Shady or at least interesting business practice

Caps_Shield

I don't think this is a reasonable criticism of the cruise lines.  There is an expectation that cruises will resume.  They can't reasonably operate by only allowing bookings after sailing has resumed.  Nobody is served by them sailing empty ships after the restart because nobody was able to book (well, except perhaps the flexible traveller snagging an epic deal).

Carnival has been extremely flexible for each month of cancelled cruises since at least the April cancellations.  They're allowing everyone cancel June cruises now with refunds and pushing final payment to the end of April for all June cruises.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'd say that possibility is somewhere between slim and none, with none in the lead.

First, they just denied the CLIA request to roll back the November 1st cutoff date.

Second, although we may soon be at a point where anyone eligible for the vaccine can receive it, the country still has too many who say no way will I sign up for the vaccine.

Third, Carnival does not have time and probably the patience to deal with the "No Vacciners". They can easily replace anyone who refuses to get the vaccine prior to being allowed on board. The consumers lose in the end certainly not Carnival.    

I have a cruise for June 22, I am still hoping it will sail. I know I could reschedule it but I am willing to hold on. The cruise only cost $1800 and will will drive to the port on cruise day so we do not really have that much at risk. 

37 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Is there an article on his website about the time he refused to let cruise ships with a few cases of covid dock? The cruise lines probably haven't forgotten.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Is there an article on his website about the time he refused to let cruise ships with a few cases of covid dock? The cruise lines probably haven't forgotten.

Refusing to allow cruise ships to dock last spring was a big mistake that many governments made- it probally cost lives. 

Not shady at all. The Conditional Sail order goes until November 1st, or until the public health emergency declaration expires. The current PHE declaration expires on April 21, 2021. By extending the final payment date until April 30th, they are hoping that the PHE will expire, making the Conditional Sail Order moot. It's a long shot, to be sure, but it could happen. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, jetsfan58 said:

Third, Carnival does not have time and probably the patience to deal with the "No Vacciners". They can easily replace anyone who refuses to get the vaccine prior to being allowed on board. The consumers lose in the end certainly not Carnival.    

Proof of vaccinations can and will be faked. So how do you truly enforce the get vaccinated or don't sail?

2 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

Proof of vaccinations can and will be faked. So how do you truly enforce the get vaccinated or don't sail?

Easy, certified medical record or positive antibody test.  The CDC cards are just for honest people, but behind every card is a medical record that is easily retrieved. No record? Your card is just a sheet of paper. 

12 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Refusing to allow cruise ships to dock last spring was a big mistake that many governments made- it probally cost lives. 

Right. And I haven't seen any guarantees from Desantis that when cruising resumes, he wouldn't pull the same stunt.

11 hours ago, Moviela said:

Easy, certified medical record or positive antibody test.  The CDC cards are just for honest people, but behind every card is a medical record that is easily retrieved. No record? Your card is just a sheet of paper. 

And medical records are protected by HIPPA at least in the US.  All I'm saying is someone will figure out away around the vaccine requirements.  There are always those few.  

On 3/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, nascarcruiser said:

And medical records are protected by HIPPA at least in the US.  All I'm saying is someone will figure out away around the vaccine requirements.  There are always those few.  

HIPAA does not prevent the release of medical records.  It prevents the /unauthorized/ release of medical records.  If you are required to provide certified evidence of a vaccine to travel and you authorize the release of your vaccine records from your medical provider to a travel partner, there is no HIPAA violation.  You can give your medical records (or authorize their release) to anyone you want, at any time - they're yours.  The provider just can't release them without your authorization.  

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, Caps_Shield said:

I do not understand why June cruises are not cancelled as of yet?  The cruise industry asked to reopen is July and were told that the CDC is holding it's line of November 1st.  So they absolutely know that June is out since they never even asked for it to restart then.  March 31, for example, is a deadline for some ships and that is coming up fast.  Why not just cancel??  Is it just to hang on to the money for a few more days and collect interest?  If so that seems shady.  I understand I can cancel anytime but why when the offer changed for so many other ships.   This just seems wrong.   Like I said, they never even asked the CDC for June.

The CDC is not saying November 1st. The CDC is saying it will not lift the order before it expires on Nov 1. It is not a "no sail order" it is a "conditional sail order." However, the CDC is stalling by not providing the necessary information to begin test cruises for conditional sailing. However they could tomorrow issue that guidance and then test cruising can begin and then actual cruises 60 days later. June cruising could still happen but if CDC keeps stalling, its not likely. Cruise lines are hoping the governmental pressure from Florida and even Biden may help push the CDC into action before Nov 1 as they promised in the order 6 months ago.