The Daily for Friday Apr 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is Good Friday, Reconciliation Day, and National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Meal suggestion for today - Contest-Winning Bavarian Meatball Hoagies

Drink of the Day - Viva La Vida

Wine of the day - Tement 2019 Kalk & Kreide Sauvignon Blanc (Südsteiermark) Austria

Port of the Day - Roseau Dominica

At Sea English Channel
Zaandam Destination Gibraltar

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/2

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0402USA.thumb.png.cf3627d0acd9d1fa7a7456a2c676324d.png

0402Europe.thumb.png.d80671b9280b4bc9f0b142ff08c88aee.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.  

The weather should warm up after yesterday's snow surprise.  When I came out from the pool there was at least a couple inches of snow on my car.  Enough that I had to get the scraper/brush out.  We're heading towards 70 for next week.  

Heading to the pool early today followed by a trip to the grocery store.  

Today's meal gets good reviews.  I'll probably skip it because of the bread and sugar content.  Too many carbs.  I could leave off the top piece of bread and make it open faced.  That would help.  I'm sticking with my fish and vegetables, probably broccoli.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-bavarian-meatball-hoagies/

Contest-Winning-Bavarian-Meatballs_EXPS_MTCBBZ17_35361_C02_24_3b.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Good Friday Daily, Rich.  Reconciliation is something most of us can use.  I'll pass on both the Hoagie and PBJ.  Nietzsche certainly had a point.  I don't specifically remember Roseau but am sure I've been there.  For the next month or so my alternate meal choices will include a 2014 World Cruise segment on MS Amsterdam from Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale.  At the time I did not get desert menus and was not yet taking pictures so my entries will be a bit sketchy.  April 2, 2014 was our first sea day and my suggestion is Maple Fruit Melange and Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast.

Today's care list:

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

St. Louis Cruiser DMIL

Rest in Peace Krazy Kruizers

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baseball opening day

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates                
Front Line Health Care Workers

Good visit of StLouisCruiser with DMIL

First jab for ger_77

Second jab for SharoninAZ

Nieuw Statendam coming to Everglades Saturday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Happy Good Friday.  I love PB&J.  Could eat one everyday.  Interesting quote and yummy meal.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Viva La Vida:

Viva la Vida
2 cl. CUBA Strawberry
2 cl. Coconut liquor
Sprite
Method:
Pour CUBA Strawberry over crushed ice. Add coconut Liqueur and top up with Sprite. Decorate with the zest of a lime. Fresh, bubbly, sweet and really delicious.

Two pictures I found of this drink.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 6.58.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 6.57.30 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

A good day for reconciliation.  I love peanut butter. 

Interesting quote.

The drink of the day looks tasty. 

The dinner suggestion looks good - maybe for another day.

I've never been to Dominica, looking forward to seeing pictures.

The snow we got yesterday melted 🙂 and we should have a sunny but cool day today.

Sending prayers for us all.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! The first two days seem to fit. Love peanut butter, but not a PB & J fan.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. We have a white wine today, but it might be a tough one to find. Powerful quote!  Pass on the meal. The drink of the day sounds too sweet, so I might substitute a brut champagne for the sprite. Of course then I would have to rename it. Off to Zumba early this morning.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Excellent ratings, lots of fans in the consumer ranks, and a decent price - if you can find it.  I found two Austrian distributors who ship to Florida, but I bet the shipping costs would be prohibitive. But this sounds like a nice SB.

