Want to cruise in July 2021? Let your voice be heard.

HBCcruiser

7 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

It’s like 90% of this forum has completely forgotten about the Diamond Princess, and all the “plague ships” that weren’t allowed to dock in various countries. But it was “only“ 14 deaths on Diamond Princess, and they were “only” old people.

Sigh.

Very true.  I expect to be flamed and that is ok.  Dont shoot the messenger because I deal with reality and live in realville.  Cruise ships were the poster child of Covid death early on.  If cruising resumed tomorrow unless 100% of everyone was vaccinated it would surely happen again.  I get that people are frustrated but you cannot bully or threaten a virus into submission.  Some people want to argue the world is flat and no science will ever convince them otherwise.  For the love of God, we dont even have federal jury trials  in the United States because of Covid. Just imagine being innocent or having a good case but being detained.  Don't you think jury trials would resume before leisure cruising?  If cruising resumes its going to spread like crazy on cruise ships again.  Can we not learn how contagious Covid is from cruising?  Cruise ships are masters at quarantines but they failed miserably once there was an outbreak.  People can try and bully and threaten Covid all they want with wasted energy at the CDC but if you want to do someone constructive, go get vaccinated.  Drive your neighbors and friends to get vaccinated and lets knock this thing out that the CDC may consider moving up the Nov 1 date.  There are some on this board that always believed Covid was a myth and refused to get vaccinated and that is their choice.  Yet they are screaming for cruising to resume.  They are in for a brutal reality check because they will have to get vaccinated before they can cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Yesterday (March 26), 75,000 new cases, 1,260 new deaths.  

I want to know the real causes of deaths and not the generic "covid related". I want Covid CAUSED the death or it was not a covid death. That is the problem with these numbers. 

But doctor, the patient had liver and kidney failure for 4 years, 95% blockage of the arteries, heart disease for the last decade, Stage IV lung cancer since 2018, and just had pulmonary embolism where you tried to correct with open surgery using 24 units of blood. Nurse, I understand that, but the covid test came back positive. He died from covid.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I want to know the real causes of deaths and not the generic "covid related". I want Covid CAUSED the death or it was not a covid death. That is the problem with these numbers. 

But doctor, the patient had liver and kidney failure for 4 years, 95% blockage of the arteries, heart disease for the last decade, Stage IV lung cancer since 2018, and just had pulmonary embolism where you tried to correct with open surgery using 24 units of blood. Nurse, I understand that, but the covid test came back positive. He died from covid.

Do you know what the phrase 'excess deaths' means? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

You mean Dr. Fauci? Oh wait, he is a politician.

Just because you don't like the science doesn't make him a politician. 

Besides, if he was a politician, it would have been much easier for mango mussolini to fire him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Cruising from the USA is not going to happen in July.  For those of you ripping off your masks and think Covid is over is not reality.  Covid is spiking all over the place.  Take point Norwin High School in Western PA.  Its in Westmoreland County and a county that is Trump country.  They had huge Covid outbreaks throughout the pandemic.  A few weeks ago they ordered all students back to classroom learning.  The overwhelming number of parents and the school board pretty much declared Covid quarantine over.  There was a small protest of some students who worried about their health.  All students returned to class and guess what happened?  Covid spread so fast that the high school had to cancel all classes because of the Covid outbreak.  Until everyone is vaccinated there is no way cruising is going to resume in a few months.  Here is the link to the story I was talking about because it reminds me of this board.  The parents and school board were over Covid and ready to jump right back into classroom learning only to have egg on their face and forcing the closing of the high school because of Covid.  It would spread on cruise ships like wild fire again just like this school district who thought, acted and behaved like many on this board.   Reality sometimes sucks. Until at least 60% of Americans are vaccinated will the CDC even remotely consider changing things.  

Norwin High School closed 2 days because of covid cases | TribLIVE.com

I did not see anywhere in the article that the new cases had been contact traced to students/teachers at the school.  Also, because students didn't practice social distancing ... and "not all students were wearing their mask as required" this is a school administration problem?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Do you know what the phrase 'excess deaths' means? 

