Dress Code

thepoint

On 3/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, thepoint said:

It has been seven years since we sailed on Holland America.  We just booked the 21 Day Azores & Normandy & Norse Legends cruise on the Rotterdam for April, 17, 2022.  (TransAtlantic).  Please tell me that I no longer need to bring three cocktail dresses and my husband no longer needs to rent the onboard tuxedo.   Does Holland America still have the formal nights of years ago?  I know it is a long way off, but planning is half the fun.  Thank you.  

On 3/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, CaliforniaAC said:

DH and I really enjoy gala night. We dress formal on those nights. Since we have laundry service we have room in the suitcase. 

One of the nicest things about gala night is that they're icebreakers. If someone looks wonderful, I can compliment them and not feel shy. I love to hear about earrings received  for anniversaries, scarfs bought on exotic trips, or a ring that has been passed down through the generations.

You sound like a nice passenger and your compliments to fellow passengers makes them feel good!  On our last cruise I happened to be wearing a necklace I had given my late mother years ago.  A lady stepped into the elevator and remarked what a beautiful necklace I was wearing.  It actually made my evening!

• Like 4

On 3/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, CaliforniaAC said:

DH and I really enjoy gala night. We dress formal on those nights. Since we have laundry service we have room in the suitcase. 

One of the nicest things about gala night is that they're icebreakers. If someone looks wonderful, I can compliment them and not feel shy. I love to hear about earrings received  for anniversaries, scarfs bought on exotic trips, or a ring that has been passed down through the generations.

Agree, I still bring my tux and my wife dresses like the old formal nights to keep up the Hal tradition and be different from the other less formal cruise lines. And the free laundry makes it all easy..

47 minutes ago, ginger and professor said:

On formal nights the recommend that you wear your baseball cap facing forward.  I always use my formal flip flops with nice cargo shorts.

I had to chuckle at that suggestion!  On our eastern Med. cruise a couple of years ago, I had to wear my Bzees tennis shoes, but they were slip on and had sparkles galore in the threads.  I tried the other shoes I had brought, but my feet were so swollen by our 8:30pm dinner time that I had no choice but to wear them.  Looked odd with my dresses, but okay with my dress slacks. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a picture somewhere of our NCL Gem cruise in the Med at Le Bistro for our anniversary. Next to us was a man dressed with a full tuxedo on top and some type of bloomer at the knee pants with black socks and black sandals..

On one of my Alaska cruises, during the tuxedo days, a gentleman walked past my table and I could not help bit stare.  His black/gold satin Ben Franklin-like attire was replete with white stockings and large-buckle shoes.  Tied white hair completed the image of Philadelphia 1776

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, Hflors said:

I really never pack light.  Most if our cruises we bring 6 bags if luggage between 

dh and I.  If we fly we pay the extra charges.  It is just part of our overall costs.

Thank you.  I felt bad when we had 3 bags on one 30+ day cruise 😉 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, Mary229 said:

I have noticed that Caribbean and other beach vacations destinations are much more casual than say Northern European.  

I can’t compare to Caribbean as it has been a decade since we have done that but based on my Hawaii and Panama experiences and comparing to any European cruise, there is definitely a huge difference in dress.  It’s not necessarily fancy but much more emphasis on grace and just pride in one’s appearance (if that is ok to say).  Just my experience 

• Like 3

DH finally sent his tux to the thrift store….as much as we truly enjoyed the more formal traditions of a tux and formal gown; we are now leaning towards efficient packing and less emphasis on the the tradition.  Land tours and cruise itineraries put a premium on our wardrobe.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, kazu said:

Thank you.  I felt bad when we had 3 bags on one 30+ day cruise 😉 

I can’t compare to Caribbean as it has been a decade since we have done that but based on my Hawaii and Panama experiences and comparing to any European cruise, there is definitely a huge difference in dress.  It’s not necessarily fancy but much more emphasis on grace and just pride in one’s appearance (if that is ok to say).  Just my experience 

I agree that Alaska and the Caribbean are the least formal but every year, the rest of the cruising circuit is becoming less formal.  On our first WC in 2017 many more tuxes and suits on formal nights, same cruise in 2020, not so much. 

I enjoy dressing up, my husband does not. He’ll wear dress slacks and a dress shirt on formal night, not too different from informal night. We’ve seen people even more casual than him so I wouldn’t sweat it. 

This thread is reminding me that my family needs to try on all their dress clothes after the past 18 months. Some of us may have some surprises 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night we had our first Gala night on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. Alaska has always been a little easier on dress. Observation. Saw one tuxedo, a few suits and ties, quite a few sports jackets with open collar. 

Also a lot of just collared shirts including short sleeve golf shorts etc.

My wife looked great in palazzos pants and glimmering top. I wore sports jacket with open collar and actually felt a little overdressed.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Last night we had our first Gala night on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. Alaska has always been a little easier on dress. Observation. Saw one tuxedo, a few suits and ties, quite a few sports jackets with open collar. 

Also a lot of just collared shirts including short sleeve golf shorts etc.

My wife looked great in palazzos pants and glimmering top. I wore sports jacket with open collar and actually felt a little overdressed.

For Alaska, that sounds like a dressy crowd!