The Daily for Friday Mar 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is Live Long and Prosper Day, Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, and National Spinach Day

I'd never been in play long enough for the flowers to die in the dressing room. - Mercedes McCambridge

Meal suggestion for today - Sage-Rubbed Salmon

Drink of the Day - Agua Fresca

Wine of the day - Zonin Moscato - Italy - Sparkling

Port of the Day - Rarotonga Cook Islands

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 3/26
Westerdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/28

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Southampton GB
Eurodam

Torquay UK
Zaandam Anchorage

0326Europe.thumb.png.1cb2321d74ce62bdd74a43c1dfdea7ad.png

0326USA.thumb.png.252fec907a6d698fecf79b672e34eb39.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Happy Friday!

Thanks for the Daily Report.

I hope everyone lives long and prospers.  Love spinach.  I don't know what holiday I would make up, I'll have to think about that one.  It's raining and windy here this morning, with a  chance of thunderstorms, so a good day to stay in and think.😉

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I think I'll make "swiss" steak in the crock pot.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Another port I have not been to, but would love to.  Thanks to all who will post pictures.

Sending prayers for us all.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Let us all live long and prosper.  Making our own holidays sounds great.  I'll pass on the salmon and the spinach.  Been to Rarotonga a few times.  Love McCambridge's quote and hope the dressing rooms are active soon.  My alternate dinner suggestion is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Spaghetti Amatriciana, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 26, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes26.jpg

Today's care list:

Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including lunanken

Welcome back travelingbums

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome home Garlictown

Jab booked for ger_77, lynanken and DH

Jabs for Vict0riann and Pat

An Iceland trip for Cat Shepard

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

Windy and rain here, but we do still have power, so that is a good thing.  I did hear the chairs on the back deck moving around a bit, but they should be ok as I put them in protective arrangements.  

I'm all for living long and prospering.  I think I've made a pretty good dent in that.  I do like spinach, but try to limit it because it is so high in oxalates and I am prone to kidney stones.  I haven't had one since I started limiting the spinach and beets.  And I loved putting beets on my spinach salad.  Sigh.....

Today's meal sounds pretty good and it is right up my alley.  I tend to eat a lot of fish, hence my nick name, Debbie Fish.  Reviews of the meal are all good.    Roy's menu reminds me to look for my chilled cherry soup recipe.  That was really good!  Fresh cherries are one of my all time favorites.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sage-rubbed-salmon/

Sage-Rubbed-Salmon_EXPS_SDON16_57297__D06_03_5b-1.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thank you for the reports.  I love spinach so that may be lunch.

we drive back to Texas today and are hoping for bright sunshine and plenty of spring wildflowers.   It is not quite bluebonnet season but red clover, wine cups and buttercups should be abundant.  If time allows we will take a detour through east Texas azalea and dogwood country. 

hope and comfort to those in need.  Thanks to all who are making this a community of friends. 

• Like 21

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  My DM was successful in getting her first dose yesterday.  She took a long nap once she got home.  I’ll pass on the salmon as I’m not a fan of fish.  Although other members of the house would enjoy it very much.

image.png.87e485444d71a1db0433fb3569e6aaee.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Live Long & Prosper - made so famous by Mr. Spock is a great thing to celebrate - maybe with some spinach 😉 

In these covid times, this is the only holiday I can think of to make up:

8C5E5580-43BD-490A-9673-E03F21B47208.jpeg.7792b1c0f5d9604a71ccb53972e93920.jpeg

That quote by McCambridge is great as is the meal suggestion.

Think I’ve had Agua Fresca - need to wait for summer’s description to be sure but if it’s the same, it was great!  And YAY a white wine. 😄 Looking forward to cat’s scoop on it.

We’ve been to some Pacific Islands but not the Cook Islands so I’ll look forward to other’s descriptions.

0EABFDE7-BFF6-456E-BB69-939E934B8B87.thumb.jpeg.3565fc62aca671cb6f273adb0664819a.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list and for those that need them and a big 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

Have a great TGIF everyone - enjoy it to the fullest.

F8E6D197-C08F-496C-93D2-9F16BD65F8A7.jpeg.f06469e8930a9360bf24de57652d4753.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31

Good morning Rich:  Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report.  Spinich is a very good foor and Salmon is quite healthy. Roy thank you for Your care list and Call Out List..  Thanks to all readers and posters.   Have a good day everyone.