600K+ per year

480k+ per year

The list can get very long with 'excess deaths'. Its funny how we target 1 thing that has a 99+% survival rate and people could care less about one that has a 100% death rate or another that has caused millions of deaths (including my fathers). But hey, we want to target this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Just because you don't like the science doesn't make him a politician. 

Besides, if he was a politician, it would have been much easier for mango mussolini to fire him. 

Yeah, I don't like his science. First he says, "you shouldn't wear a mask", then, "you need to wear a mask", then "you need to wear 2 masks".

O.k., maybe you're right, he's not a politician. More like a wanna be super-model posing for the cover of InStyle magazine;

InStyle' Digital Cover Profiles Dr. Anthony Fauci 07/20/2020

"Mango mussolini", lol (I have to give you props, I've never heard that one before). Don't you mean; Orange Man BAD!!

• Like 3

For those of you who are minimizing the seriousness of this pandemic, there's no way to change your mind and there's no sense in trying to convince you that opening up cruising now is a bad idea.  So I won't bother.  For the rest of you, I think that reopening needs to have the caveat that until this virus is pounded into oblivion, the CDC should allow cruises to operate out of the US only for those persons who are vaccinated.  If that means boycotts and bellyaching, so be it.  The cruise lines will have to reopen incrementally anyways, so why not pack those first cruises with passengers who are largely immune and aren't transmitting the virus to others?  The vaccinated, cruise-loving market is huge and growing daily.  What we can't allow is for one or more passengers to infect dozens/hundreds of others who aren't vaccinated and, on a cruise ship, that would be guaranteed with every sailing.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, wdsted said:

For those of you who are minimizing the seriousness of this pandemic, there's no way to change your mind and there's no sense in trying to convince you that opening up cruising now is a bad idea.  So I won't bother.  

Thank you, please don't try to convince us. But please let us know where you stand on all other pandemics that can be 100% controlled? If you think cruising is dangerous, don't go. If you are that terrified by this virus, please tell me you shuttered in your home and never left for the last 12 months. If you did even once, you ARE the reason this is as "bad" as you have been told. You willingly and willfully chose to be a carrier whether you contracted it or not and exposed all those other people to it as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

You mean Dr. Fauci? Oh wait, he is a politician.

Dr Fauci is not elected. He

is a medical doctor and he has been doing his job with infectious diseases since the advent of HIV and AIDS in the 1980's.

Edited by rhblake
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Thank you, please don't try to convince us. But please let us know where you stand on all other pandemics that can be 100% controlled? If you think cruising is dangerous, don't go. If you are that terrified by this virus, please tell me you shuttered in your home and never left for the last 12 months. If you did even once, you ARE the reason this is as "bad" as you have been told. You willingly and willfully chose to be a carrier whether you contracted it or not and exposed all those other people to it as well.

Sorry, but I've never lived through a different pandemic, so I have no position on what doesn't exist.  If another pandemic rolls around, I and my family will respond the same way we did with this one:  in line with guidance from scientists.  And Covid-19 guidance from the scientists did not include shuttering oneself in their home and never leaving it.  Adhering to that guidance resulted in us and our immediate family luckily evading this virus.  As for who should stay home, it's pretty obvious that the persons who are too frightened to be jabbed by a needle should do so, not those persons who have been vaccinated.  So, you are the problem.  You believe that Covid-19 is something that impacts only you.  You say it's just a flu.  You say you're healthy enough to survive it.  Problem is people like you are the ones who keep this virus around and mutating and infecting others.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

Really, how can you jump on a cruise if the ships ain't currently sailing?

Many cruises worldwide are/were scheduled to sail in June.....😉

Again, they ARE sailing. Americans are booking the RCI cruises that are going to sail out of Bermuda and Nassau starting THIS June. Adults must be fully vaccinated and children must have a negative C19 test to sail. The cruise lines have put strong safety protocols in place. Safer than our airlines, stores and restaurants. Many of us feel that cruising should be allowed out of US ports again. This post is for Americans who would like to let their congressmen know they WANT the CDC to reconsider the No Sail Order. I did not post this to start a debate about C19. 

