Promising news from MIami

4 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

According to the latest news and media source reports, much of the Upper Midwest and the Northeast have had recent spikes? Those points still do not exclude the Southern States from the eventual spread. Could possibly be that the visitors to both "Texas and Florida" carried the Virus symptoms back from those States while visiting? I am not and/or do not attest to having any Medical training. However, I do have the ability to read, see and hear the Medical Experts and their ongoing commentary. They all agree that we should still be very cautious and not acquire a "False" sense of security because of the vaccine disbursements.    

I too visited a Government facility where I was asked and mandated to remove "both of my mask and yes I am wearing two as suggested" and replace them with their handed out version. I am truly glad that they are taking these types of safety measures. Maybe more States, businesses and establishments will follow this safety lead.  

Makes a person wonder , that the 'experts' feel that your "two masks" where not adequate for safety?  We have the same here also, they are passing out medical masks to get the vaccine.  I was wearing a N95 and they said I was good with it.  I keep thinking these masks are a band aid on a gaping wound.

29 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds very reasonable. I was kind of hoping for some common sense. We'll be in PB again mostly this time and some time around the water front and thereabouts. Myself and my wife have had both shots and I generally don't like wearing masks when walking outside and such. My wife has some concerns about the ocean front walk for our kids as it's been very crowded on previous visits. I'd like to take the kids to Belmont park but she is a bit sketch on that as well because the kids aren't vaccinated. This was supposed to be our cruise week but I'm looking forward to some relaxing beach time also and we love San Diego.  

Heat wave here right now. Not sure when the last time you were here but at the waterfront nearest downtown you have a great playground at the SD County Administrative building and right across the street the demo'd the old Anthonys Fish Grotto and put in a super nice Miguels (mexican fare) and Brigantine Seafood. There is also a coffee shop and gelato shop. 

Be warned, downtown is a mess. TONS of homeless as the numbers are increasing as they've been recently kicked out of the convention center to make way for the migrant families. Lots of shops and restaurants are OOB.

Coronado is nice. Little Italy has a neat new big courtyard area with new food places etc. It's pretty nice. I would park a couple blocks away and walk in.

PB should be pretty chill since most of the Arizona folks have left. Watch out near bars though. Lots of random attacks on people.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Because the cruise lines have not submitted to the CDC individual protocols for each class of ship that they have.  Carnival would have to provide 8 different protocols, one for each class in the fleet as to what the procedures would be if someone tested positive on board. 

There are many hoops that need to be jumped through before cruising will return.  Many people do not realize that Carnival currently has eight different classes of ships in their fleet and the procedures would be different for each.  The CDC wants all of the i's to be dotted and all of the t's to be crossed before they allow cruising to resume in the US.  It's not a simple procedure.

Ah, the heavy hand of Giverment........it's endless...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Heat wave here right now. Not sure when the last time you were here but at the waterfront nearest downtown you have a great playground at the SD County Administrative building and right across the street the demo'd the old Anthonys Fish Grotto and put in a super nice Miguels (mexican fare) and Brigantine Seafood. There is also a coffee shop and gelato shop. 

Be warned, downtown is a mess. TONS of homeless as the numbers are increasing as they've been recently kicked out of the convention center to make way for the migrant families. Lots of shops and restaurants are OOB.

Coronado is nice. Little Italy has a neat new big courtyard area with new food places etc. It's pretty nice. I would park a couple blocks away and walk in.

PB should be pretty chill since most of the Arizona folks have left. Watch out near bars though. Lots of random attacks on people.

Thanks for the tips. We were there last in 1999 and stayed in Mission Bay but didn't really leave the resort much as they had everything from waterslides to jetskis and onsite beer and food..lol. Coronado will be our next SD visit for sure. Jet Skiing under the Coronado Bridge and all over the bay is still one of my fondest memories of SD and my kids loved the pool at the Sheraton. Will definitely avoid downtown and don't have many plans beyond a bay cruise (need to get on the water dangit) and possibly the zoo. I have read about the attacks in the PB area (PB monthly police blotter) and it is quite concerning. Don't plan to be hanging at bars much anyway, may grab some grub or a local beer during the day but that's about it. Good looking out on the info though. Appreciate it!      

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Thanks for the tips. We were there last in 1999 and stayed in Mission Bay but didn't really leave the resort much as they had everything from waterslides to jetskis and onsite beer and food..lol. Coronado will be our next SD visit for sure. Jet Skiing under the Coronado Bridge and all over the bay is still one of my fondest memories of SD and my kids loved the pool at the Sheraton. Will definitely avoid downtown and don't have many plans beyond a bay cruise (need to get on the water dangit) and possibly the zoo. I have read about the attacks in the PB area (PB monthly police blotter) and it is quite concerning. Don't plan to be hanging at bars much anyway, may grab some grub or a local beer during the day but that's about it. Good looking out on the info though. Appreciate it!      

Be sure to book your reservations for the zoo! No walk ins! A number of museums at Balboa Park should be open as well. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Again the  numbers show Florida has less of a spike that ny. I don't get why people are posting it's not ok what florida is doing, but never mention ny and nj spiking. I'm not saying one is ok or one not, just posting totally biased equals posting politics, nothing else. 

....because it doesn't fit the agenda.  I would be the person you are having this conservation with lives in NJ, a state with worse numbers than the one they are complaining about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But we're doing better than they are is a tired old invalid argument. Are you doing all you can? Measure against yourself.