Editor’s Note: Firm, cool and quite deep, still a little reductive and yeasty with polished yellow and green fruity aromas, floral nuances, herbs and clear, bright minerality. Clear, finely juicy, firm, light fruit, yeasty and light floral aromas, fine vegetable to herbal tones, a hint of ethereal, very fine acidity, some grip, persistent on the palate, clearly mineral, some depth, very good finish with rather cool juice and a hint of red berries

Review: Tement’s basic SB made of grapes from 55 (!) plots; 6 months on fine yeast in steel. Herbs, mineral, pepper, peach, cassis, later also ripe pear and subtle vegetable notes. Reductive style, kind of overly reductive: the (expected) fruit remains in the background even after breathing. Med body, dry with good punch and high acidity which needs time to slow down. Broad, versatile, but also quite demanding. Not your typical fruity driven SB. Interesting anyway! Needs plenty of time to open up.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Good Friday Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

A very Blessed Good Friday to all who observe:

CCBB5572-8683-4D20-A977-93426E682633.gif.2714997faa09af41aca7fb087d964d82.gif

Seems like a perfect day for reconciliation.

Love the quote by Nietzsche & seems so appropriate for these days.

Those hoagies sound tasty.  Unfortunately, no buns in the house so I’ll have to concoct something else ;;) @dfishI was surprised to hear your grocery stores were open on Good Friday.  Everything is pretty much closed here on Good Friday & Easter.

The drink of the day sounds intriguing and the wine of the day (YAY - white 😄 ) sounds fabulous.  HAL had an Austrian wine on board that I really enjoyed at a Sommelier / Cellar Master dinner.

I was at Dominica many years ago when I did more Caribbean cruises - I refuse to say how many years ago that was other than it was in the previous century 😉 My pictures are the old kind so alas, I can’t share.

@StLouisCruisersI hope you get more good moments with DMIL today 🙏🏻 

It poured yesterday - buckets.  The Saint John River is expected to reach flood level on Saturday now.  Trying to make some humour out of the water:

D5E4ABF9-2EF3-4607-9DFE-1FA86CD8A5AB.thumb.jpeg.fe14c7bcf56104007b6d99ec1c0529c9.jpeg

Happy to report that my groomer didn’t do an April Fool’s groom on Miko.  She teased me she was going to do a goldfish pattern 😉   Marley was very glad to have his brother back home.

BD6883D1-3ADB-4145-9DE8-216B3E19ABC5.thumb.jpeg.cafb39d9582e1dc4e5fa061fe91a8f58.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Good Friday everyone!  

1B87DE22-7480-47F5-9725-EC831990CF47.thumb.jpeg.7d76ee16ab8e5903b024b43aa00a8607.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich for our Daily and being so faithful!

Good morning sweet sisters, Roy and fellow Daily-ites.  We have not had peanut butter in our house for years. The wine sounds interesting Ann..

In all my later years attending Good Friday services I've always wanted to rush through the days to Easter Sunday. It's a yearly painful reminder of what our savior suffered for me..

Got the pergola approved and the gas line for fire pit and BBQ yesterday. Finally coming together. Hoping to be sitting on our porch having happy hour this afternoon!

Have a blessed day. Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was surprised to hear your grocery stores were open on Good Friday.  Everything is pretty much closed here on Good Friday & Easter.

Here in north central FL (and most of US) very few if any businesses close on Good Friday. Some groceries are closed on Easter but not many.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here in north central FL (and most of US) very few if any businesses close on Good Friday. Some groceries are closed on Easter but not many.

Wow!  What a difference!  I didn’t know that.  Thank you 🙂 

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A blessed Good Friday to all who honour this day.  Yes, it is a good day for reconciliation - it doesn't take much to offer an olive branch.  I could live on PB & J if I was stranded on a desert island!

Well we did the 1.5 hr drive to a small town (it's a very Ukrainian little place) for my first jab.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we got there without any issues, seeing some pretty countryside on the way - once in the church hall, everything was run like a well oiled machine.  I was in and out in 20 minutes.  When I came out, I did a little happy dance in front of the car and when I got in, DH asked me what kind of vaccine I'd received.  I looked at the card and told him "It says Astra-Borscht".  LOL  It was Pfizer.  😁  This morning it's like I never had a vaccination - my arm doesn't feel any different than it did yesterday - woo hoo!  One down and one to go for both of us!