For those interested in learning about the RCI cruises:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/?country=USA

1B66243C-0345-4794-9FC0-2D20179AA456.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

Dear CDC, if you are reading this thread (probably not), stick to your guns.  The US is in no position right now to make a decision on starting cruises out of the USA.  Cases and hospitalizations are spiking again.  Death increases will likely follow.  We don't have enough vaccines administered yet to get to herd immunity and we don't really know what the interaction will be between the vaccines and some of the variants (one of the Brazil variants seems particularly troubling).  I suggest waiting for at least two more months before making any decisions.  Let the cruise lines homeport somewhere else for a period of time if they choose.  They will come running back to Miami and Galveston once it is deemed truly safe to cruise out of the US.

Oh....and pay no attention to a very vocal minority of screamers and whiners.  The majority of citizens support the careful approach you are taking.  We can all wait a few more months for cruising to start again.  Safety is priority number one.

Why do you need herd immunity  before you can move on? If you can take a vaccine yourself, you don't need herd immunity. Herd immunity is a mathematical concept -- it's just a number that reflects the reduction of available hosts who have acquired immunity either naturally (through illness and recovery) or vaccination.  The reduced number of hosts brings the transmission rates (R0) to a manageable level. That's the public good component of herd immunity -- it reduces the chances that an unvaccinated person will come into contact with the virus.

Not everyone can take a vaccine. Not everyone can wear a mask. It's odd to me that the people who admonish others as "selfish" for refusing to wear a mask or refusing to take a vaccine can't themselves be "unselfish" by extending some kindness and understanding to those who see the situation differently.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wdsted said:

For the rest of you, I think that reopening needs to have the caveat that until this virus is pounded into oblivion, the CDC should allow cruises to operate out of the US only for those persons who are vaccinated. 

5 hours ago, wdsted said:

The cruise lines will have to reopen incrementally anyways, so why not pack those first cruises with passengers who are largely immune and aren't transmitting the virus to others?  The vaccinated, cruise-loving market is huge and growing daily.  What we can't allow is for one or more passengers to infect dozens/hundreds of others who aren't vaccinated and, on a cruise ship, that would be guaranteed with every sailing.

I agree with you. Required vaccinations for all crew and adult (18+) passengers onboard. Negative rapid covid tests required for those under 18. This is exactly what RCI, Celebrity & Crystal is doing and they are reopening incrementally (as you mentioned).

There is no reason the CDC can't adopt these requirements & protocols as the means of lifting the CSO (effectively the NSO) and let cruise lines use the months of April, May & June to get their ships ready for a July 1st restart, out of U.S. ports.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Again, they ARE sailing. Americans are booking the RCI cruises that are going to sail out of Bermuda and Nassau starting THIS June. 

Again, they are NOT sailing....FYI, this is March, June is 9 weeks or so away....when they MAY be sailing, as currently scheduled! 🙄 🙄

• Like 1

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5988/?et_cid=3417200&et_rid=251694853&et_referrer=Boards%20-%20CC-US

I don’t think anyone, including CDC knows what is going on at this point.

CDC:  “Blame Department of Transportation.  They are part of the deciding body to continue to halt cruises.”

DoT:  “No we aren’t.”

Cant make this up.....

• Like 3

I cannot believe that some people on this board are actually cruisers. With their attitudes they will not be back to sailing until 2023 or 2024 because it is "to dangerous" to take a cruise when 100% of pax are vaccinated against the evil Covid 19.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

Again, they are NOT sailing....FYI, this is March, June is 9 weeks or so away....when they MAY be sailing, as currently scheduled! 🙄 🙄

Cruise ships ARE operating successfully as we write. Over 400,000 passengers have sailed. 🙄🙄

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24442-cruise-ships-back-in-service-march-2021-update.html

Edited by HBCcruiser

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Cruise ships ARE operating successfully as we write. Over 400,000 passengers have sailed. 🙄🙄

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24442-cruise-ships-back-in-service-march-2021-update.html

where did you come up with 400,000? My calculations are a fraction of that. 

• Like 1