The Daily for Sunday Mar 14, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Exactly where we are right now 6141. But, like I said earlier, I am strongly considering changing to an aft Vista on the same deck. Only thing I’m concerned about is the movement after Boston down the coast to Florida. 

This will be my third New England/Canada itinerary and DH’s second. I’m excited about the new ports including Saint John. 

We  found  it  was  always  rocky  in  the  North  and  South  Carolina  waters  when  we  did  a  few  cruises  from  Ne  York  to  Bermuda. I  am  trying  to  talk  DH  into  this  cruise now!    Terry

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Seahorse99 said:

Thanks to everyone for posting their photos and recollections of Juneau. I was there once on HAL and once on Celebrity. HAL was better. Anyway, the photos and recollections brought back happy memories of the Mendenhall glacier and the whale watching excursion. We saw orcas, dolphins, otters, and a bear. 

On my Alaskan cruises I have seen bears, but as I live in Durango that is really not something I can get excited about. My goal when at home is not to see one. The picture attached is from about 3 years ago when I was just starting out on an early morning walk with dogs. Dogs were not even bothered by this sight. I  I did see a wolf in Alaska and found that exciting.

004.JPG

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We  found  it  was  always  rocky  in  the  North  and  South  Carolina  waters  when  we  did  a  few  cruises  from  Ne  York  to  Bermuda. I  am  trying  to  talk  DH  into  this  cruise now!    Terry

Good to know!  I think we will stay right where we are then. Thanks Terry. Let us know if you book. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

1390587978_image0-2021-03-14T094240_339.thumb.jpeg.e2f296dab5170d997acfb308382ecd6d.jpeg

I love this.  Hate to bust your bubble but I changed my stove time last night.  Piece of cake.  The car always waits but I usually finally hit the buttons as it throws me off 😉 😝 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

@Sharon in AZ

We have done the Quebec City to FLL cruise. DH has trouble with excess motion. Boston to FLL was no problem. We did hit a storm up near PEI and could not dock. Spent a day trying to find shelter on the west side of Cape Breton Island. Once that system passed, seas were very calm from Halifax to FLL. We have done an aft Vista Suite on the Koningsdam in the very middle of the aft suites. Motion was minimal and we loved it. Would book one of those aft Vista suites in a NY minute.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

On my Alaskan cruises I have seen bears, but as I live in Durango that is really not something I can get excited about. My goal when at home is not to see one. The picture attached is from about 3 years ago when I was just starting out on an early morning walk with dogs. Dogs were not even bothered by this sight. I  I did see a wolf in Alaska and found that exciting.

004.JPG

As long as the deer don’t hire body guards or vice versa.   Double trouble 😉 

656FEAB0-E045-41F2-8A08-F7642348FDFD.thumb.jpeg.9754e73328287e9cc9134eee7a2f1cd9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

I have had the pleasure to have been to Juneau, AK multiple times; my fav restaurant is El Sombrero on Franklin Street, walking distance from the first two berths. Yeah, I know, Mexican in Juneau, AK. loco! 😉 On one of our visits I was told there was a grizzly bear standing behind me but he didn't bother me for some reason............ 

John 2011 Statendam #2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

@richwmn and @rafinmdthanks for the daily reports and lists, and thanks to everyone for the photos and humour.

Have been back home after our few day away, catching up with "life", finally managed to get back to Cruise Critic, today, then we were invited  out for lunch.  

We have been to Juneau,  during our first cruise when we flew from Auckland to Vancouver to board the Volendam, for 7 days, to see if we would like cruising.  Yes, so two years later boarded the  Volendam for the last cruise of the season, which included Juneau, plus the Trans Pacific.  Very pleasant not having the long flight home.  

Keep well and stay safe everyone.

• Like 17

P1020178.thumb.jpg.6d274201625ae8e2c809ee881ad7c32a.jpg

Good evening!

Juneau - a port we have visited 17 times (yes, you read that right). 4 were on Princess and 13 on Holladn America. We also have 3 booked for this summer (1 on Princess and two on Holland) but we'll see if that works. We live north of Seattle so Alaska cruising is ideal. It's 90 minutes to the port and so easy for us with DH's mobility issues. 

In Juneua we've done almost everything. We've been to Mendenhall a couple of times, done the Tracy Arm excursion, I did the Mount Robert's Tram, and we did whale watching 2 years ago - it was a small group excursion and we had a great time. 

Most of the time we just like to get off ship and wander. DH uses a scooter (which we rent and have delivered to the cabin) and we've put a lot of miles on them. We've been to the Governor's Mansion and the Juneau/Douglas museum. The new Alaska State Museum is wonderful. We've walked out to the whale statue and back. I have a few shops I like to visit including the popcorn one (my mom, who is now 94 loves for me to bring her back popcorn) and Trove as well as the local Ben Franklin and book store. 

One year we arrived on the 4th of July and saw the parade from the balcony! We've been there in rain, clouds, sun, and heat. We really enjoy it! 

