EU: Digital Green Certificates For Travel

Daniel A

According to this web site last updated March 3, 2021

"Do US Citizens Need an EU visa to enter Europe?

Citizens of the United States with a valid US passport can travel to 26 European member countries of the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days without having to apply or obtain a Schengen visa for short-term tourism or a business trip."

Americans Traveling to Europe – EU Visa Requirements for US Citizens (schengenvisainfo.com)

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Whatever and whomever issues digital vax certification, This  validation  has to be borne by the Cruise ship. 

Imagine a cruise ship full of pax from all different countries docking, say the Maldives, and the pax line up at the customs desk with some poor soul trying to figure out 20 different countries and maybe 30 different US digital certificates. 

That's not going to happen .

I shudder to think what will happen on the upcoming test cruises.

Maybe it will be on a list before pax board at the embarkation port  just like with the passports for clearing immigration is some ports

Some you have a F2F but others it is done ahead of arrival

JMO

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

I thought this requirement was not till the end of 2022 ??

Correct 

U.S. citizens travelling to Europe will shortly need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa waiver which is the new travel authorisation for Europe that will come into effect by the end of 2022. Similar to other countries and regions in the world, Europe has recently decided to improve its security level to avoid any further problems with illegal immigration and terrorism. 

This means that, by the end of 2022, all Americans travelling to a European country in the Schengen Zone will be in need of an ETIAS. The Schengen Area is composed of 22 European Union countries like France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and Spain, as well as 4 non-EU countries: Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland. ETIAS will permit travel to all Schengen countries for short stays during its validity.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

54 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Correct 

U.S. citizens travelling to Europe will shortly need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa waiver which is the new travel authorisation for Europe that will come into effect by the end of 2022. Similar to other countries and regions in the world, Europe has recently decided to improve its security level to avoid any further problems with illegal immigration and terrorism. 

This means that, by the end of 2022, all Americans travelling to a European country in the Schengen Zone will be in need of an ETIAS. The Schengen Area is composed of 22 European Union countries like France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and Spain, as well as 4 non-EU countries: Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland. ETIAS will permit travel to all Schengen countries for short stays during its validity.

So, if I read the website correctly, the ETIAS is a waiver, not a visa.  By completing an application and (presumably a background check) ETIAS permits entry to Schengen countries without needing a visa.  It is electronically attached to your passport but you can print out the approval e-mail.  It sounds more like a cross check against a terror watch list.  That's what I got from your post.  Thanks for posting it.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

According to this web site last updated March 3, 2021

"Do US Citizens Need an EU visa to enter Europe?

Citizens of the United States with a valid US passport can travel to 26 European member countries of the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days without having to apply or obtain a Schengen visa for short-term tourism or a business trip."

Americans Traveling to Europe – EU Visa Requirements for US Citizens (schengenvisainfo.com)

4 hours ago, KS&JW said:

Correct 

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

So, if I read the website correctly, the ETIAS is a waiver, not a visa.  By completing an application and (presumably a background check) ETIAS permits entry to Schengen countries without needing a visa.  It is electronically attached to your passport but you can print out the approval e-mail.  It sounds more like a cross check against a terror watch list.  That's what I got from your post.  Thanks for posting it.

Please be careful when you're looking for passport and visa requirements. Neither of the websites cited in your posts are official EU sites so there's no guarantee that what you're seeing is correct. The internet is full of commercial sites, many associated with visa services that want to sell you unnecessary "assistance" in obtaining passports and visas. 

As best I can tell the official EU site for ETIAS is nonfunctional as of the moment. As I recall the ETIAS has been pushed off a couple of times already and I suspect that right now with the EU struggling with travel rules during the pandemic we're not about to see anything official about ETIAS very soon.

Daniel A...you are correct that ETIAS is a visa waiver for residents of designated countries traveling to the Schengen area. The concept is very similar to the ESTA waiver that the United States has used for citizens of certain countries for over a decade.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My mistake. I thought it was the end of this year! 

It was, but it keeps getting pushed back.  I have a note on my 2023 plan to check if it really did go into effect!

There are some citizens that do require a VISA to enter the Schengen zone

while North Americans may not need a VISA at this time they still have to abide by the  90 day rule  for visiting some Countries in the zone

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/schengen-area

I would think that US Citizens have the same rule

the ETIAS   are coming

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/smart-borders/etias_en

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

But we don't know when. To quote from the web page you've cited, which BTW is from an official EU website, unlike the previous sites cited:

Important notice

• The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is currently not in operation and no applications for travel authorisations are collected at this point.
  • The date from which travellers will be able to apply will be published on this web site.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

But we don't know when. To quote from the web page you've cited, which BTW is from an official EU website, unlike the previous sites cited:

Important notice

• The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is currently not in operation and no applications for travel authorisations are collected at this point.
  • The date from which travellers will be able to apply will be published on this web site.

Your point ?🙄

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Your point ?🙄

To point out that this is official EU information unlike the other sites quoted and as a result to use it as  affirmation coming from an official source of what I said in my earlier post that we don't know when ETIAS is going to be implemented.

I'm using your post as a source of good, official and valid information so maybe you shouldn't be upset???😉

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

To point out that this is official EU information unlike the other sites quoted and as a result to use it as  affirmation coming from an official source of what I said in my earlier post that we don't know when ETIAS is going to be implemented.

