Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

7 hours ago, mek said:

Well too bad for the adults - anti-vaxxers or anyone who won't take the shot(s) for whatever reason. Cruising needs to start back up from US ports and it's time for the cruise lines to step up to the plate and do what is necessary to achieve that goal.

I think kids under 16 are the biggest source of concern - whether it's people who think they don't pose a threat or those who think they do but what really matters will be the court of public opinion and it will only take a few outbreaks and the American press will be all over it and cruising will be toast for a long time.

Why not be willing to comply with a vaccination required rule for everyone to get things rolling?

Though majority those that have and are declining Vaccine are not so called Anti Vaxers. Currently 1/3 US Military has declined and only 52% of Medical Field has received it. Some of the later are wait and see with over 1/3 that say they don't ever plan on getting it. I see Vaccine Required during startup but will not last and Kids never Required Cruise or Schools. Even IF they wanted Vaccinate all the children earliest could be done is Fall2022

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, cruisinggrandma57 said:

The shot is only good for a year and you can also get it with the shot.

Where is your proof? The vaccines haven’t even been out for a year so there isn’t any way to know this yet.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, cruisinggrandma57 said:

I didn't get the vaccine because I had the virus. The shot is to prevent you from getting it. So why should I have to get the shot to cruise when you don't need the shot to fly.

I’m shocked you have to ask this question this late in the game. 🙄

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 11:00 PM, JsMom2 said:

I actually hadn’t decided if I would get the vaccine.  Although I always knew I would get it, if required to cruise!  But earlier this month I went to an all inclusive resort in Cancun.  It was the first time I’d traveled in a year.  After seeing how much extra work it was for the airport personnel, flight attendants, drivers, resort personnel etc to keep us safe, I decided I needed to do my part to end this pandemic.  I had an opportunity to get my first shot 2 days after we got back to the states and I took it!  And this week I booked a cruise out of Nassau on Adventure!  If we have to wear masks, I can deal with that.  We had to wear them in the lobby of the resort, and it was no big deal.  Everyone just did what they needed to do. 

Thanks for doing your part to help get the virus under control.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

Life isn’t fair. If RC requires a vaccination then they will have to find other vacations.

• Like 4

On 3/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, Stroma said:

I think that all ships should require vaccinations of all passengers and crew unless someone has a verifiable medical condition that would preclude someone from getting the vaccine. 

Why allow people with verifiable medical conditions while others have to be vaccinated? They can easily spread covid so it makes no sense. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, Stroma said:

I think that all ships should require vaccinations of all passengers and crew unless someone has a verifiable medical condition that would preclude someone from getting the vaccine. 

Apparently MSC are not requiring vaccinations on their new sailcations from the UK. They have decided to stick to the same protocols they've been using since last summer in Europe. Maybe they may start cruising from one of the Caribbean islands? 

Though personally I would prefer to be on a fully vaccinated ship 

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though majority those that have and are declining Vaccine are not so called Anti Vaxers. Currently 1/3 US Military has declined and only 52% of Medical Field has received it. Some of the later are wait and see with over 1/3 that say they don't ever plan on getting it. I see Vaccine Required during startup but will not last and Kids never Required Cruise or Schools. Even IF they wanted Vaccinate all the children earliest could be done is Fall2022

I am talking about starting back up - not forever.  And I disagree about kids and school - I think it will get FDA approval and then children will have to be vaccinated in order to attend.

Someone from Texas posted that there are no exemptions in that state for people not vaccinating their children before ending them off to school.  

I never called everyone a anti vaxxer - but I think those who won't get vaccinated are terribly misinformed.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vaccine requirement is a necessary component in the phased return to operations, that the cruise lines have been discussing for the last year.  But with a limited supply of staterooms, it’s been great to see that demand is lower than it would have been without the vaccine requirement.   Lower prices and better availability for the rest of us!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

The vaccine requirement is a necessary component in the phased return to operations, that the cruise lines have been discussing for the last year.  But with a limited supply of staterooms, it’s been great to see that demand is lower than it would have been without the vaccine requirement.   Lower prices and better availability for the rest of us!

I feel that you're setting yourself up to be let down with this statement. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mek said:

Well too bad for the adults - anti-vaxxers or anyone who won't take the shot(s) for whatever reason. Cruising needs to start back up from US ports and it's time for the cruise lines to step up to the plate and do what is necessary to achieve that goal.

I think kids under 16 are the biggest source of concern - whether it's people who think they don't pose a threat or those who think they do but what really matters will be the court of public opinion and it will only take a few outbreaks and the American press will be all over it and cruising will be toast for a long time.

Why not be willing to comply with a vaccination required rule for everyone to get things rolling?

Must not forget that the crew needs to be vaccinated as well. 

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I feel that you're setting yourself up to be let down with this statement. 