I've never been a fan of meatball subs or hoagies - perhaps I'm too messy to be able to eat them properly, but have always ended up with one either on my blouse or lap, or rolling on the table.  I prefer them in a casserole or on top of spaghetti.  For today though, I think we'll have fish and chips, as there's a package of fish from the "ice cave" that is needing to be cooked up.  With some fresh vegetables and dip, that will make a good dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A tidbit for sailaway fans.  According to the PE schedule the Caribbean Princess is due to LEAVE port at 0730 and the Celebrity Equinox to arrive at 0800 today.

Roy

I happened to open the PE Webcam and here's what I caught . . . talk about timing!

image.thumb.png.7cb22a27b04421ce28e8a24bb32320f5.png

• Like 18

Happy Good Friday everyone!  

That menu recommendation looks good but I doubt we'd prepare that.  Today will be fish of some kind.  Maybe a tuna casserole for a change.  

I don't believe we've been to Roseau before but I see it's on the schedule for 2022 on the Grand S. America and Antarctica cruise.  Fingers crossed that one sails as scheduled.🤞

Thank you @kazuand everyone else for your kind words about our DMIL's phone call.  We mentioned to her it was Easter in a few days and of course she had no idea.  I look forward to the holidays on the calendar because the staff there takes photos of the residents with their little gifts and snacks they distribute.  At least, they try to get photos of as many as possible.  I'm sure Easter will be the same.  There were photos on their Facebook page for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and even Palm Sunday.  Of course not everyone gets their photo taken because many are napping a lot, like DMIL.  So we haven't seen her photo posted for a while.  

I see in the photo of Miko and Marley that they don't have any snowbanks to lounge upon.  Poor doggies!   But that means Jacqui is closer to planting all her seedlings.  Lots of work ahead of her!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25

Good Morning from a cool and windy day at the beach

Love Peanut butter and jelly. Could eat it everyday.  

I cancelled water aerobics today, there were whitecaps on the pool. Just too windy. Hard to believe this is April, more like January.

Believe it or not, I have been to todays port!  But no good pictures. 

Our friends called last nite and wanted us to join them on the Carnival Mardi Gras in November. We said No. Ship is toooo big! I will wait for HAL.

Our stores are all open today. Publix is closed on Easter. Probably the only one that closes.

StLouisCruisers- hope your DMIL is doing better. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 18

Hello everyone and good morning.  It's a beautiful afternoon here today, the sun is shining and there is no wind, not even a breeze.

11 am this morning I was just turning on the tv for 'Stations of the Cross' when my phone rang.  It was our GP to say they were doing vaccinations today and would I be ok with going on the standby list?  Needless to say I almost screamed 'YES' at her!  Don't get your hopes too high, she says, but if we have availability we will call you.  Two hours later and I have a slight hole in my left arm 😁. Ist  vax done and the second vax booked for Saturday 24th at same time as DW gets her second shot.    It gives me a totally new, exciting outlook to the future. 

Interesting that Zaandam is listing Gibraltar as her destination.

Thanks to everyone who continues to make this a 'refuge' during the pandemic.  To Rich and Roy for their unending dedication to the cause and of course the drinks ladies!

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 29

Thank you Rich and a blessed Western Good Friday to those who observe it. And a bright sunny good morning to all!

Our Pascha (Eastern Orthodox Easter) is a month later this year, on May 2. This peculiarity in the 2 Christian calendars usually causes a week or 2 difference but every few years we get a 4 week difference. 

The resurrected dogwood is coming into flower this weekend and will probably be proudly sporting a fetching cloak of luxurious white blooms by next week. We call her the resurrected dogwood because she looked to be stone dead for 3 straight years. I had planned to just scrap her and start fresh but ds said I couldn't because it was his birth tree, we planted it when he was born. So I left the sad little stump of a tree there and sure enough the very next year in spring, green started to pop out. Now she is big and beautiful and gives us the gift of her blossoms every year. So maybe like Charlie Brown's tree, she just needed a little love. 

