Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

21 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Any U.K. residents would be eligible if fit criteria, but if they vaccinated non U.K. residents via the NHS, certain newspapers will go apoplectic. 

I guess the pictures on social media and the video that was played to us in the MSC Virtuosa theatre along with the Cruise Director thanking the NHS staff in Southampton all weren't true then.......!!

No idea about P&O, but I can assure you that a mass vaccination day did take place for the Virtuosa crew. If they've been able to arrange it, I don't see why other cruise lines haven't. With all the guidelines put in place by the government for the staycations, I'm sure an arrangement was made to get as many crew vaccinated as possible.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I guess the pictures on social media and the video that was played to us in the MSC Virtuosa theatre along with the Cruise Director thanking the NHS staff in Southampton all weren't true then.......!!

No idea about P&O, but I can assure you that a mass vaccination day did take place for the Virtuosa crew. If they've been able to arrange it, I don't see why other cruise lines haven't. With all the guidelines put in place by the government for the staycations, I'm sure an arrangement was made to get as many crew vaccinated as possible.

The UK government can always say it was done to help foreign countries efforts at vaccinating their population.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I do believe MSC have been vaccinating their staff as they had some press releases about it last month.  I don’t believe it was with NHS vaccine though.  
MSC said they were working with government authorities, I assume within their own country, so they may well have sourced vaccine from outside of the UK. 
it is quite possible that staff employed by the NHS were invited to do additional paid work on behalf of MSC.  Just like they can take additional hours at a vaccine centre. 

The whole world needs to be vaccinated, so every vaccine administered helps us all. 

Cruise lines have been vaccinating staff at the Ports in the USA too.  

Not so easy for P&O as we, in the UK, quite rightly, adopted a strict timetable and priority list for vaccines.  That said as we move to the younger age groups there will probably be additional AZ doses available to be used, that could be used for foreign nationals working here.  I am sure as soon as vaccine is available, with no queue jumping, P&O will be making plans to vaccinate their crews.  
As so many crew come from countries in dire need of help during this pandemic, if that plays a part and opens up access to vaccines destined for overseas?  It is just administered here rather than their home country? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

The UK government can always say it was done to help foreign countries efforts at vaccinating their population.

I missed your post there, but was thinking the same thing but trying to phase it in a non contentious way.  Everyone needs it after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

This is good to know, especially as we have booked a Virtuosos cruise from Liverpool towards the end of June.  I hope the other cruise lines are able to do the same, after all it is for the benefit of the cruise passengers, but also the rest of the UK.

It was very good that the cruise line was prepared to think outside the box and run some cruises from Liverpool and Greenock.  As much as we would not normally travel on a ship of such a size, the embarkation port was just too good to miss and the balcony for price of an inside helped as well.  A shame Carnival are not prepared to do similar.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tring said:

This is good to know, especially as we have booked a Virtuosos cruise from Liverpool towards the end of June.  I hope the other cruise lines are able to do the same, after all it is for the benefit of the cruise passengers, but also the rest of the UK.

It was very good that the cruise line was prepared to think outside the box and run some cruises from Liverpool and Greenock.  As much as we would not normally travel on a ship of such a size, the embarkation port was just too good to miss and the balcony for price of an inside helped as well.  A shame Carnival are not prepared to do similar.

Hopefully, if the regional cruises booked up as quick as the Southampton ones, the big lines might realise that there is indeed life outside of Southampton, and that people may be prepared to pay a premium not to have to travel hundreds of miles for a cruise.  3000 Pax paying say just £50-100pp more set off on their cruise locally instead of from Southampton can surely not be ignored.  If I had a choice of 2 cruises, and one was local, one was S/ton, I would be happy paying £100 more for the local one as would save me time and money. 

1 hour ago, davemorton said:

Hopefully, if the regional cruises booked up as quick as the Southampton ones, the big lines might realise that there is indeed life outside of Southampton, and that people may be prepared to pay a premium not to have to travel hundreds of miles for a cruise.  3000 Pax paying say just £50-100pp more set off on their cruise locally instead of from Southampton can surely not be ignored.  If I had a choice of 2 cruises, and one was local, one was S/ton, I would be happy paying £100 more for the local one as would save me time and money. 

