Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

3 hours ago, cruisinggrandma57 said:

If you had the virus why do you need the vaccine?  

2 hours ago, cruisinggrandma57 said:

I didn't get the vaccine because I had the virus. The shot is to prevent you from getting it. So why should I have to get the shot to cruise when you don't need the shot to fly.

There isn't an entity in existence that accepts "certificate of recovery" as equal to immunity

I didn't get the vaccine because I had the virus. The shot is to prevent you from getting it. So why should I have to get the shot to cruise when you don't need the shot to fly.

Have you been checked for Antibodies?  Might be a good idea to check them on a regular basis. I’d be interested in finding out how long they last. 

M8

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

But you can look at countries where cruising is planing on restarting for ideas as to what will be needed at minimum. In the end, if the Bahamas require cruise ships that dock to have all passengers 16+ vaccinated, then it doesn't mater if the CDC doesn't require any vaccinations.

The CDC can only add additional restrictions, since the ships have to comply with a the countries that will be docking at.

True but........I don't believe the Caribbean destination Countries will have much say in the matter.  It sounds harsh but they'll probably do whatever the cruise lines say. They really need the money. 

Whether you had the virus is irrelevant as is what an air carrier may require.  If the cruise line requires a vaccination to board then that’s what you’ll have to have.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

True but........I don't believe the Caribbean destination Countries will have much say in the matter.  It sounds harsh but they'll probably do whatever the cruise lines say. They really need the money. 

But think about how many people pick cruises based on going to the cruise line's private island. Some lines like DCL have built up the desire to go to Castaway Cay, that every cruise out of the southern US docks there. Given that most private islans are in the Bahamas, the Bahama's requirements will protect the Carribbean.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

But think about how many people pick cruises based on going to the cruise line's private island. Some lines like DCL have built up the desire to go to Castaway Cay, that every cruise out of the southern US docks there. Given that most private islans are in the Bahamas, the Bahama's requirements will protect the Carribbean.

I know what you're saying and I agree. I just believe that the cruise line's protocols will be far more stringent than any of the Islands'. Currently only a negative PCR test no more than 5 days from arrival is required for entry to the Bahamas........ Children under 10 don't even need that. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There isn't an entity in existence that accepts "certificate of recovery" as equal to immunity

See post #195. Estonia and Iceland consider it equal enough to let those folks into their country. I'm not saying don't get the vaccine, just saying it is something 😇

• Like 1

I believe bottom line is NO VACCINE, NO CRUISING!  If everyone that is on the ship is vaccinated, there can be piece of mind and maybe even  mask aren’t required. I want to cruise, but if everyone isn’t required to have vaccine, even if they’ve had Covid, I don’t want to cruise. Some people claim to have had Covid, but there are different levels, some like seasonal flu, and some bad and required hospitalization. So no vaccine card proving vaccination, no cruising.  

Just now, dennychod said:

I believe bottom line is NO VACCINE, NO CRUISING!  If everyone that is on the ship is vaccinated, there can be piece of mind and maybe even  mask aren’t required. I want to cruise, but if everyone isn’t required to have vaccine, even if they’ve had Covid, I don’t want to cruise. Some people claim to have had Covid, but there are different levels, some like seasonal flu, and some bad and required hospitalization. So no vaccine card proving vaccination, no cruising.  

They can check for antibodies but most don’t. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And that actually quotes the CDC. And they say wear 2 masks. You believe one but not the other?

Actually, yes, I do. I'm not on board (no pun intended) with double or triple masking but I do listen to what the CDC says about everything else when it comes to this pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing is, it doesn’t matter what Estonia and Iceland say.  That argument is as flawed as saying “but Mum, all the other kids are allowed to ........” 

Royal Caribbean  could if they wanted to ban red shoes, or baseball caps and there isn’t a great deal we could do about it.  Their ship, their rules.   

I think P and O are doing the same round the UK.  Fully vaccinated guests only, masks and social distancing.    

MSC you don’t need to be vaccinated for.   Correct me if I am wrong on these points.    I’ve had a long day.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

The thing is, it doesn’t matter what Estonia and Iceland say.  That argument is as flawed as saying “but Mum, all the other kids are allowed to ........” 

First, I don't consider two country government's decisions a good analogy with children's whining arguments. I'm sure they have doctors and scientists advising them the same as we have. 

Second, I brought it up as a scientific point. Regardless of whether or not a vaccine is better/more effective, there must be science to back up that there is some protection from having had the virus or these countries would not be using it as an option. I was merely pointing that out and also countering the "There isn't an entity in existence that accepts "certificate of recovery" as equal" argument by another poster.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, cruisinggrandma57 said:

My grandson had a bout of COVID last fall that lasted over a month. 
He got tested for antibodies last week and they’re just about gone. Some people’s systems keep them longer, but I wouldn’t risk it. 
When Florida drops the age limit in April so he is eligible, he’s getting the vaccine. 
COVID is a bad way to die and the vaccine is free. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Listen to yourself please. On the one hand you're saying get over it but on the other you're on pretty much every single thread here whining about unvaccinated kids still being allowed to cruise. Time for a long look in the mirror. 

