Bank of America “my cruise rewards” Visa—no more Azamara

cruisestitch

Wow, that's the first I've heard about that sale.  I'm going to go do some research.  I'm real curious how much they got for it or if it was a fire sale.

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

FYI 

E1168763-366A-4492-876A-1A4293F84B0E.png

Edited by rmalbers

Here it is, I can't believe I missed that news:  sold to Sycamore Partners for $201 million  "

according to Royal Caribbean, this latest deal will allow the mega cruise company to "focus on expanding" its Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Silversea Cruises brands."   Interesting,   Silversea Cruises has 11 ships and Az had 4 so the move does kind of make since.

Edited by rmalbers

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Head over to the Azamara board, you’ll find all kinds of information about it.

I was very close to going for the Az cruise to Cuba right before they shut that down so have been there a little but not lately. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I plan to cash in BOA Visa points for OBC. I'm wondering if anyone knows if any unused OBC from this source is refundable or if it's a use it or lose it situation. 

I've read other posts saying that it is refundable. But if that's all you're using it for, it's not very good value (but I guess this isn't a thread to explain why there are many, many better credit card options than this card). 

2 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I've read other posts saying that it is refundable. But if that's all you're using it for, it's not very good value (but I guess this isn't a thread to explain why there are many, many better credit card options than this card). 

Thanks MisterBill99, I plan to spend down my points so I can close out this card, but want to be sure I don't end up with more OBC than I plan to spend on a cruise. Taking home the leftover OBC is a way for me to liquidate the points to my benefit. Thanks for your response!

But you're locked in to taking another Celebrity cruise in order to use your points.  That's what makes this type of credit card such a bad deal.  You're only getting 1% value; the worst cash-back cards give that – in actual cash that you can spend anywhere.

Given that We get double points on this card for booking cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, and that this card is not used for any other purchases, is it still such a bad deal?  If it is, what other card would you suggest?  We would be open to cancelling this one after we zero down the points,  but would like to know other good options.  We live in the US.

48 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Given that We get double points on this card for booking cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, and that this card is not used for any other purchases, is it still such a bad deal?  If it is, what other card would you suggest?  We would be open to cancelling this one after we zero down the points,  but would like to know other good options.  We live in the US.

You may want to look at this post (and the whole thread) that was posted in this forum a few weeks back.  And yes, the deal for points from RCL for credit card spend is bad.  You get your "double" points on RCL spend, but you can only cash them out with RCL and the expire five years after earning.  No opportunity to extend the life span.   Lots better choices out there, depending on your aspirational goals.

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Not a Costco member so besides the Citi card mentioned in that thread what’s another good option?  Are affinity cards always a bad deal?

As I said before, it depends on what YOU want to get back from your credit card spend.

Cards tend to fall into three categories:

1) Fixed cash back

2) Points in a particular program, only redeemable there

3) Flexible points that can be used in a variety of ways or transferred to other programs

Fixed cash back has the advantage of being a set return (rebate) back to the customer.  This has the virtue of a known benefit without much work on the part of the user.

Specific program gives you points in one place.  Good if you are going to a) use that product, b) generate enough spend to reach award levels, and c) get a return that is at least as good as what you would find with a cash back product.  Most specific affinity cards have a bad return - crunch the numbers.

Flexible points are good if you are willing to work at maximizing your returns.  Examples include Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi Thank You.  These have the advantage of being flexible in redemption options - you can use them as cash (at a usually bad rate of exchange) or transfer them to a variety of other programs (such as a specific airline or hotel program).

Once again....it depends on what YOU are aspiring towards.  If you want international business class flights, it makes no sense to put things on a hotel or cruise card.  If you want simple 2% rebates, it makes no sense to get a flexible reward card.  Also, are you going to put enough spend on the card to achieve those rewards -- it makes no sense to get an airline card that requires at least 25k pts to redeem if you aren't putting that kind of spend on the card.

Personally, I go for Amex Membership Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy -- both have dozens of airline transfer partners.  (Chase is also excellent in that regard, just have been an Amex user for a long time).  I also find value in putting spend on the Alaska Mileage Plan and Capital One Venture cards, as both have excellent redemption sweet spots.  But again, those are what fit MY needs -- yours may be entirely different.  And until you have some idea of what your aspirational goals are for your return, everything else is premature and without reference to YOU.

• Thanks 1