Sure the US contributes to Global Warming, but XYZ is worse doesn't justify the US not doing more. Don't be so proud.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Having all pax vaccinated is half the battle.  The other half is getting the crew vaccinated.  That will require specific logistics, especially here in FL where online appt bookings are getting filled up super fast.  e.g. as I type this, 6 hours after the Publix bookings opened up for Mon/Tues, they are all 100% gone (except for two counties at less than 1% availability) - probably almost all gone by 9am, as is usual.

It will take some "negotiating" by CLIA and/or the cruise lines individually to get a hold of vaccines (and appropriately trained personnel capable of administering).  I'm sure (I hope?) that stuff is happening in the background, we just aren't seeing it.

Well, another bigger "half" of the battle might be finding enough foreign ports willing to take vaccinated cruisers - hopefully that is also starting to open up.

Maybe next week we can get some good news from the CDC and industry.  The CDC can claim they took reasonable precautions up until now, but things are finally looking better.  CLIA can claim the pressure they applied recently about re-starting cruising worked, and they are a very good organization for the industry.  And the local FL politicians call put their own spin on how they made it work "for the people and businesses of Florida".

We're booked for a cruise in Dec 2021, which I am now fairly sure will go as planned, but I'd gladly hop on a 3 or 4 day cruise in July/Aug/Sept/Oct as our first vacation in 18 months.

Yes, yes and yes!! Florida is a large state and many of the politicians here so not agree with his highness, as evidenced by the "sue" slap which I found amusing. 🙂 RE the vaccinations, I tried the Publix route but the waiting list worked efficiently and quickly, DH is fully vaccinated and I am halfway there. 

We are hopeful for you for December and us for January...so close I an almost see the ship sailing. 🙂 And I too would hop on one Sept/Oct as well!!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:59 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds very reasonable. I was kind of hoping for some common sense. We'll be in PB again mostly this time and some time around the water front and thereabouts. Myself and my wife have had both shots and I generally don't like wearing masks when walking outside and such. My wife has some concerns about the ocean front walk for our kids as it's been very crowded on previous visits. I'd like to take the kids to Belmont park but she is a bit sketch on that as well because the kids aren't vaccinated. This was supposed to be our cruise week but I'm looking forward to some relaxing beach time also and we love San Diego.  

If we had handled this with an ounce of common sense in the first place we might not be in this mess.  Unfortunately the don't tread on me crowd thinks common sense flys in the face of their freedom.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, skridge said:

If we had handled this with an ounce of common sense in the first place we might not be in this mess.  Unfortunately the don't tread on me crowd thinks common sense flys in the face of their freedom.

It's a virus, you aren't going to stop it. You can only hope to slow it down until people get some kind of immunity (natural, vaccine or both). Not everyone thinks shutting the country down is common sense. 

• Like 4

In Florida starting today 18+ year olds are eligible to get vaccinated.

my daughter 24 signed in last night and got her fist shot this morning, next shot scheduled 21 day later.

vaccines , developed in a year and in people arms .. this is exciting news and to me it means this virus and all it’s death for the older , sicker and overweight folk will come to a end .

1 hour ago, d12j28 said:

It's a virus, you aren't going to stop it. You can only hope to slow it down until people get some kind of immunity (natural, vaccine or both). Not everyone thinks shutting the country down is common sense. 

Experts say shutdowns are effective because they reduce social interaction. Experts and studies conclude that there is no single approach that is effective by itself - you need to use all tools available. Slowing the virus down gives healthcare workers a much needed break and buys time for research to come up with better prevention and treatment options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Experts say shutdowns are effective because they reduce social interaction. Experts and studies conclude that there is no single approach that is effective by itself - you need to use all tools available. Slowing the virus down gives healthcare workers a much needed break and buys time for research to come up with better prevention and treatment options.

And how each state went about (and still goes about now) those shutdowns are what everyone disagrees on. Some think they should shut down more, others think they shouldn't shut down at all. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

In Florida starting today 18+ year olds are eligible to get vaccinated.

my daughter 24 signed in last night and got her fist shot this morning, next shot scheduled 21 day later.

Hopefully your daughter has no side effects from the Pfizer shot.

5 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

And how each state went about (and still goes about now) those shutdowns are what everyone disagrees on. Some think they should shut down more, others think they shouldn't shut down at all. 

Some people disagree about everything. It seems like more countries practice some form of shutdown than not.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

And yet the virus is still with us.

Not so sure it will be " Eliminated", maybe controlled as now. But, we've already started the drumbeat of Variant B117, The South African Variant,  The Brazilian Variant, yada, yada. Sounds like some sore arms ahead.

2 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Not so sure it will be " Eliminated", maybe controlled as now. But, we've already started the drumbeat of Variant B117, The South African Variant,  The Brazilian Variant, yada, yada. Sounds like some sore arms ahead.

Yes, I can see a whole sea  of needed  boosters coming.

59 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Hopefully your daughter has no side effects from the Pfizer shot.

Yes that’s is her and our hope. Wife and I had it with no issues.

she had her choice moderna, J&j or Pfizer.. she picked Pfizer  due to her friends her around her  having it as they are doctors  

On 4/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, jetsfan58 said:

Nice if verifiable. We still have to comply with the Experts and continue to wear our masks when congregating together. Florida still scares me as the masses are shown not following the guidelines. Again, how safe will we be as passengers and visitors to Florida when cruising? 

Verifiable? What other proof do you need. It was all over the news.