Errrr........   Why should they be charging more? 

What about the cruises that go north from Southampton, so they are traveling less distance to go to the Baltic, Fjords, Iceland as well as also being a shorter route to Greenland and North America, if considering a similar latitude etc.  That in my books should make the cruises cheaper as they will be using considerably less fuel.  I would pay more for a better cruise line though.

I would not say the fly Med cruises are more expensive, yet they include the price of flights with P&O and it has got to be said they are considerably more convenient as a short flight from a local airport replaces 2 or three days at sea and often not in the best sea conditions either.  We did very well with a one week Azamara autumn 2019 with ports every day and we were able to combine with short hotel stays in Barcelona and Rome as well.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, tring said:

What about the cruises that go north from Southampton, so they are traveling less distance to go to the Baltic, Fjords, Iceland as well as also being a shorter route to Greenland and North America, if considering a similar latitude etc.  That in my books should make the cruises cheaper as they will be using considerably less fuel.  I would pay more for a better cruise line though.

I would not say the fly Med cruises are more expensive, yet they include the price of flights with P&O and it has got to be said they are considerably more convenient as a short flight from a local airport replaces 2 or three days at sea and often not in the best sea conditions either.  We did very well with a one week Azamara autumn 2019 with ports every day and we were able to combine with short hotel stays in Barcelona and Rome as well.

For those who like flying, and can fly, then a charter fly cruise with P&O is ideal, but many of us no longer enjoy flying, and many others can no longer fly.

9 hours ago, tring said:

Agree on the fly cruises, which is our preferred option, less sea days, which I dislike, more port days. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Most of my cruises have been fly cruises and we have in the past been relatively frequent flyers for a variety of reasons.  In fact, DH's job used to involve him flying out to some European place on a Monday and back home on a Friday every week - sometimes he would stay over and I would go out to join him if it was somewhere I liked.  But, the older I get and the more hassle it seems to be going through an airport, the less inclined I am to fly so often and so the greater interest I have in cruises from our own shores, despite the Bay of Biscay!

I agree that more cruises from ports other than Southampton would be good.  Fred do cruises out of Liverpool, but that's one line I have not been tempted to try; not sure why though.  Next month on a Celebrity cruise, we will have the joy of visiting Liverpool and taking a ship's tour if we want to get off, which we do.  Liverpool Pier Head is just over 15 miles from my home!  

I'm sure if it is economically viable, then more lines will use Liverpool, Newcastle, etc, but it will come down to profit, as seemingly does virtually everything.  I really hope that MSC, Disney and any other lines that are offering sailings out of places other than Southampton find it a successful venture they wish to repeat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

I do believe MSC have been vaccinating their staff as they had some press releases about it last month.  I don’t believe it was with NHS vaccine though.  
MSC said they were working with government authorities, I assume within their own country, so they may well have sourced vaccine from outside of the UK. 
it is quite possible that staff employed by the NHS were invited to do additional paid work on behalf of MSC.  Just like they can take additional hours at a vaccine centre. 

The whole world needs to be vaccinated, so every vaccine administered helps us all. 

Cruise lines have been vaccinating staff at the Ports in the USA too.  

Not so easy for P&O as we, in the UK, quite rightly, adopted a strict timetable and priority list for vaccines.  That said as we move to the younger age groups there will probably be additional AZ doses available to be used, that could be used for foreign nationals working here.  I am sure as soon as vaccine is available, with no queue jumping, P&O will be making plans to vaccinate their crews.  
As so many crew come from countries in dire need of help during this pandemic, if that plays a part and opens up access to vaccines destined for overseas?  It is just administered here rather than their home country? 