I'm not thrilled about kids being on any cruise. But generally the sailings I take have nowhere near some of the crazy levels of kids vs adults as some, so it really is more that there's a certain amusement value in expressing that opinion. 🙂

Nonetheless, with regard to vaccination, I do believe it is potentially a mistake to permit them on with just a negative test. One could possibly also then argue that people unable yet to get a vaccine in their state or country due to how eligibility, availability and the rollout of vaccine doses go, should also be allowed with a negative test. Plus, 16 and 17 year old's are able to be vaccinated if they are eligible, yet Royal Caribbean is allowing them to sail with just a negative test. And we do know that there will be vaccines approved for kids (first 12 and older, then eventually all over 6 months old) in the United States, very likely this calendar year for the 12 and older group, even.

So there are some mixed messages there. But in the bigger scheme of things, it's really the kids more at risk than the vaccinated adults. It's not like I will ever choose to put myself in the vicinity of one or more specific kids for even 5 minutes at a time, let alone the typical 15 minutes/within 6-feet concept of possible exposure. So I'll leave it to the parents to decide whether or not to potentially expose their kids to serious infection just for a vacation. And yes, I worded it that way purposefully, too. 🙂

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 4

On 3/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, cruisinggrandma57 said:

The vaccine is not to prevent your getting COVID. It is possible to still get it. 
The vaccine is to keep you from getting a severe case of it, to keep you from having to be hospitalized, and to keep you from dying from it. 
So far, no one who has received the vaccine has had more than a mild case. 

• Like 4

Vaccination should be an absolute requirement. It is a reasonable demand that can be met even by slow countries like Canada where everyone will have at least one dose by 1 July of this year - except those who refuse to be vaccinated. One dose should be the minimum standard as it ensures that everyone can meet it except those who refuse vaccination for bizare political reasons. And would you want to be at a table with a yahoo who has refused to be vaccinated.?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

I'm not thrilled about kids being on any cruise. But generally the sailings I take have nowhere near some of the crazy levels of kids vs adults as some, so it really is more that there's a certain amusement value in expressing that opinion. 🙂

Nonetheless, with regard to vaccination, I do believe it is potentially a mistake to permit them on with just a negative test. One could possibly also then argue that people unable yet to get a vaccine in their state or country due to how eligibility, availability and the rollout of vaccine doses go, should also be allowed with a negative test. Plus, 16 and 17 year old's are able to be vaccinated if they are eligible, yet Royal Caribbean is allowing them to sail with just a negative test. And we do know that there will be vaccines approved for kids (first 12 and older, then eventually all over 6 months old) in the United States, very likely this calendar year for the 12 and older group, even.

So there are some mixed messages there. But in the bigger scheme of things, it's really the kids more at risk than the vaccinated adults. It's not like I will ever choose to put myself in the vicinity of one or more specific kids for even 5 minutes at a time, let alone the typical 15 minutes/within 6-feet concept of possible exposure. So I'll leave it to the parents to decide whether or not to potentially expose their kids to serious infection just for a vacation. And yes, I worded it that way purposefully, too. 🙂

If you don't want to cruise with unvaccinated kids than no one is forcing you to, isn't that great?? I for one appreciate the fact that Royal is following the science and not the fear. Who knows what the CDC guidelines will be for cruising out of the US but we get no say, our opinions don't matter to them. Either way someone's not going to be happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If you don't want to cruise with unvaccinated kids than no one is forcing you to, isn't that great?? I for one appreciate the fact that Royal is following the science and not the fear. Who knows what the CDC guidelines will be for cruising out of the US but we get no say, our opinions don't matter to them. Either way someone's not going to be happy. 

Like I said, it's a big ship, and the last thing I will be doing is being near rug rats on a cruise ship other than in passing. Doesn't mean I can't still have and express a considered opinion on the subject. Or for that matter, find someone in security to report misbehaving kids and their parents, when needed. 🙂

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Like I said, it's a big ship, and the last thing I will be doing is being near rug rats on a cruise ship other than in passing. Doesn't mean I can't still have and express a considered opinion on the subject. Or for that matter, find someone in security to report misbehaving kids and their parents, when needed. 🙂

Tattletale. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is it unfair to require all who sail on a ship to be vaccinated? No, it’s just good old common sense. Otherwise who would book a cruise only to be possibly exposed to the virus.

What is unfair are the lost jobs and the financial woes of the cruise lines’ staff. What is unfair is the financial bath that the cruise lines have suffered because of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

We do have two cruises booked, one in early October from Amsterdam to Budapest and the next in April 2022, a transatlantic. Both are requiring that we all be vaccinated. We are.

• Like 8