Nope. Simple economics, when supply is limited, higher demand = higher prices.   But I’ve already booked on Adventure out of Nassau. Got a GREAT rate on a single balcony stateroom.  AND great airfare on business class air through Air2Sea.  I’m quite happy!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Nope. Simple economics, when supply is limited, higher demand = higher prices.   But I’ve already booked on Adventure out of Nassau. Got a GREAT rate on a single balcony stateroom.  AND great airfare on business class air through Air2Sea.  I’m quite happy!

Now I'm confused. In your previous post you mentioned lower prices, in this one higher prices. I for one believe cruising will be more expensive when it resumes but I'm ok with that. I am more than willing to pay more for a less crowded ship. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Now I'm confused. In your previous post you mentioned lower prices, in this one higher prices. I for one believe cruising will be more expensive when it resumes but I'm ok with that. I am more than willing to pay more for a less crowded ship. 

Lower prices for the vaccination-required cruises.  

9 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I for one believe cruising will be more expensive when it resumes but I'm ok with that. I am more than willing to pay more for a less crowded ship. 

I agree prices will be initially higher (I'm certainly experiencing this trend as I go about my planning).  But, I'm not sure that's going to mean less crowded ships. It seems to me, there's a lot of pent up demand and many will pay more for vacations they need more than ever.  

The question is - will the numbers of people who won't or can't get vaccinated drive demand down enough to lower prices on cruise lines that require passengers to be fully vaccinated? Will passengers pay a premium to be on mandatory vax ship vs an optional vax ship? Or, vice versa?  It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

1 minute ago, JsMom2 said:

Oh, so you're specifically talking about the guinea pig cruises that Royal hasn't given much details regarding other protocols onboard yet? Yeah, I expect those to be dirt cheap but I haven't looked myself, I consider those to be the test cruises. Once cruising resumes from the US though prices will most likely be elevated for a long while. 

2 minutes ago, DSJ28 said:

I agree prices will be initially higher (I'm certainly experiencing this trend as I go about my planning).  But, I'm not sure that's going to mean less crowded ships. It seems to me, there's a lot of pent up demand and many will pay more for vacations they need more than ever.  

The question is - will the numbers of people who won't or can't get vaccinated drive demand down enough to lower prices on cruise lines that require passengers to be fully vaccinated? Will passengers pay a premium to be on mandatory vax ship vs an optional vax ship? Or, vice versa?  It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Keep in mind that ships won't be sailing at full capacity for who knows how long. By the time cruising resumes out of the US pretty much everyone who wants it will be vaccinated so that won't be an issue. The cruise lines will have way too much demand for not much supply. 

Your last statement I agree with 100%. 

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

The military numbers were shocking to me. Since when are they allowed to decline any vaccinations? My husband served, and it was line up and sometimes you got one in both arms at the same time. 

Edited by jules815

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

Keep in mind that ships won't be sailing at full capacity for who knows how long. By the time cruising resumes out of the US pretty much everyone who wants it will be vaccinated so that won't be an issue. The cruise lines will have way too much demand for not much supply. 

Your last statement I agree with 100%. 

Oh - I hadn't considered that! Is it wrong that I'm even more excited about my upcoming trips now?  😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jules815 said:

The military numbers were shocking to me. Since when are they allowed to decline any vaccinations? My husband served, and it was line up and sometimes you got one in both arms at the same time. 

I think the issue is that the military can't make the vaccine mandatory until it's fully approved by the FDA.  Currently, it's approved for emergency use. (I'm sure someone will correct my understanding if I'm misstating this).  It's a tricky situation, and causes a lot of extra work for vaccinated service members when those who refuse to get vaccinated fall ill.  I've seen this in the local police department as well.  Some officers have gotten covid19 three times, they're out for 2 weeks, and those who took appropriate precautions were overburdened. 

I definitely want to respect everyone's rights and opinions, but in the grand scheme of things - certainly compared to military, school, medical care -  requiring vaccinations for leisure travel seems to me to be a low bar and a straight forward approach to getting the industry back on track. 

1 hour ago, JsMom2 said:

That's hilarious.  You need to look at the income brackets that currently have the highest vaccination rates. I'll give you a hint, they typically have the larger houses, multiple vehicles, could already work from home, didn't have to worry about being furloughed and financially are comeing out ahead after a year of Covid. And that cohort of the population are also the ones that will book a week long cruise just to celebrate getting the 2nd shot, that's in addition to the anniversary and birthday cruises that was already booked,

If anything the vaccination required cruises are going to be in higher demand.

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Yes they do.  I don't understand why they can't be tested before arriving here, receive the J&J shot, quarantined, and then board ships to work.

Not being snarky - what am I missing concerning the crew?

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Oh, so you're specifically talking about the guinea pig cruises that Royal hasn't given much details regarding other protocols onboard yet? Yeah, I expect those to be dirt cheap but I haven't looked myself, I consider those to be the test cruises. Once cruising resumes from the US though prices will most likely be elevated for a long while. 

Supply and demand!  Although I’m happy with the prices on my 2022 cruises as well. And just saved some money on my Celebrity Edge cruise for this December!