If you google, there are quite a few stories about MSC crew being vaccinated, however they do say that MSC have declined to disclose where they sourced their vaccines from. It honestly doesn't bother me where they were sourced from, whether it was NHS or not. Ultimately it's been done to protect both the crew and the passengers, who are all UK based. These cruises have been able to start up because of the legislation the government has come up with for the cruise lines to adhere to to ensure everyone's safety, and because there is a huge amount of people wanting to get back to cruising. I think it's fantastic.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tring said:

I have just this minute seen on FB a copy of the letter given to passengers currently onboard the Virtuosa stating that due to Scottish legislation, they will no longer be able to stop at Greenock (think it is due tomorrow or the next day) for passengers to either embark or disembark. Feel so sorry for anyone who is losing their holiday due to this at such short notice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I have just this minute seen on FB a copy of the letter given to passengers currently onboard the Virtuosa stating that due to Scottish legislation, they will no longer be able to stop at Greenock (think it is due tomorrow or the next day) for passengers to either embark or disembark. Feel so sorry for anyone who is losing their holiday due to this at such short notice.

I have just seen that on a blog which someone is kindly doing live from the current cruise and sounds like the whole stop is cancelled, not just the disembarkations/embarkations.  The ship was due due in Greenock tomorrow and is in Liverpool today, so perhaps people who were due to disembark there will get off in Liverpool and be bussed to Greenock.  The ship may stay in Liverpool overnight or perhaps even return tomorrow.     

I had sent a FB message to Fred at the end of last week about his planned visits to Scottish ports in August (possibly late July as well).  I had an answer yesterday which said they have not had their calls agreed yet.  They are largely to ports to the Islands and no Scotish turn arounds are planned as he cancelled them some time back.

We are due on a sailing ship (tall ship) cruise which involves a Scottish port in late July and the ship is first due to dock in Scotland on 6th July, so getting a bit tight for that, especially as it has a few cruises being done there, including using Leith and Greenock as turn around ports.  We would still go on the ship for any re scheduled itineraries though as it is the experience of going on a tall ship that is the great appeal.  With bubbled tours only, you would not think a one day call would be a problem, though risks would be much greater for turn arounds. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

That’s a shame, but it’s an indication of what cruising will be like in the Covid era.

Those people that want to cruise will have to get used to sudden changes  at short / almost no notice 

• Like 7

If you google, there are quite a few stories about MSC crew being vaccinated, however they do say that MSC have declined to disclose where they sourced their vaccines from. It honestly doesn't bother me where they were sourced from, whether it was NHS or not. Ultimately it's been done to protect both the crew and the passengers, who are all UK based. These cruises have been able to start up because of the legislation the government has come up with for the cruise lines to adhere to to ensure everyone's safety, and because there is a huge amount of people wanting to get back to cruising. I think it's fantastic.

We’ll have to disagree on the point about not being bothered if the vaccine is from the NHS.  With younger members of my extended family being  teachers, fire fighters and in the police service, patiently waiting their “turn”  whilst potentially being exposed to Coronavirus, I think sticking to the published guidelines and priority that we all understand is essential. 

Thankfully, after yesterday’s announcement, 3 are now trying to book ASAP. 

Then I will just have to Nephews and a Niece waiting. The youngest isn’t 18 until September but hoping vaccination won’t be long after that for her. 

• Like 3

How awful for those involved.  I feel so sorry for all of those effected.  I have to be honest, I’ve not kept abreast of Scottish traffic light system, was this a new change to the rules, or we will sail and hope for the best type scenario? 
would those embarking in Greenock have been aware there could be an issue?

Not tempting fate and have good faith on us sailing on the 27th June.  However, would not be shocked if cases continue to climb, in certain areas, if temporary specific Do not travel orders are made.or if P&O decide they do want us to have a PCR test rather than lateral flow before boarding.  Despite all being vaccinated. 

I’m just prepared for the unexpected.

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

We’ll have to disagree on the point about not being bothered if the vaccine is from the NHS.  With younger members of my extended family being  teachers, fire fighters and in the police service, patiently waiting their “turn”  whilst potentially being exposed to Coronavirus, I think sticking to the published guidelines and priority that we all understand is essential. 