• Like 14

Today's sunrise is from my 2003 round the world attempt featuring the trans Siberian railroad.  On March 26 the freighter Canmar Courage was approaching my destination of Antwerp.

wrld0520.thumb.jpg.9750a3d201b62d43696fa

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning. We  are  Star  Trek fans  of  the  highest  order  in  this  house. I  love  both  spinach  and  fish  in  any  form  . The  recipe  looks  great today,thanks Debbie. I  will  have  to  think  about  making  up  a  holiday.

We  have  another  warm  day(for  March) here  and  I  will  expand  upon  my  dog  walking  route later.These  days I  see  many  more  fellow  citizens  out  and  about after  our  winter  hibernation.The  cafe  owners  are  putting  tables  back  on  the  sidewalks  for  outdoor  dining which  makes  for  downright  crowded  conditions in  our  neighborhood. Most  people  are  masked,thankfully.

Terry

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am a HUGE Spock fan! As a child, I wanted to be a Vulcan.  I had to grow up a bit before I appreciated spinach, now it is one of my favorites - both raw & cooked.

I accept the offer to make up my own holiday. I pronounce today: International Dailyites Day! Here’s to the Editor-in-Chief, posters and readers! Celebrate us! Tonight I will toast us all!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. I appreciate the shout out, though I admit I still do not believe it. Maybe when I board the plane. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. That meal sounds great, Debbie! And Bindi would like it, too - without garlic. I just had salmon last night, so I will tuck this away for the future. Gee, just the name of the drink makes me think of a tropical paradise. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Well this wine led me on a wild chase! It is definitely on the sweet side, but not the sweetest Moscato. I could not find any critic reviews and the user reviews are all over the place. But that could be chalked up to the difference between sweet and dry wine lovers.  It also appears to be difficult to find, though I  found some international distributors with prices starting at under $7!   I can only imagine what shipping costs would be. 

Produced by Zonin, the owners of Castello del Poggio in Piedmont, Italy with floral aromas, light effervescence and sweet fruity flavors of Italy. They state: Straw-yellow with golden reflections and a delicate mousse. Intense bouquet and very inviting, with delicate scents of underbrush, musk and peaches. Sweet. Always a great choice for spicy or italian food! It is a fantastic wine with any type of food or simply to enjoy on its own.

• Like 27

A good stormy morning to everyone!  My goodness, this morning I awoke early to hear non-stop rolling thunder and lightning flashes every few seconds.  I'd never heard the thunder going continuously for at least 20 or 30 minutes.  The power went out briefly two times, so I waited a while to try the treadmill.  Then 20 minutes into my workout I heard more thunder overhead so shut it down early.  There's still storms just south of me so we are still on the watch for bad weather here.  Prayers to all in the path of the storms overnight including tornadoes in Alabama and Georgia.

We stopped in today's port of Rarotonga, Cook Islands in 2017 on the Maasdam.  That was the cruise my birthday was celebrated onboard two days in a row.  What fun that was!

We didn't schedule a tour here but heard from the destination expert that you could take a bus ride around the island quite easily and decided to do that.  

Being greeted upon arrival. enhance

Beautiful hillside views from our port town of Avatiu.enhance

Views from the bus along the route.enhance

enhance

enhance

Near the end of the bus tour. enhance

enhance

Back in town off the bus, we could browse all the goodies for sale at the market.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then we walked past the Catholic church.enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to the tender to the ship.enhance

I wish we were all there right now.enhance

enhance

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Hey Rich! Thanks for a great Daily! Good morning to my sisters and fellow Daily-ites. Roy, you know where you are in my heart.

I love Ann's idea of Daily-ites holiday! We are joining a bunch of couples for happy hour tonight and we will toast to us! Deeni are you still crazy busy on shots? I see California is going to ages 16 and up on the 15th of April. All the volunteers giving shots will have carpal tunnel!! 

Leaving in a few for some bloodwork for my sweet husband.  Will catch up later.

Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 23

I made up a holiday when my second grandchild was born. 'It's Not Your Birthday' and it has been celebrated in my family ever since. There are now six grandchildren in two sets of three.  When one has the real birthday, the traditional larger gift is given and the other her two children get a  smaller gift.  While the one still feels really special,  the other two don't feel left out. They love their It's Not Your Birthday cards that I make for them too. 😊

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. I hope we all live long and prosper. We will have miso salmon tonight. That’s as close as we can get to today’s meal suggestion.