Today is my big day. I was to take mom to the eye doctor today, lunch before. After the press release that all adults could be vaccinated, I called our doctor to ask if he thought it okay to go ahead and make appointments, we are close to 90 days post recovery but a few days off. He said it was fine with the usually cautions about side effects. I started looking around and most vaccine appointments were a week out in my area but mom's doctor is in a different county. I will have an hour to kill while she is in the office (no visitors) so what the hay. And sure enough, there was one for today not 10 mins from the office at just the right time. So first jab in arm today!! Hope it goes well.

Prayers and good thoughts to those on the list and hopes of a wonderful day for all. Take care.

• Like 28

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hello everyone and good morning.  It's a beautiful afternoon here today, the sun is shining and there is no wind, not even a breeze.

11 am this morning I was just turning on the tv for 'Stations of the Cross' when my phone rang.  It was our GP to say they were doing vaccinations today and would I be ok with going on the standby list?  Needless to say I almost screamed 'YES' at her!  Don't get your hopes too high, she says, but if we have availability we will call you.  Two hours later and I have a slight hole in my left arm 😁. Ist  vax done and the second vax booked for Saturday 24th at same time as DW gets her second shot.    It gives me a totally new, exciting outlook to the future. 

Interesting that Zaandam is listing Gibraltar as her destination.

Thanks to everyone who continues to make this a 'refuge' during the pandemic.  To Rich and Roy for their unending dedication to the cause and of course the drinks ladies!

Congrats to both of you on getting your "jabs"!  Even if it hurts, it feels good!!😉

• Like 12

Good morning everyone. Happy Good Friday to all who celebrate this holiday.

I’m another who loves peanut butter and Jelly and could live on it if stranded or if we lost power. I never had it as a child and it wasn’t until I had my own children that I first bought it.

My non attendance at the hygienist during the covid pandemic since July has resulted in my developing pockets in my gums so next Monday and Tuesday I will have four quadrants of deep scaling to the tune of $500 for each plus $100 on two days for nitrous. That amounts to $2200. Yikes is all I can say but it’s necessary in order to correct gum issues and not lose teeth. Yes, my dentist is very expensive but also very good. Being the wife of a dentist, I never paid for any dentistry while he practiced. It sure is costly.

Stay safebeveryone.

Carol

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Thank you Rich and a blessed Western Good Friday to those who observe it. And a bright sunny good morning to all!

Our Pascha (Eastern Orthodox Easter) is a month later this year, on May 2. This peculiarity in the 2 Christian calendars usually causes a week or 2 difference but every few years we get a 4 week difference. 

The resurrected dogwood is coming into flower this weekend and will probably be proudly sporting a fetching cloak of luxurious white blooms by next week. We call her the resurrected dogwood because she looked to be stone dead for 3 straight years. I had planned to just scrap her and start fresh but ds said I couldn't because it was his birth tree, we planted it when he was born. So I left the sad little stump of a tree there and sure enough the very next year in spring, green started to pop out. Now she is big and beautiful and gives us the gift of her blossoms every year. So maybe like Charlie Brown's tree, she just needed a little love. 

Today is my big day. I was to take mom to the eye doctor today, lunch before. After the press release that all adults could be vaccinated, I called our doctor to ask if he thought it okay to go ahead and make appointments, we are close to 90 days post recovery but a few days off. He said it was fine with the usually cautions about side effects. I started looking around and most vaccine appointments were a week out in my area but mom's doctor is in a different county. I will have an hour to kill while she is in the office (no visitors) so what the hay. And sure enough, there was one for today not 10 mins from the office at just the right time. So first jab in arm today!! Hope it goes well.

Prayers and good thoughts to those on the list and hopes of a wonderful day for all. Take care.

That's fantastic!  Today is obviously your lucky day.

• Like 7