eateries. 

• Like 1

How long and how much?

The rocks is the premium place to stay.

Darling harbour is a lot cheaper but has some issues.

Barangaroo is next to darling harbour and is in the middle of everything.

Do you have a preferred hotel chain?

When we visit Sydney we stay at the Great Southern in George St. Its an old style pub that is close to Central. The rooms are clean and comfortable and reasonably priced the restaurant serves good pub grub with generous serves that are good value. Darling harbor and Barangaroo are within walking distance and we have often walked to CQ from there. Would be worth having a look at.

Edited by ozziepost
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ozziepost said:

When we visit Sydney we stay at the Great Southern in George St. Its an old style pub that is close to Central. The rooms are clean and comfortable and reasonably priced the restaurant serves good pub grub with generous serves that are good value. Darling harbor and Barangaroo are within walking distance and we have often walked to CQ from there. Would be worth having a look at.

Nothing wrong Haymarket if you are looking for value,the transport hub of sydney 

Thank you for your responses. We will be flying in 5 days pre cruise. We like clean hotels, breakfast included, not tired rooms, also in USA terms 4 stars.  Of course we are not going to pay $400 per night but there are some that fit the bill. We enjoy Hop on Hop off and tours so easy access to these.  When we travel we stay in city center near restaurants and other easy to access tourist areas. 😁

As a general rule the closer you are to the harbour the more you are going to pay.  There are many good hotels / self catering apartments in the centre and southern part of the city with easy access to public transport to Circular Quay.  Be sure to include a day trip across the harbour over to Manly on the iconic Manly Ferry with a walk to Shelley Beach and fish and chips by the ocean.  Sydney is a spectacular city, I’m sure you will love her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

And the ferry over to watsons bay, lunch at the pub or doyles. parramatta river cat is also great.

WBH_LyndenFoss_088-LR.thumb.jpeg.e1040de10fb6f837ce76ef6d00603f23.jpeg

Or Doyle’s at the pub, same grub less $$$. Not that I am tight mind you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Or Doyle’s at the pub, same grub less $$$. Not that I am tight mind you.

As I said, Doyles or the pub.  Last time I went to Doyles with my wife, they had a seniors lunch on, chowder, fish and chips and glass of house white, $35, that is reasonable. But sure if you hit the main menu, can cost $50 for a plate of fish and $150 for the sea food platter.

18 hours ago, ozziepost said:

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Nothing wrong Haymarket if you are looking for value,the transport hub of sydney 

This area is Chinatown with a mass of restaurants to choose from, and the Great Southern is also our choice of hotel. Price is reasonable, very close to Darling Harbour, light rail at front door will take you right to the Rocks area and Circular Quay for your choice of ferry destinations anywhere in the vast harbour. Close walk to Central railway station for train to/from the international/domestic airports.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I always eat Sole, chips and salad at Doyles on the Pier, whilst watching the ferries come and go. Inexpensive!

Depends what you call inexpensive. I am a dinosaur who has been living in the country for 15 years. I think $30 for a main course is expensive. $20-$25 is OK. For dinner I am talking about. Not the $10 lunches the clubs put on to get the pensioners into to play the pokies and drink booze. But they don't, they have the $10 meals and drink water.😆

Edited by NSWP

Don’t know if it counts but just had lunch at the Rissole, Honey Prawns and Satay Chook, about $22. So don’t overlook a club or pub for a cheap meal, tonight they had a surf and turf with choice of sauces for $23, tempted to head back down, but full from lunch.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Don’t know if it counts but just had lunch at the Rissole, Honey Prawns and Satay Chook, about $22. So don’t overlook a club or pub for a cheap meal, tonight they had a surf and turf with choice of sauces for $23, tempted to head back down, but full from lunch.

22$ for a lunch sounds a bit too much to me. I more used to lunch for like 7-10 dollars, like Subway kind of lunch - not too expensive but that will keep me nergized for a long period of time 

22 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

22$ for a lunch sounds a bit too much to me. I more used to lunch for like 7-10 dollars, like Subway kind of lunch - not too expensive but that will keep me nergized for a long period of time 

That was for both of us.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

That was for both of us.

Went to the fish markets the other week.

I think I counted 6 costumers in the place lots of specials.

Lobster with the extras $35

I had the seafood mix for $17 and I had trouble eating it.
The usually suspects Fish &chips ,calamari ,couple of mussels ,baby octopus.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Depends what you call inexpensive. I am a dinosaur who has been living in the country for 15 years. I think $30 for a main course is expensive. $20-$25 is OK. For dinner I am talking about. Not the $10 lunches the clubs put on to get the pensioners into to play the pokies and drink booze. But they don't, they have the $10 meals and drink water.😆

I used to pay $20, but price now is $22.90.  I think $20 is inexpensive for a delicious whole sole which covers the plate, salad and chips.  I agree $30 for a main course is expensive.  I like the atmosphere on the wharf overlooking the water.

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I used to pay $20, but price now is $22.90.  I think $20 is inexpensive for a delicious whole sole which covers the plate, salad and chips.  I agree $30 for a main course is expensive.  I like the atmosphere on the wharf overlooking the water.

Sounds good, that would be for lunch, more for dinner. I am not  a  big luncher, prefer dinner, as i like a couple of wines and dont drink before 5pm, self enforcement.

Have you been to the big Currumbin RSL recently? Upmarket now, $35 to $40 a main meal.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

That was for both of us.

Special lunch to get the  people into the  club to drink and play pokies lol. All the clubs down here have those lunch meals, $10 or $12. But i am not a lunch person. I like to eat at a club or restaurant in the evening. Which i do a couple of times a week.

Some of these country clubs out west of nsw where i have been in past months want $40 for a steak. Sydney prices. A couple of restaurants down here charge that too.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Special lunch to get the  people into the  club to drink and play pokies lol. All the clubs down here have those lunch meals, $10 or $12. But i am not a lunch person. I like to eat at a club or restaurant in the evening. Which i do a couple of times a week.

Some of these country clubs out west of nsw where i have been in past months want $40 for a steak. Sydney prices. A couple of restaurants down here charge that too.

We had s-ent the day looking for a bed for the spare room, went to visit mum and dad and Mrs G said how about a late lunch at the club. Pretty much their normal pricing, in the past got a rice too, but found that was way to much.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We had s-ent the day looking for a bed for the spare room, went to visit mum and dad and Mrs G said how about a late lunch at the club. Pretty much their normal pricing, in the past got a rice too, but found that was way to much.

What you cooking for dinner then old son?