I'm using your post as a source of good, official and valid information so maybe you shouldn't be upset???😉

Then why not just say the link is the official one

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Then why not just say the link is the official one

I did say that early in my post,  but I thought it would be useful to add more meat onto the bones of your statement "the ETIAS   are coming" because of the misinformation posted by some others who thought there was a start date for ETIAS when there actually isn't. I added 'but we don't know when" to what you said together with the quotes from the site confirming that " we don't know when".

• Haha 1

Sounds much like our special driver’s licenses, here in the States, which WILL be required to board a plane or enter a federal facility. Pushed back, and pushed back with few actually believing it will be enforced later this year.

How many decades do you believe it will take for a new Green Pass system? We’ll be on our third pandemic by then!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Sounds much like our special driver’s licenses, here in the States, which WILL be required to board a plane or enter a federal facility. Pushed back, and pushed back with few actually believing it will be enforced later this year.

How many decades do you believe it will take for a new Green Pass system? We’ll be on our third pandemic by then!

Well, Italy did actually ban cruise ships from Venice.  After many delays, but much sooner than I thought it was going to happen.  So it's possible we will see the EU Green Pass in our lifetimes! 😉

France has just announced a nationwide 3 week lockdown.

2021 continues to unfold as a year of vaccine development and vaccination logistics.

Vaccination passports will likely play a part in the return to global travel, but I guess many EU countries will concentrate on other priorities over the next few months.

18 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

France has just announced a nationwide 3 week lockdown.

It will not be the only one. We're definitely in a third wave here in Europe. Even in the UK, with our high rate of vaccinations, infection numbers are on the rise in many boroughs (including my own).

Just for a look to the future. My wife is scheduling her colonoscopy. She’s told she needs a negative Covid test. The procedure will be done by a hospital affiliated facility with full access to her charts.

Wife: I’ve had both of my shots, you can see my shot records.

Clerk: Doesn’t matter, we can’t discriminate against those that haven’t or don’t get theirs. Everyone gets tested 3-5 days prior to procedure.

Wife: So the hospital is saying “ getting the shots doesn’t matter “.

Clerk: Maybe you’re one of the 5% that can still get it.

Wife: Hasn’t everyone here been vaccinated?

Clerk: That confidential, why do you care about the test, Medicare pays?

So perhaps it all comes down to the last sentence. As long as the hospital can Bill Medicare, nothing will change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Just for a look to the future. My wife is scheduling her colonoscopy. She’s told she needs a negative Covid test. The procedure will be done by a hospital affiliated facility with full access to her charts.

Clerk: Doesn’t matter, we can’t discriminate against those that haven’t or don’t get theirs. Everyone gets tested 3-5 days prior to procedure.

So perhaps it all comes down to the last sentence. As long as the hospital can Bill Medicare, nothing will change.

Crossed this "gate keeping" several times in the last 6 months.  It's not about you.  A pre operation test is the last protection against infecting the profitable units at any hospital or medical center.  The test guarantees with a high probability whether you are infectious or not, with or without symptoms

40 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Crossed this "gate keeping" several times in the last 6 months.  It's not about you.  A pre operation test is the last protection against infecting the profitable units at any hospital or medical center.  The test guarantees with a high probability whether you are infectious or not, with or without symptoms

We have gone through the same process. This is about safety...protecting the people who will be exposed to the patient undergoing the procedure...not money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

We have gone through the same process. This is about safety...protecting the people who will be exposed to the patient undergoing the procedure...not money.

Who is being protected from a fully vaccinated patient? Health care workers that refuse to be vaccinated themselves? Everyone within that healthcare has been offered the Pfizer vaccine. All the employees fully vaccinated ( or offered full vaccinations) by 1/31. Very close friend of the HR manager, so know it’s the case.

This thread is about the acceptance of a green passport for vaccinated cruisers. Our hospital system says it’s basically worthless. Full testing still required. Why would the CDC or most any entity not refuse to likewise recognize it?

Edited by pinotlover

On 3/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, mrlevin said:

All they have to do is scan each passenger at boarding to read the implanted chip verifying vaccination.

Please don't give the authorities such ideas!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Who is being protected from a fully vaccinated patient? Health care workers that refuse to be vaccinated themselves? Everyone within that healthcare has been offered the Pfizer vaccine. All the employees fully vaccinated ( or offered full vaccinations) by 1/31. Very close friend of the HR manager, so know it’s the case.

This thread is about the acceptance of a green passport for vaccinated cruisers. Our hospital system says it’s basically worthless. Full testing still required. Why would the CDC or most any entity not refuse to likewise recognize it?

According to CNN "While there's growing evidence suggesting vaccines can also help prevent transmission, the CDC says there's not enough data yet to prove whether vaccinated people could still carry the virus and infect others." 

Requiring makes sense if that's the case.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

According to CNN "While there's growing evidence suggesting vaccines can also help prevent transmission, the CDC says there's not enough data yet to prove whether vaccinated people could still carry the virus and infect others." 

Requiring makes sense if that's the case.

Cruising does not put one in as close contact with others as undergoing a medical procedure, so what might be acceptable for cruising or other travel my not be acceptable in the OR, endoscopy suite or other places where medical procedures are performed.

In addition to the very valid point made by @patty1955 it's also important to remember that because the vaccines are being used under EUAs rather than full approvals employees of the hospital can't be required to undergo vaccination . Once full approvals are granted, and we know how long the vaccines are effective for,  plus when we have a better handle on how likely it is that a vaccinated person can transmit COVID to others I think if everything points in the right direction the pre medical procedure testing requirement will be dropped. It's just too soon right now.