Karen

The photos are a view from the Amsterdam, 
P1020412.thumb.jpg.8252d6e3f84fd92bb98685ba7c20ddbd.jpg

The Whale Statue

P1020421.thumb.jpg.5cdcef2419185678a316a31fd920c862.jpg

Whale watching (our boat was much smaller than the one you see here

P1020184.thumb.jpg.829f29a377d390eb59724c77c90da938.jpg

Mount Roberts Tramway. P1020162.thumb.jpg.b4c7e0378cd07b96de99af264f93a5e4.jpg

P1020412.jpg

P1020421.jpg

Edited by luvteaching
  • Like 18

22 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@richwmn and @rafinmdthanks for the daily reports and lists, and thanks to everyone for the photos and humour.

Have been back home after our few day away, catching up with "life", finally managed to get back to Cruise Critic, today, then we were invited  out for lunch.  

We have been to Juneau,  during our first cruise when we flew from Auckland to Vancouver to board the Volendam, for 7 days, to see if we would like cruising.  Yes, so two years later boarded the  Volendam for the last cruise of the season, which included Juneau, plus the Trans Pacific.  Very pleasant not having the long flight home.  

Keep well and stay safe everyone.

🌺Oh erewhon I missed you ! So glad your back! Our Roy was right and I am glad you got on CC. Was going to post America’s Cup that just started and was hoping if any word from you! Hope you had a great time . Weather looks good and team New Zealand Were routing for!

Have a good day erewhon!

NZL’S ship is beautiful 

Denise😊

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisepucks said:

@Sharon in AZ

We have done the Quebec City to FLL cruise. DH has trouble with excess motion. Boston to FLL was no problem. We did hit a storm up near PEI and could not dock. Spent a day trying to find shelter on the west side of Cape Breton Island. Once that system passed, seas were very calm from Halifax to FLL. We have done an aft Vista Suite on the Koningsdam in the very middle of the aft suites. Motion was minimal and we loved it. Would book one of those aft Vista suites in a NY minute.

Was it in October?  I might just change my mind. It was DH who was against it because I am the one who gets queasy, but I really think we would see so much more scenery. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Oh erewhon I missed you ! So glad your back! Our Roy was right and I am glad you got on CC. Was going to post America’s Cup that just started and was hoping if any word from you! Hope you had a great time . Weather looks good and team New Zealand Were routing for!

Have a good day erewhon!

NZL’S ship is beautiful 

Denise😊

Thanks for your kind message.

The race is very tense!!

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Nice to have you back, @erewhon!  Hope you had a nice break and were not bothered by the earthquake?

We had a nice break, caught up with friends and relatives.

Here in the south, we were not bothered by the earthquake.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for your kind message.

The race is very tense!!

It is amazing!! Far cry from when we saw it back in 2001!!

NZL her yacht is beautiful!

I was so worried about you and the earthquake! So happy your fine my friend! Thinking of you whale right now watching the race!

Your Kiwi in spirit friend!

Denise 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Now to wait for the second race of the day.

🌺Yup!!!! Was like watching something on SYFY! The aerodynamics of these sleek racing yachts  are unbelievable! 
I’m ready! Team NZL is awesome 

Helsman is speaking. I so miss the kiwi’s 

speaking. I am ready to race in my kayak! LOL😳

D😊

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This has been a bittersweet week for us.  Our last granddog crossed the Rainbow Bridge Tuesday.  She was with her people (our DD and her SO) at home and was helped across by a vet who made house calls. 

So sorry to hear about Molly 😔 It’s so hard to lose a fur baby that has given so much love for so many years ♥️ 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cat shepard said:

We need to get a definition of “a few days” from now on. We probably each define it differently. I am a bit worried about @Ichiban Nekko. It has been awhile. I have at least seen reactions from @gigianne, so she is well. Most likely just busy. 

@cat shepard  You are beyond thoughtful! Bless you. Who knew retirement could be so busy? In a pandemic? I try to read the thread each day, but my list today starts with yesterday's. BTW: both jabs done last month! So hoping we can see some friends again. In person. But don't want to rush. We have been careful and COVID-free thus far and want that to continue!

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Was it in October?  I might just change my mind. It was DH who was against it because I am the one who gets queasy, but I really think we would see so much more scenery. 

If you are prone to seasickness, buy some Bonine tablets at the pharmacy.  Or buy the generic brand meclizine 25 mg because it's much cheaper and you will have enough for your cruise plus several more cruises.  They don't make you sleepy like Dramamine does.  They are sold in the same area as the Dramamine.  I buy them for when I cruise with other family members who may get seasick, usually DD and grandkids.  I've only taken one a couple of times when the Captain tells us ahead of time that seas will be 20 or 30 feet high, just in case.  Once seasickness hits, it takes medications longer to gain control of your tummy, so I've been told.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If you are prone to seasickness, buy some Bonine tablets at the pharmacy.  Or buy the generic brand meclizine 25 mg because it's much cheaper and you will have enough for your cruise plus several more cruises.  They don't make you sleepy like Dramamine does.  They are sold in the same area as the Dramamine.  I buy them for when I cruise with other family members who may get seasick, usually DD and grandkids.  I've only taken one a couple of times when the Captain tells us ahead of time that seas will be 20 or 30 feet high, just in case.  Once seasickness hits, it takes medications longer to gain control of your tummy, so I've been told.  

This is exactly what I use. On our very first cruise we met a Navy Chaplain who recommended Bonine. I use it daily on every cruise and it really does help, and I try to start taking it a few days early so it is in my system. 

• Like 3