Today is grandson number 3s 19th birthday. He was born on my father’s birthday at about 11:30 pm so he just made it a day we continue to celebrate. Between classes at college and various other activities today, he is so busy that we had to sign up for a time to call him as he’s also expecting calls from other family members.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A good stormy morning to everyone!  My goodness, this morning I awoke early to hear non-stop rolling thunder and lightning flashes every few seconds.  I'd never heard the thunder going continuously for at least 20 or 30 minutes.  The power went out briefly two times, so I waited a while to try the treadmill.  Then 20 minutes into my workout I heard more thunder overhead so shut it down early.  There's still storms just south of me so we are still on the watch for bad weather here.  Prayers to all in the path of the storms overnight including tornadoes in Alabama and Georgia.

We stopped in today's port of Rarotonga, Cook Islands in 2017 on the Maasdam.  That was the cruise my birthday was celebrated onboard two days in a row.  What fun that was!

We didn't schedule a tour here but heard from the destination expert that you could take a bus ride around the island quite easily and decided to do that.  

Being greeted upon arrival. enhance

Beautiful hillside views from our port town of Avatiu.enhance

Views from the bus along the route.enhance

enhance

enhance

Near the end of the bus tour. enhance

enhance

Back in town off the bus, we could browse all the goodies for sale at the market.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then we walked past the Catholic church.enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to the tender to the ship.enhance

I wish we were all there right now.enhance

enhance

Thank you for these pictures. That looks like a really beautiful island.

• Like 14

Good morning.  Super trekkie here.  I agree about creating the Dailites day.  Love spinach I prefer it cooked.  I, too, hope the lights of the theaters light up soon.  I do not care for salmon so DH only gets it on a ship.  It's hot, sticky,and gloomy here this morning. The pictures of Cook Island are wonderful.  Thank you for posting them.  Prayers for our care list and high fives for the Celebration/Shoutout list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Agua Fresca:

Agua fresca is an easy, refreshing fruit drink. And while it’s made from just fruit, water, lime juice, and a little sweetener, this combination will surely quench your thirst. Blend up a large jug of this for your next outdoor party or to enjoy in your backyard on a warm summer day.What Is Agua Fresca?

While it may sound like an exotic Mexican cocktail, agua frescas are non-alcoholic drinks made from fresh fruits, crisp veggies, or seeds. They’re commonly found in Mexico and Central America among street vendors. But bodegas, restaurants, and juice bars serve them as well, just as they serve another Mexican favorite, horchata.

Luckily, agua fresca is easy enough to make right at home. All you need is chopped fruit, water, sugar, and a blender – that’s it. Which leads into my next point as to why I love homemade aguas frescas. They’re made with all natural ingredients, they make the most of peak in-season fruits, and they’re much healthier than most store-bought fruit juices. So let’s get blending my friends.

Best Types Of Fruits To Use

While watermelon is one of the most popular kinds of agua frescas, there’s plenty of other options. It’s best to stick with naturally sweet fruits such as honeydew, or ones that are extremely refreshing such as cucumber. Some of my favorites include:

• Watermelon
  • Honeydew
  • Pineapple
  • Cantaloupe
  • Strawberries
  • Guava
  • Papaya
  • Cucumber

If I had to choose just one favorite though, it would be pineapple. So delicious! Also, note that other berries such as blackberries or blueberries aren’t great options as they’re too seedy or pulpy.How To Make Agua Fresca

This is what you’ll need.

• 4 cups freshly chopped fruit
  • 3 cups water
  • 1-2 tablespoon sugar (I’m using maple syrup)
  • 1 lime, juiced

Once you’ve got all your ingredients, here’s how you’ll blend them.

• Add the fruit, 3 cups of water, and sweetener to the blender. Puree until it’s completely smooth.
  • Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large pitcher. This isn’t required, but it does help to remove some sediment from fruits such as pineapple and cantaloupe.
  • Taste test to see if you’d like to add any more sweetness.
  • Serve immediately over ice, or refrigerate it for up to 72 hours.

Various agua fresca drinks on a table.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Like others, I intend to live long and prosper; a great idea to celebrate all Daily-ites, and though we don't have spinach often, I do enjoy it.  I took a look at the drink of the day and think it would be great with some Prosecco added to it!

There's a town in Alberta, Canada called Vulcan where Mr. Spock actually visited in 2010 for a ceremony naming Vulcan "The Official Star Trek Capital of Canada".  You'd think he was Canadian, because the first thing he did in his speech was apologize for not coming sooner.  LOL    There's a great replica of the Starship Enterprise that is a popular tourist photo stop.

image.png.b41477e794e37067f3cc1e74f44a7d9b.png

I love salmon, but we don't have fresh often, as it's so expensive here, but thinking about spinach reminds me I've got some feta and tomatoes, so will put together a great pasta dish tonight that incorporates all 3.  Along with garlic bread, I think that will make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to "clink" and toast all those on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29