Port or Starboard on a Transpacific from Sydney to Honolulu

43 minutes ago, debs32 said:

Which side is better for Transpacific crossing from Sydney to Honolulu on the Ovation of the Seas? 

Belated welcome to CC.

It won't make much diff, unless you have some very specific definition of "better".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debs32 said:

Which side is better for Transpacific crossing from Sydney to Honolulu on the Ovation of the Seas? Thank you. 

If you have a verandah cabin and like to have sun, take the port side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Ummm, I think on an eastbound route, the sun will be on the starboard side (facing south) of the ship.

Well, my comment was based on the ship leaving Sydney for Hawaii in the March-May period and much of the trip will be in the southern hemisphere.  At that tome, the sun will be north of the equator.

Edited by d9704011

22 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It's a fair question really. I'm not going to this cruise but I'm curious to hear which side might have the ability to enjoy the sunsets from the balcony. 

Don't pick a side take the stern😇

56 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, my comment was based on the ship leaving Sydney for Hawaii in the March-May period and much of the trip will be in the southern hemisphere.  At that time, the sun will be north of the equator.

I agree the port north facing side will have the most sunshine and the side with the best view of the sunset. 

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robtulipe said:

I agree the port north facing side will have the most sunshine and the side with the best view of the sunset. 

First port is Pape'ete , Hawaii is due North so the sun rise on starboard and set port side.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

First port is Pape'ete , Hawaii is due North so the sun rise on starboard and set port side.

Yes but there are 7 sea days going east to Tahiti before the 5 sea days north to Hawaii after the Tahiti port stops.

There is a repeat Wednesday sea day in that first leg  because it crosses the Int. Date Line.

OvaTP.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I would choose the starboard side because you will have a beautiful view of the Opera House when you depart Sydney.  Coming into Honolulu the port side is better as you will get a view of Diamond Head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

I would choose the starboard side because you will have a beautiful view of the Opera House when you depart Sydney.  Coming into Honolulu the port side is better as you will get a view of Diamond Head.

The arrival often is still at dark, hence main priority would be the Opera house view upon departure 🙂

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Yes, it will tend to be pretty cool as you sail north of NZ.  So, if you want sun for warmth you want to be on the port.  The sun will shine on the floor of your deck all day long (assuming it is shining).  Once you leave Tahiti the sun will rise on the starboard and set on the port.  Although at this point you will probably want less sun to be on the balcony because it will be considerably warmer.  Have done this journey twice.  

59 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

You can see the opera house for the 30 minutes you are sailing out from any upper deck.  I would rather chase the sun for the next week...  JMHO

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Similar to the Statue of Liberty when sailing out of NY.

I did the same for both harbors... I was on the flowrider both times.  Got some great shots of both.  We actually sailed close to the Statue, we got lucky.  We attended a production of Carmen at the Opera house back in 2011 after a cruise that ended there.  I liked buying your champagne before the show and collecting it during intermission.  I can’t imagine doing that in the USA.