Then I will just have to Nephews and a Niece waiting. The youngest isn’t 18 until September but hoping vaccination won’t be long after that for her. 

I didn't mean it to sound as if I wasn't bothered if it turns out that MSC have somehow queue jumped. I honestly don't believe this will be the case though, although to be fair, we'll probably never know.

I'm really surprised that your younger frontline workers haven't been able to take advantage of leftover jabs at vaccination centres, it was my understanding that this is what was generally happening. I know my daughter went a few weeks ago (she is 22) to ask if she could be added to any kind of stand by list in case of people not turning up, and she was told that all of their leftovers were reserved for frontline workers. I hope that they are all able to get booked in soon.

I kind of wish I'd taken a bit more notice of exactly what was said on the video they played us on the Virtuosa showing the staff being vaccinated. I have a terrible memory, so can't remember at all, only that they were very grateful to the NHS and volunteers, and a round of applause was given in the theatre. I know that MSC have been doing good discounts to healthcare workers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I agree. I think it dreadful if MSC crew have taken priority over our front line workers and/or those in their 20s and 30s. I somehow think our teachers and police etc are a far more urgent and deserving case for a vaccination than lots of crew being done in order to allow people to go on a cruise. But I doubt we will ever know.....

I hope your family members do not have to wait for too much longer Pink- Belle.

Gill

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Not tempting fate and have good faith on us sailing on the 27th June.  However, would not be shocked if cases continue to climb, in certain areas, if temporary specific Do not travel orders are made.or if P&O decide they do want us to have a PCR test rather than lateral flow before boarding.  Despite all being vaccinated. 

Please don't say that, I just can't bear the thought of a 9th cruise cancelled. As a PCR test will be paid for by P&O (I'm sure of that as Celebrity are paying for guests, I'm one, to have a PCR test) I think that would be a tiny fly in the ointment. 

34 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I didn't mean it to sound as if I wasn't bothered if it turns out that MSC have somehow queue jumped. I honestly don't believe this will be the case though, although to be fair, we'll probably never know.

I'm really surprised that your younger frontline workers haven't been able to take advantage of leftover jabs at vaccination centres, it was my understanding that this is what was generally happening. I know my daughter went a few weeks ago (she is 22) to ask if she could be added to any kind of stand by list in case of people not turning up, and she was told that all of their leftovers were reserved for frontline workers. I hope that they are all able to get booked in soon.

I kind of wish I'd taken a bit more notice of exactly what was said on the video they played us on the Virtuosa showing the staff being vaccinated. I have a terrible memory, so can't remember at all, only that they were very grateful to the NHS and volunteers, and a round of applause was given in the theatre. I know that MSC have been doing good discounts to healthcare workers.

There may have been a bit of apathy at play 🥴not being judgemental just realistic,  I think all 3 would have more “pushy” had vaccine been available last year.  I am grateful that we live in a relatively low area of infection.  They have been quite happy waiting their turn. 

My brother mid 50’s is a teacher in a school for children and young adults with additional needs, he and his colleagues were called early on, when Groups 4/5 were being vaccinated.  He was literally on his way home when the head called and said if you stop at the vaccine centre in the next 15 minutes there s a jab waiting for you.  Colleagues of all of them have had left over vaccine, but they have all been older. 

one is now booked, another is sending me their NHS number so I can book, apparently it’s a very long online queue.  I don’t mind I’m at my work desk anyway and quite happy looking for distraction 🤣The other, “Yes I will do it, when I am home!” 

20 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Please don't say that, I just can't bear the thought of a 9th cruise cancelled. As a PCR test will be paid for by P&O (I'm sure of that as Celebrity are paying for guests, I'm one, to have a PCR test) I think that would be a tiny fly in the ointment. 

I’m not saying it! I will put the thought from my mind, so I’m not even thinking it.

I’d be okay organising a PCR if it was decided it would be the best way to proceed.  Please just let me on the ship!

• Like 1