Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

Well, statistically, if vaccinated, you would have exactly zero die.  The vaccines, all of them, have shown a 100% reduction in not only death, but even just hospitalization.

I know, that is why I stated I wasn’t going into a discussion of the actual statement.   The statement was wrong and I was addressing strictly the concept of “only” fifty people dying.  

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

Really? TSA makes you remove your mask for screening? We haven't flown since Feb. 2020, but I had not heard that. It seems a little unsafe. :classic_huh:

TSA does ask that you remove your mask for a second or two. I just hold my breath for that quick second. Is it a slight risk, yes, but so is taking off your mask to take a drink, which generally takes me longer than my mask is off for TSA screening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Similar here, forced to retire a year earlier than planned due covid, last November. All my plans for retirement parties and our plans to travel the world, all gone. This is not how we planned that our retirement would be😏

I am so sorry for you, that is so sad. Hoping that this year will be much better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I guess all we can conclude here is that an alarmist and a medically trained realist interpret the same information in different ways. 
Luckily for all of us, my people will be setting the guidelines, not yours. 

In my experience most medically trained realists do not misrepresent statements made by others.

28 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I am so sorry for you, that is so sad. Hoping that this year will be much better. 

Thanks Sandebeach. Like all of us, making the best of everything. Lots to look forward too this year, a new grandbaba in the family ❤️ and my sons wedding in August 💞

We have a slow reopening this Spring and a couple of staycations booked. Plus we've just  bought our first little motor Cruiser to put put up and down the Thames 

Sue

• Like 3

More good news on the vaccine front:

AstraZeneca U.S. president explains trial data, plans for filing for U.S. approval

The findings of a large U.S. trial have shown that the coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is 79% effective in preventing symptomatic illness and 100% effective against severe disease and hospitalization. 
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Are these people hesitant to get the vaccine?  Hopefully, once they get vaccinated they might feel a restaurant dinning experience soon. 

I’m guessing you might be in the Villages?  We have a couple of friends who we ride with from the Villages. 

M8

Those folks who prefer to be in an environment of folks who are all vaccinated would, IMHO, not be hesitant to be vaccinated. Seems that way to me anyway.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, cured said:

I am curious. If your mask forever theory is to hold water, that means we should also not be trusting any of the other vaccines that have pretty much eradicated serious illnesses. Why are we not still wearing masks to prevent us from all the vaccinated illnesses? Why are we not still wearing masks to prevent the spread of the Spanish Flu if masks forever is a reality?

I believe in masks 100%. I am very, very pro mask. But I also believe that vaccinations will work the way they are designed to and the way other vaccinations have and will eventually protect us without the need for masks.  The masks forever fantasy doesn't jive with reality and history.

Using your logic, we should only have to use seat belts or air bags in a car. 

Some examples for the United States...

1) A business can require shirts and shoes to be worn in a business open to the public. It's not discriminatory to refuse entry and service to someone who refuses to wear a shirt or shoes.

2) A business can exclude people from using their restroom facilities unless that person is a current customer of the business. It's not discriminatory to withhold services to those who are not customers.

Now it should probably be noted that none of the sailings currently planned by Royal Caribbean are subject to US laws at all. There are international conventions governing various rules and regulations and enforcement at sea, in international waters, but none of that is going to matter a whole lot at boarding time.

But it's simply downright idiotic for someone to get all huffy about vaccination requirements right now. Fine, we understand you dislike being told to do something. Get a grip. The alternative is nobody, not just you, will be able to di it. With vaccination requirements in place for now, you at least have the option should you so choose. Without them, there would be no option and no sailings you could take, at all, till some unspecified future time.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

Very discriminatory and not fair. It's total BS.   Hope the lawsuits start.  

How is it discrimination?  How’s it not fair. It’s your choice. Sue for what?  It’s their ship, their rules. Want to cruise, get vaccinated. Otherwise, don’t. 

M8

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Sky616 said:

I don't think the non-vaccinated are a protected class. As for being not fair, that is pretty much the definition of life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 3/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

First, Canada is banning people from USA for a couple of years.....so I don't see a problem making them have a vaccine.  European is moving along quickly, just like the USA.  Once the CDC finally admits the vaccine works, Europe will open up.....but the vaccine is not the issue, politics is.  As far as discrimination by countries, that only allow vaccinated citizens on the ship?  You seem to forget, that other countries, don't go by our rules.  So they can do what they want.  Who are those countries discriminating against?  Outsiders?  The USA is not allowing other countries in also, therefore would we be doing the same thing now?  I'm good with following the rules and/or laws of countries I visit.  They have that right.  I'm also good with allowing only vaccinated people sail now for the time being.  The companies need to start bringing in revenue, and eventually, things will get back to normal.

8 hours ago, Sky616 said:

You do know that the shipped is flagged in the Bahamas, and non of the ships are touching USA waters?  So who are you going to sue?  A foreign government for making rules you don't like?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, yesterday I read in the news thay some places are making Vacination a mandatory procedure of all the travelers coming and leaving. I mean, yeah, it might sound good but we dont have a record of how humans react on it in a long run. As a short term solution it might sound ok, but I dont want to get autism later in my life 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

Well, yesterday I read in the news thay some places are making Vacination a mandatory procedure of all the travelers coming and leaving. I mean, yeah, it might sound good but we dont have a record of how humans react on it in a long run. As a short term solution it might sound ok, but I dont want to get autism later in my life 

Develop autism later in life? What is the mechanism for thaf? 🤔

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

Some examples for the United States...

1) A business can require shirts and shoes to be worn in a business open to the public. It's not discriminatory to refuse entry and service to someone who refuses to wear a shirt or shoes.

2) A business can exclude people from using their restroom facilities unless that person is a current customer of the business. It's not discriminatory to withhold services to those who are not customers.

Now it should probably be noted that none of the sailings currently planned by Royal Caribbean are subject to US laws at all. There are international conventions governing various rules and regulations and enforcement at sea, in international waters, but none of that is going to matter a whole lot at boarding time.

But it's simply downright idiotic for someone to get all huffy about vaccination requirements right now. Fine, we understand you dislike being told to do something. Get a grip. The alternative is nobody, not just you, will be able to di it. With vaccination requirements in place for now, you at least have the option should you so choose. Without them, there would be no option and no sailings you could take, at all, till some unspecified future time.

The issue is believing the architects of fear. lie after lie and changing views and there are people who believe it. It could be true. But believing things through politics overwhelms common sense even if right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

The fact that ships can't sail in Canadian waters, and visitors must quaranteen for 14 days, including anyone that wants to drive over?  I can fly to Mexico, but I can't fly to Canada now.  

Stick with the facts.

The land border crossings are   only closed until April, yes it will probably be extended but not for the couple of years that you stated.

You can fly in but you have to quarantine for 14 days

• Like 1