P&O vaccine update - both jabs required

Stu UK

32 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Quite a few of us still have the old flip top doro pay as you go type phones,£10 or £20 a year,very cheap and does the job.

Whilst I understand the reluctance to switch phones, a basic sim free smartphone only costs around £30, so you can continue using your cheap payg tariff,  but get all the benefits of internet connection.

In the scale of things, I don't think that is a lot to pay for a modern phone, that will enable you take and share photos, and, most importantly, be able to monitor Cruise Critic when you are out and about, wifi availability permitting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's simple given latest news of delay , 95% of over 50s will be vaccinated  with two doses. Not much chance of under 50s. 

So basically p&O just needs to look at date of birth. 

Other wise  , One large group of Under 50s vaccinated will either work in NHS or care system easy to prove.

I'm not sure how easy to prove it will be for the front desk staff that work in the independent healthcare sector like private physios, chiropractors, osteopaths etc as we don't have a way to prove that. If someone turned me away based solely on my date of birth even though I will have had both vaccines by April, I'd be fuming. 

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I have a basic cheapo smartphone that I use as PAYG and have never used it for wi-fi and wouldnt know where to start and if I did it would have to be somewhere that has free wi-fi.

Do you not connect to the internet at home via wifi?

3 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Given that everyone will be in the same position, they'll have to come up with a reasonable solution. 

And as international travel might be able to restart well before P&O do, there'll have to be some sort of system in place to prove vaccination by then. 

I really don't think it's anything to be worried about. 

You're not booking anyway are you? 

But it's not international travel so doesn't have to be internationally agreed. It just has to be something that's easy to access and difficult to forge. Forgeries will happen, but I don't think that's going to be wide spread to get onto a cruise. Especially as they haven't announced it yet so the forgers can't get busy with the printers / apps / handwritten letter from the GP/ microchip that has already been injected into all of us that have had the vaccine. 

Discussions about this have been going on for as long as Covid has been around so there are going to be some 'behind the scenes' decisions being made. P&O may or may not know have been involved with them and can't talk about it yet because a final decision hasn't been made.  I'm happy to trust that there's something in the pipe line that will be easy to deal with. 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Whilst I understand the reluctance to switch phones, a basic sim free smartphone only costs around £30, so you can continue using your cheap payg tariff,  but get all the benefits of internet connection.

In the scale of things, I don't think that is a lot to pay for a modern phone, that will enable you take and share photos, and, most importantly, be able to monitor Cruise Critic when you are out and about, wifi availability permitting!

I didn't realize that,so just to clarify,your saying i can get a basic smartphone(£30-ish)and put my sim card in it and top up with £10 for the next year and no additional charges?An extra £30 as a one off seems ok.

1 hour ago, sallybunny said:

But it's not international travel so doesn't have to be internationally agreed. It just has to be something that's easy to access and difficult to forge. Forgeries will happen, but I don't think that's going to be wide spread to get onto a cruise. Especially as they haven't announced it yet so the forgers can't get busy with the printers / apps / handwritten letter from the GP/ microchip that has already been injected into all of us that have had the vaccine. 

Discussions about this have been going on for as long as Covid has been around so there are going to be some 'behind the scenes' decisions being made. P&O may or may not know have been involved with them and can't talk about it yet because a final decision hasn't been made.  I'm happy to trust that there's something in the pipe line that will be easy to deal with. 

What I meant was, something will probably have to be in place prior to international travel starting up. That will be before these cruises take place. Therefore, that same thing that is used to prove vaccination for international travel should also be able to be used for the summer cruises. 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I bought a low cost smartphone and it works very well, but not for texting. I moved the SIM from my Doro PAYG, fine so far but my old hands really do not like having to text with a touchscreen so after trying it out the SIM is back in the Doro with its huge pensioner proof buttons. I now carry two phones, the Doro for phone and texts and the other one for the online browsing etc which of course you can use any nearby accessible WiFi hub for

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

I didn't realize that,so just to clarify,your saying i can get a basic smartphone(£30-ish)and put my sim card in it and top up with £10 for the next year and no additional charges?An extra £30 as a one off seems ok.

Yes, that is what I did but Which think my smartphone is rubbish but if you don't play games or watch video on it that does not matter 

• Thanks 1

My Smartphone was an absolute godsend in the hospital.  Apart from making calls home and looking at emails from friends, I was able to listen to the radio through headphones and even watch something on the Beeb, all for nothing as there is free wifi in the NHS.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

My Smartphone was an absolute godsend in the hospital.  Apart from making calls home and looking at emails from friends, I was able to listen to the radio through headphones and even watch something on the Beeb, all for nothing as there is free wifi in the NHS.

All these helpfull hints and tips,i'm going to give it a go,shopping tomorrow............oh,hang on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

All these helpfull hints and tips,i'm going to give it a go,shopping tomorrow............oh,hang on.

Argos is your friend! Buy and pay online and collect instore.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

You could have checked your notifications Jean😁 better than counting sheep

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

yes on a laptop but not on my phone. 

So, you can connect your smartphone to your wifi and download the NHS for free.

Go to 'settings' 'network & internet' 'wifi'

Edited by wowzz

3 hours ago, cloud_nine said:

I'm not sure how easy to prove it will be for the front desk staff that work in the independent healthcare sector like private physios, chiropractors, osteopaths etc as we don't have a way to prove that. If someone turned me away based solely on my date of birth even though I will have had both vaccines by April, I'd be fuming. 

Surely  your employer  could write a letter ,  you can print out your vaccination record , coupled with your vaccination card this will be proof enough. 

My youngest daughter (52) has just been contacted by our doctor. She has an appointment for her first jab on 25th March, and also for her 2nd on June 17th. When Frank and I had ours we were told they would contact us in 10 to 12 weeks for our 2nd. Strange🤔

Avril

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My youngest daughter (52) has just been contacted by our doctor. She has an appointment for her first jab on 25th March, and also for her 2nd on June 17th. When Frank and I had ours we were told they would contact us in 10 to 12 weeks for our 2nd. Strange🤔

Avril

We booked our jabs through the NHS app and booked both the first and second dates.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

My husband is due his 2nd jab first week of April.  I asked the surgery yesterday about it and they said if we haven't heard by first week of April, then to call them of 119.

I am due to have my second jab the weekend they phoned me up asked for my nhs number and booked me in

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We booked our jabs through the NHS app and booked both the first and second dates.

It was the doctor at our local surgery that contacted her that's what's odd. I'm jealous really because we don't know when ours will be😁

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

31 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Surely  your employer  could write a letter ,  you can print out your vaccination record , coupled with your vaccination card this will be proof enough. 

Is that a foolproof way of doing it ?